It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:48

New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Nov 2008, 10:07 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
This G serial number (Long Beach) Fenwick FF75 arrived yesterday and I was really surprised to see where the hook keeper was located - on top and slightly to the right. Has anyone seen this before on a Fenwick or other rods?

For the record, it's really a very sweet casting rod with a DT-5, and I know this is controversial, but even better than the later FF755 - at least for me. I really wish that Fenwick would have kept using this more elegant braid wrap on the later rods. (I was also surprised to see that it was in absolutely mint condition!)

Post 04 Nov 2008, 10:09 • #2 
Administrator
WOW ... that reelseat is gleaming! Duff ... you have quite a wonderful collection.

Post 04 Nov 2008, 11:48 • #3 
Emeritus
Duff, I can't answer your question, but that is one of nicest looking outfits I have seen. I applaud your choice of reel.

Post 04 Nov 2008, 12:00 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
likely made for a lefty.

Post 04 Nov 2008, 13:14 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I like the looks, and the casting , of the old two didget Fenwicks better than the newer ones.
Beautiful rod. No clue on the hook keeper, I would imagine a few snuck out in odd positions though.
Keith

Post 04 Nov 2008, 16:48 • #6 
Master Guide
I have a Gallatin Onyx OXF9026 2 piece from my early graphite days which has the hook keeper on the left side on the rod as held.

Post 04 Nov 2008, 17:56 • #7 
Master Guide
Beauty ...

I've got an Echo graphite 3wt with the hook keeper positioned on the "side" of the blank instead of on the bottom side. I like it 45 degrees off like that actually and something I'm going to incorporate into my next build.

David

Last edited by armyflyfisher on 05 Nov 2008, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Nov 2008, 01:58 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Being left-handed, but not a lefty caster, I agree with Rockthief, that must be for a left-handed caster. Are the windings factory original?

Post 05 Nov 2008, 03:27 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Archfly, I am almost certain it's a factory wrap on the keeper as it matches the other wraps perfectly in color and style.

Post 05 Nov 2008, 10:50 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Wow! Whoever owned that rod must have been someone special to get it custom from the factory!

Post 05 Nov 2008, 10:59 • #11 
Master Guide
I have recently acquired the 4-piece variant, F reg, also a with very clean reelseat. Hook keeper mounted topside. I guessed some perfectionist had fitted a new reelseat and messed up the alignment, so sold it on. A bit odd but I bought it to fish with and it is so sweet with a #5, so no worries.
Mark

Post 17 Nov 2008, 16:50 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
A few days ago I took my beautiful FF75 out to examine it closely, something I'm embarrassed to say I didn't do when I received the rod. It was so perfect I guess I thought it wasn't necessary - wrong. I noticed a small discoloration about an inch down from the tip top and under closer examination - with magnification - I saw to my horror that the mark was a very deep hook penetration which actually made fractures on the opposite side of the tip. It was a wonder the tip didn't just snap off when I lawn casted it. Fiberglass is STRONG! Lesson learned: a mint rod may be mint for a reason - LOOK OVER EVERY INCH OF A NEW ROD. Errant hooks can do evil things to fly rods.

Long story short, it was way past the return period but Bob Selb of "Classic Fly Fisherman" graciously told me to simply return it - no problem. Quite an endorsement I think. The mark was so subtle and in an area of the rod that wasn't viewed when holding the rod to cast so it's no wonder we both missed it. So, sadly I packed it up tonight and will mail it back tomorrow. Dang! It was beautiful!

Post 22 Nov 2008, 15:57 • #13 
Guide
Lovely looking rod. That reel seat is perfect.

Post 22 Nov 2008, 16:04 • #14 
Guide
Duff wrote:
A few days ago I took my beautiful FF75 out to examine it closely, something I'm embarrassed to say I didn't do when I received the rod. It was so perfect I guess I thought it wasn't necessary - wrong. I noticed a small discoloration about an inch down from the tip top and under closer examination - with magnification - I saw to my horror that the mark was a very deep hook penetration which actually made fractures on the opposite side of the tip. It was a wonder the tip didn't just snap off when I lawn casted it. Fiberglass is STRONG! Lesson learned: a mint rod may be mint for a reason - LOOK OVER EVERY INCH OF A NEW ROD. Errant hooks can do evil things to fly rods.

Long story short, it was way past the return period but Bob Selb of "Classic Fly Fisherman" graciously told me to simply return it - no problem. Quite an endorsement I think. The mark was so subtle and in an area of the rod that wasn't viewed when holding the rod to cast so it's no wonder we both missed it. So, sadly I packed it up tonight and will mail it back tomorrow. Dang! It was beautiful!
It is seldom I do a repair without simply doing a replacement section, but sometimes that isn't possible, for obvious reasons. On a rod like that, I would remove the tip top and find a needle that will fit inside the section, put plenty of epoxy up in there and glue it in place. I would then do a nice thread wrap over the whole area, with a thread that will be a very close match for the blank color. I did that with a broken tip, just last week, on a rod I sold to a customer many years ago. There haven't been any sections available for a long time. It is a very nice fix. I know he will be very pleased. I have probably a dozen such repairs out there that I've done over the years and have never had one come back. Often a break is a lot lower down where you can do the repair with a piece of broken tip section. The one I did the other day was pretty small diameter, but I found a piece of blank section that would fit, so I used it and glued a needle inside for additional strength. The thread match was perfect and the only thing you can notice is an inch long swell just below a guide.

Post 22 Nov 2008, 16:44 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I've had similar experiences. I won a SA System 5 that looked perfect in all the pics on Ebay. I put it together as soon as I got it. The ferule was cracked. Seems the seller had wanted to test cast it before sending it my way. He had no experience with spigot ferules and he unwittingly cracked the ferule forcing the parts together. He was good enough to refund my money (including all shipping costs). I wasn't so lucky buying a rod from aflyshop. The tip snapped in half after about 5-6 casts. No refund. The only thing that Bob fella gave me was the run around ...

Last edited by Anonymous on 22 Nov 2008, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Nov 2008, 21:16 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Duff

Sorry to hear about the return.

I have the exact same rod and use a TT5 line. In fact, I fished it today on a local river and landed a couple of 18" browns with it. It is a sweet casting medium-action glass rod that has great reserve power if needed. Wonderful for small BWOs today as well as weighted San Juan Worms. It has great tippet protections (as can be expected) with glass but also has backbone to turn those browns this afternoon. It feels very similar to my Winston (S.F.) 7'6" 5 wt in many ways.

I've never cast the popular FF755, but I can't imagine anything else that could be improved vs. the FF75 for my casting style. Not that it matters at this point, but I'll check my hook keeper location to see if it is similarly located as your (former) rod.

New Topic Add Reply