It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:01

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Jul 2020, 11:10 • #1 
Master Guide
Serious question - and though I'm trying to keep the thread apolitical - events this year have lead me to a path of trying to buy American made products whenever I can, or at least keep my purchases of gear made in China to an absolute minimum - from flash lights to fishing gear to clothes.

As I have replaced my conventional rods or needed new, I've been going with G Loomis stuff. They have a line of conventional rods that retail for $200-350 that are American made just a little north of me in Woodland, Washington and they're fun tools to fish with. They seem to have discontinued their Pro4X / ShortStyx line of rods, or at least I cannot find them in retailers anymore, and my wallet isn't quite fat enough right now to spring for the more expensive stuff they offer.

I'm wondering if there are any American fly rod makers, building on American made blanks who are offering a glass rod (or even a good carbon rod) that's 8' or less in the 6-8 weight range for $350 or less? Something comparable to the Echo BAG Quickshot, but made in the states. Might be hard to come by because of the niche market of fly fishing compared to conventional-tackle bass or trout fishing. I think Echo rods are made in Korea, so if I can't find an American rod in that price range I'll probably wind up with the Echo.

Post 13 Jul 2020, 12:45 • #2 
Master Guide
I think Echo as well as Redington rods are made in China. TFO rods are made in South Korea. You might have to look for used American rods for what your looking for

Post 13 Jul 2020, 13:25 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I was introduced to this company via another website. I have no knowledge or experience with their products, but I like what I read and the price point for some of their rods is right in your price range:

https://waltonrods.com/

I would also venture to guess that if you sourced an American made blank you liked, you could find someone to build you a first rate rod for that price.

BTW - I like the way you think.

Post 13 Jul 2020, 14:45 • #4 
Administrator
mmckenzie wrote:
Serious question - and though I'm trying to keep the thread apolitical...

Thank you for that. My hope is this site will be a refuge from the rest of the internet.

mmckenzie wrote:
I'm wondering if there are any American fly rod makers, building on American made blanks who are offering a glass rod (or even a good carbon rod) that's 8' or less in the 6-8 weight range for $350 or less?

Price wise, watch the For Sale offers here. Some of our smaller builders offer new rods in that price range. There are sometimes 'pre-loved' big name, American made rods. Not to mention there are some great classic rods offered cheap.

You could build a rod yourself and stay within budget, or maybe persuade a builder to work on a blank that you provide. For a start, there are American made glass fly rod blanks from Lamiglas, Ameriglass, North Fork Composites, Steffen Brothers, and ********* Rods (I feel I'm forgetting someone). Some of the big names, such as Sage, Scott, Winston, and T&T roll their own rods and occasionally blanks are available. There are non-Chinese blanks available from CTS, Epic, and others (I'm definitely forgetting a couple of someones). American made reel seats and rod guides are readily available. Sorry, the cork is going to come from overseas. Friends don't let friends built fly rod grips from foam. :)

All that said, a modern, 6-8 weight rod, of 8 foot or less, is a tough get. The market has gone 'long'. There are some options in the sources linked above. Are you opposed to considering a classic? such as a Fenwick Feralite FF756 or FF807? The FF756 is marked as a 6 weight, but I think it sings better with a WF7 line. The Fenwick FF807 is another possibility (I like this rod with WF8 lines). Both rods are often available for small money compared to new.

Tom

Post 13 Jul 2020, 18:51 • #5 
Master Guide
I've given thought to the classic stuff - but right now I'm more inclined for a new purchase if I can find what I'm after. A Sage Bass II - their Smallmouth version would actually be the bees knees for what I want to do with it *but* I've struck out on finding one, I keep an eye on eBay and the local forums. A Loomis ShortStyx 8 weight would likewise work. I did have a gent offer up a McFarland 8'2 that I'm considering too.

Post 13 Jul 2020, 19:52 • #6 
Guide
Don't know if you are handy with making up rods from blanks but you can get Steffen and McFarland blanks for the $180-300 ballpark and put on your choice of components. overall cost might be at your max depending on level of components added. Mark Steffen kindly provided me with guide spacing and size measurements he uses so i was able to make up rods with his proportions.

edit - the McFarland blank I refer to is the Ameriglass series at anglers workshop.

Post 13 Jul 2020, 22:03 • #7 
Master Guide
I have rolled a few rods, they're no where near as pretty as a factory blank, but they've fished

Post 14 Jul 2020, 11:30 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Keep your eyes open, you'll find something. I really like my McFarland 8'8" 8wt although I do prefer rods closer to 8'...that 8'2" would be a sweet compromise.

As others have stated, the 'classic' market might be another place to look. My 7'6" Berkley Gowdy 6/7 is incredibly versatile.

Post 14 Jul 2020, 13:57 • #9 
Guide
I agree with Tom , keep your eyes open for rods right here in the for sale forum , many times there a far better options from the exceptional builders right here , made on ********* /Steffen / McFarland /L. Kenney and others , even some vintage American made pieces , talk to any of these builders clearing out stock or used stock , might be towards the higher end of your price range but far exceptional in quality and custom tailorings , many builders here will use American Made hardware and /or craft much of it themselves , and they will all Happily discuss anything with you ...

Post 16 Jul 2020, 20:12 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
A little above your price range but the Orvis Superfine series is made in the US.

Post 19 Jul 2020, 15:25 • #11 
Guide
St. Croix is a seriously underrated maker that still builds fly rods in Wisconsin at reasonable prices. My 4 weight Legend Ultra is a great rod that was sold at half the price of high-end builders and still had quality components and great performance. That said, you’re looking at graphite, not glass.

Post 19 Jul 2020, 16:35 • #12 
Master Guide
Graphite or glass - if I found the right glass rod - that being one that cast very much like the Echo BAG Quickshot - made here in the states, I'd be in heaven. My streamer rod search is on hold for the moment since I just picked up a bamboo rod that didn't know I needed until I found it :lol

I should stop acquiring things for now, because we're trying to get packed up in preps to move cross country. I was going to get a 6" diameter PVC tube for storing the rods that don't have their own hard cases in, I might need to shoot for an 8 incher or a couple 6 inchers at this point. I've got about a dozen conventional rods that need taken, half of which are one-piece.

Post 16 Sep 2020, 20:17 • #13 
Sport
St. Croix is still making a model of graphite rod for under your budget. That is about it. Anything under that is mostly made on Asian products, or outright completely made in Asia.

Post 29 Dec 2020, 10:12 • #14 
Sport
I believe the Orvis SFG are USA made. You can find them used for that range no problem.

Post 29 Dec 2020, 10:47 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
What about North Fork? Are they rolling in the USA?
EDIT - yes they do. They don’t have a short heavy glass blank (maybe in graphite - they have a lot of models), but the price is right especially if you catch one of their frequent sales. Also if you dont need it in a hurry.

Post 29 Dec 2020, 14:46 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
While the NFC 8 & 10wts are longer, they don't feel like it in hand (at least the 10, I haven't built my 8wt blank yet).

Post 06 Jan 2021, 21:19 • #17 
Guide
Shane Gray, www.graywolfrods.com, has a new Blue Halo 7'6" 4wt. rod for $425.00 + shipping. Shane makes great rods and you can contact him to see about building out a blank at the upper end of your price range.

Tom

Post 07 Jan 2021, 09:26 • #18 
Sport
A new purchase, American built and on an American built blank 8 feet or less in 6 to 8 weight under $350 will not be so easy. If supplying a blank you will also have to consider a bag, tube and double shipping in the case it’s a blank the builder doesn’t carry, in addition to the custom build costs and the blank cost. Likely quite a lot over your hoped for price range. As others have mentioned, if you would consider a contemporary rod by one of the many excellent glass talents working now from the secondary market in good used condition, you could place an add in the WTB section of the classifieds. There should hopefully be some good options for you.

All the best in your quest and tight lines ahead in 2021. Ideally some astute member here can come up with a new American built graphite or glass option for you in the 8 foot or under 6 to 8 weight specification under $350 you are looking for still, as there may be something out there many of us don’t know about.

Post 07 Jan 2021, 10:22 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Have you cast a FENWICK FF80 or ff807? If you really don't like the old hardware you could rebuild with top notch components within your budget. The ff80 comes in two, three and four piece.

Post 07 Jan 2021, 10:47 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I understand the allure of new, but I’d start checking out vintage. In your price range and length/weight desires, I could shuffle my vintage rods and come up with multiple sets of 3-4 rods, exhibiting different lengths, weights, actions, makers, and packability. Makes exploring my tastes and needs easy; only difficulty is too much choice. And if I decided I wanted a modern rods that fishes like Model X say, but in multiple pieces, the great posters here could almost certainly point me in a good direction. Then the $ for a custom domestic rolled and built rod seems a surer thing. And those good vintage rods can probably be sold to a new user at original cost.

Post 07 Jan 2021, 11:39 • #21 
Piscator
might check with Randy Johnson, dba Retroglass Rod Co., former Mound House blank maker, who still reproduces Fisher blanks.

Post 09 Jan 2021, 21:30 • #22 
Sport
I don't see Kerry Burkheimer in this list - http://www.cfbflyrods.com/

Post 10 Jan 2021, 00:13 • #23 
Administrator
While Burkheimer rods are American made, he doesn't offer glass (although his shop has made glass for others). Kerry B. makes a good rod, but not one that is close to selling for $350 or less. Even his rod blanks start at $450.

Tom

Post 11 Jan 2021, 00:57 • #24 
Sport
Ooops. Apologies all as I was using old info and didn't recheck.

Post 11 Jan 2021, 10:27 • #25 
Piscator
no apologies needed - thanks for playing.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply