It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:25

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Loose Spigot
Post 19 Jul 2020, 17:49 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Recently picked up a para/metric that spigot seats completely and sections touch..

Is there something I can put on the spigot to make it a little wider?

I have two of this these 7' para/metrics and the tip from the problem rod fits fine on the non problem butt section, so appears it is the spigot that is too worn.

Thanks--Barry

Re: Loose Spigot
Post 19 Jul 2020, 20:26 • #2 
Master Guide
Several coats of Garffitolin ferrule wax from Loon should give you at least another 1/8" spacing. Worked for me.

Heddonist

Post 19 Jul 2020, 22:36 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I'm cheap and good wax was $10.00 to the door. So took a candle and gave spigot couple swipes and gained about 1/4" of space.

Is there any reason to not use candle wax?

Thanks--Barry

Last edited by GRASSNGLASS on 19 Jul 2020, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post 19 Jul 2020, 22:50 • #4 
Sport
I’ve used minwax pro series Water based spar urethane to build up a ferrule to good effect so far.

Post 20 Jul 2020, 09:11 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I've used candle wax. Also used beeswax. One is probably better than the other, but I don't know which :)

And I have used epoxy, it needs such a thin film, you pretty much wipe it on then wipe it all off. That is about the right amount.

Post 20 Jul 2020, 12:32 • #6 
Sport
For small adjustments, I often use super glue, wiped on and wiped off, on the carbon-fiber spigots of my composite ferrules (bamboo rods). The coating sticks very well (on clean spigots), is very durable, is thin so more than one coat is possible, and can be sanded back off with 600 grit paper.

Tim

Post 20 Jul 2020, 14:23 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Great information from all.

Thanks--Barry

Post 20 Jul 2020, 14:33 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
There was an article on this in Rodbuilder Magazine a few years ago.(I believe that was the title).They said to cut a small section off of the female ferrule(1/8 to 1/4 of an inch). The only thing is you may have to rewrap the ferrule.I did this with my Parametric and it worked perfectly.I have also done this with a tip over butt ferrule but you have to figure out which ferrule is loose.

Post 20 Jul 2020, 20:44 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
GRASSNGLASS wrote:
I'm cheap and good wax was $10.00 to the door. So took a candle and gave spigot couple swipes and gained about 1/4" of space.

Is there any reason to not use candle wax?

Candle wax is a lubricant and will make the ferrule seat deeper. (not what you want)
Beeswax is sticky and may do a better job. I use it when the tip likes to fall off. You put some on and burnish it a bit with leather or something. The friction melts it a bit.

or as thin a coat of epoxy as possible. Thin some epoxy and put some on and wipe it off. the film that is left can be sanded after it cures if you need to take a touch of.

Post 20 Jul 2020, 21:54 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
All good suggestions above. For a product that goes on thin and is tough, consider U40 Perma Gloss. Try and find someone who has a bottle, though, as it can be a one-time-use item if you don't flood the bottle with Bloxygen and keep it refrigerated. Otherwise it will cure in the bottle after opening.

Post 21 Jul 2020, 07:35 • #11 
Master Guide
What Tomah said----I have used this on several rods with good results.
Gary

Post 22 Jul 2020, 09:03 • #12 
Sport
I'll second the graffolin wax from Loon. The tip of my F2 was seating a little loose and would come off occasionally. I added the wax and haven't had any issues.

Post 26 Jul 2020, 23:41 • #13 
Master Guide
What Tomah and Midmofly said. I have also had good results with Perma Gloss for building up a male spigot ferrule for a nice fit.

Post 08 Aug 2020, 10:24 • #14 
+1 on the Perma Gloss fix. Works great. Getting that stuff not to harden in the bottle... that is a much more complex can of worms (or bottle of Perma Gloss). If the spar urethane works, I would definitely rather go with that.

Post 04 Sep 2020, 08:00 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I do as Tim suggests and use super glue. Works great and have done it many times.

Bob

Post 04 Sep 2020, 08:12 • #16 
Guide
If Bob uses super glue that is good enough for me.

On my rods that tend to come loose or need a little bigger gap and I just need a little something, I have used Loon Ferrule wax with good results.

https://loonoutdoors.com/products/graff ... errule-wax

Post 05 Sep 2020, 13:07 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
BobHa wrote:
I do as Tim suggests and use super glue.

But now it's a one-piece rod. 8)

Post 03 Nov 2020, 21:54 • #18 
Master Guide
im bumping this old thread to update with my experience using Griffitolin. it works well keeping the ferrels together BUT: it is tacky and sand particles can stick to it causing more issues. if you put a small amount on the tip of the male end it might be ok but if you use to much it will work its self out of the joint and the black substance will get on your rod sock at best, at worst it gets on your fly line and scrapes off on your snake guides and the tacky texture will slow your line down to the point that it is very noticeable. YMMV. for me i will be trying the super glue method next especially since it does not attract dirt.

Post 05 Nov 2020, 02:10 • #19 
Master Guide
I'm considering trying the superglue method on one of my rods. Whats the trick to applying it without becoming "one" with your rod?

Post 05 Nov 2020, 18:12 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
That is one of the reasons I use epoxy!! I have had a couple of "interesting" experiences with superglue, though it certainly has it's very useful applications.

I have a box of nitrile gloves on the tackle bench, I use em for lots of things, including dealing with superglue and epoxy.

Post 05 Nov 2020, 19:41 • #21 
Guide
A very thin coat of clear nail polish has always worked well for me.
Fast, cheap, easy.
Sand off if necessary; but have never needed to.
I also use it for clicking ferrules.

Post 06 Nov 2020, 06:55 • #22 
Piscator
Holdover wrote:
I'm considering trying the superglue method on one of my rods. Whats the trick to applying it without becoming "one" with your rod?

buy the thinnest, wetting superglue you can find - if you want a recommendation, Zap CA+ pink label.
Apply enough so that you have a rolling drop on the male ferrule you can follow to make sure everything is wetted - then shake off that drop. You can do this above a paper towel to catch the drop. When it's done, should look like you haven't done anything - that's the exact correct thickness.
Otherwise, don't get it on your fingers.

I've done this once, but only where plain old Gulfwax wasn't enough to solve the problem.
However, I do the same thing to every braid knot I tie.

Post 06 Nov 2020, 13:01 • #23 
Master Guide
Got it, thanks.

I was thinking you needed to smear it on somehow. Sounds like gravity will aid in coating it.

Using bees wax currently but worry attracted particles will damage the thin blank walls of the River Rat I'm using it on.

Post 06 Nov 2020, 13:33 • #24 
Piscator
you're welcome

I really like plain old candle paraffin - Gulfwax - it's just not soft enough to stick foreign material, by definition always leaves only a thin film, and happens to be recommended by the late Joe Fisher for all his spigot ferrules.
I actually do something similar on my spendy stainless bicycle chains, molten speed wax in a double boiler - when I dissolve it in mineral spirits to renew, never recover more than a watermark of soft clay. Before, using wet lube, I would get a teaspoon of sand and wear particles from my chain (gear cogs, and worse - my 47 hen's-tooth TA alloy chainring).

About that bottle of Zap CA+, if you keep the tip clean, close both clean caps then double bag it in rolled-up ziplocs, can keep it for a couple of years.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 07 Nov 2020, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Nov 2020, 01:49 • #25 
Master Guide
Good to know (and interesting) on the paraffin, I've got a lifetime supply of that as well.. Probably save it for other rods, the Rat is down to almost zero gap and I'd like to use something a little more permanent

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply