It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:06

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Sep 2020, 09:06 • #1 
Guide
I was looking for a multi piece glass rod for walkin ponds and lakes where a 2 piece is a pain,
the CGR seemed to be just the solution..................

You know when you fish a rod the first time and are just wowed by it-
so far that wow factor has not happened and I think it might be just me.
Recently got the 7/8 CGR and have fished it twice so far.

First to note- all my glass rods are Vintage Fenwicks. I love them. Period- tons of wow factor everytime I fish them.

The CGR is very slow compared to my Fens. That may be the issue. I have never fished a rod this soft before.
The CGR casts "ok" . I was throwing a full sink 7 weight line as the fish have gone deep. The Fen 756 (1973 vintage) throws that line like a bazooka in comparison. The Fen throws that line as well as my graphites.
The line loaded the CGR. Was not getting the usual distance I get with the Fen.
I also had the third section come free of the rod- not happy about that- especially fishing from a float tube.

From a fish playing perspective- the slow tip made catching enjoyable- we are talking good size gills, yellows and small bass this morning. Even the small gills put on a decent bend in the rod.

So, I know volumes have been written about the 7/8 CGR and many fish this rod. Maybe someone can comment on what I am missing from the experience. Maybe I was expecting something different. THX
PLEASE note- I really want to love this rod- especially for the price point but.................. thx

Post 26 Sep 2020, 10:35 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I am not fond of trying to describe a rods action.... but as you noted, the 7/8 is slow, and different. With me and most rods, I can find a line that they love with some experiments, I use my 7/8 mostly fishing poppers with an 8wt floating line and enjoy it.

I have had so many rods that didn't "wow" till I picked em up a second or third time, often with a different line.

Post 26 Sep 2020, 12:12 • #3 
Master Guide
All my glass rods are vintage Fenwick's (plus one Phillipson). Several years ago I bought a 5/6 CGR. No matter what line/line weight I used, it just didn't work for me. And the swing weight was heavy for me. I recently gave it to a friend hoping it works for him. I hope you can find the right combination.

Post 26 Sep 2020, 12:17 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I took my CGR 7-8 back, it had a double hinge in the mid section and should have been labeled 5-6, imo, But for a fair assessment from a user read bulldog1935 here; viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64518&hilit=7%2F8+weight+CGR

Post 26 Sep 2020, 13:40 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I have and like the CGR 7/8, and a number of Fenwicks. FWIW, I’ve never used a sinking line on the CGR, but I’d say generally it’s not a rod to use if looking for distance; it’s accurate and pleasant at shorter distances, and gives nice feedback when there are lots of bream getting hooked up amongst the bass.

And I don’t have an FF756, and although I do have an FF756-4, I think my FF786 might be a closer match for your two piece FF756. I’ve not used a 7wt full sink on the FF786 (and rarely 6wt sink), but I’d expect greater distance from it than the CGR.

In short, if shooting distance with a 7wt full sink line is the primary role you have for the CGR 7/8, that may just not be the rod for that role for you.

Post 26 Sep 2020, 19:01 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
For me it is a 5wt.. But, I'm sure others have played with it more and found lines that make it work for them.

I would recommend a 7' Para/Metric over this rod in everyway for a short rod to throw an eight weight line. With the exception of portability.

That said, I think I still have a couple of the previous model in storage that have never been used. Just can't resist a closeout sale.

Barry

Post 26 Sep 2020, 20:54 • #7 
Guide
I love my Fenwicks as well.. that being said I do like the cgr for other reasons.... 2 completely different actions so it does pay to play with other lines.

Post 26 Sep 2020, 22:39 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I don’t think you’re missing out on anything. I’ve cast every CGR. My reaction for each was Ugh, not Wow. CGR’s work for a new cheap price. That’s about it. That seems to be acceptable for some folks but with minimal research there are MUCH better used rods that can be had for the same or even less.

Post 27 Sep 2020, 12:31 • #9 
Guide
I agree with dusty.

My first introduction to glass was a cgr and prime rod I bought for the cheap price.

I thought glass was in the past based on that experience.

Then a friend let me borrow his dad's fenwick. It was a 7/8 weight 9' model. It was a real windy day only had a wf6wt but could roll cast for days.. Effortless and fun with 12 to 14 inch fish.

Now I am addicted to glass because each one has its own personality.

As Crusty said with research and patience you can find better rods at similar prices or slightly more. For example I have a few rods that to my door paid less than $60. Fenwick ff70, heddon 8381, berkley parametric, conolon pack rod, and a harnell too. Each one is way more fun and enjoyable than a cgr.

Post 27 Sep 2020, 12:46 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
CrustyBugger wrote:
with minimal research there are MUCH better used rods that can be had for the same or even less.
yep

Post 29 Sep 2020, 08:06 • #11 
Guide
thanks to all for comments
epilogue= I fished my Fenwicks this morning. the wow and love returned immediately.
sticking with the Fens.

New Topic Add Reply