It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:43

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Jun 2020, 10:54 • #1 
Master Guide
Here's a question for for you - what niche fiberglass rod designs would you like to buy if you could find them? I have three:

Super packable general purpose glass rod - like an 8 foot, 5 weight, 6 piece (!) rod. Hardy used to make them back in the 1970's but they went to graphite in the 1980's and never looked back. I think that REI sold a version (made by Lamiglass?). I check on eBay once in a while but I haven't seen them pop up. I don't think there are any current manufacturers?

Fiberglass Trout Spey. I may be crazy, but I'm thinking that such a rod would be perfect for nymphs or streamers in high Sierra lakes - there are many that have great access, but no backcast room. Echo made such beasts, but discontinued them 2 or 3 years ago.

Glass Tenkara. Places I wish I had a Tenkara rod tend to be really small creeks. Just for fun, I'd love to have, say, and 8' or 9' glass Tenkara rod to go after the trout lurking in these smaller waters. I don't think anyone makes one?

What are your "I wish someone (still) made ... " desires?

Post 27 Jun 2020, 12:57 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
sub-6’ 3pc 3wt progressive dry fly taper with an ultra fine tip.

doesnt exist. so I made one out of solid beech wood, but it’s a 1pc.

10’ single hand 3pc #5-6 slow-progressive wet fly taper. Exists in graphite (but still pretty darn rare...), and have been waiting patiently to find one priced right.

Last edited by corlay on 27 Jun 2020, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Jun 2020, 14:44 • #3 
Guide
Would James Green’s 5wt 10ft glass blank that he offered cover both the trout spey and the wet fly taper needs? Also, anyone have one of these blanks tucked away that they wanna sell haha.

I’m kind of in the opposite that aside from the trout spey, there are so many great rods I’m running out of space and money

Post 27 Jun 2020, 22:09 • #4 
I would love to find an FF77-7 that would be an ultra packable sub 8’ 5 wt that roll casts well and is rare.

I seem to have just about everything else that I could need covered but that doesn’t stop me from looking for more to add.

Post 29 Jun 2020, 12:20 • #5 
Master Guide
Corlay I know of a scott g 1005 for a reasonable price - not mine but I saw one on a fly shop website. PM me for details.

Post 30 Jun 2020, 19:05 • #6 
Guide
There's two-
1st, The Unicorn, a Fenwick FF83 (8 1/2' 4 wt)
2nd, a Ijuin Yomogi 70643 (7 1/2' 4 wt)

Post 01 Jul 2020, 08:36 • #7 
Guide
IIRC the original Hardy Fibalite Smuggler was just a 4-piece 8-footer. I have the forerunner 3-piece JET and its lovely; I would love to find a 4-piece Smuggler.

I am pretty certain that Hardy only went above 4 pieces with the Graphite Smugglers. I got the #6 8’2” as a 21st Birthday present, and its a 7-piece. I think there was a #5 7ft Graphite Smuggler, but I have not seen one for years.

Post 02 Jul 2020, 20:24 • #8 
Guide
For a great pack rod, Eagle Claw. Absolutely love my 7’6” Trailmaster.

Handle can be switched around to accommodate a spin or fly reel. Perfect when you get to a really deep pool or can’t back cast.

Or check with some of the custom builders, Graywolf frequently has pack rods available.

Post 03 Jul 2020, 08:11 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
10’ single hand 3pc #5-6 slow-progressive wet fly taper. Exists in graphite (but still pretty darn rare...), and have been waiting patiently to find one priced right.

The Bruce & Walker "Borders" is 10'6" 5/6. It is very heavy. I picked a couple up - they are pretty inexpensive, the second one just because it had a much nicer grip.

Haven't used it yet because I don't fish waters where I imagine it being particularly useful.

Post 04 Jul 2020, 22:56 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Swedish_Fish218 wrote:
For a great pack rod, Eagle Claw. Absolutely love my 7’6” Trailmaster.

Handle can be switched around to accommodate a spin or fly reel. Perfect when you get to a really deep pool or can’t back cast.

Or check with some of the custom builders, Graywolf frequently has pack rods available.

Pack rods, there just aren’t enough of them.

Post 13 Jul 2020, 22:09 • #11 
Master Guide
Your glass trout spey can be had if you don't mind Chinese made stuff. Angler's Roost sells fiberglass blanks (or did last time I bought one) that one can make a nice switch rod out of. I didn't go glass from them - I built one a few years ago on an IM6 graphite blank - sweet fishing & casting rod.

That GP Lamiglas rod you're talking of IIRC are their honey colored rods - such creatures are still floating around, and I think you can still get these rods or at least the blanks.

Post 20 Jul 2020, 17:42 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Anglers roost is no longer selling blanks due the passing of the owner. At least that is the last word I am aware of on the supplier.

Post 20 Jul 2020, 18:02 • #13 
Master Guide
Well not fiberglass but I’ve been searching for this for five+ years and ain’t found it yet.. Stolen off my porch
Fenwick GFF 905T
Graphite with that bamboo feel

Post 29 Aug 2020, 09:11 • #14 
dustdog12 wrote:
Swedish_Fish218 wrote:
For a great pack rod, Eagle Claw. Absolutely love my 7’6” Trailmaster. ...
Pack rods, there just aren’t enough of them.

I'm going to second there not being enough pack rods. I like a sub 7' rod for navigating and casting under very dense rhododendron in the southern Appalachians.

When fishing streams within very steep-sided areas I like to break down my rod and attach to my back pack so I can better scramble in/out with two free hands. I would like a 5 piece 2-4wt that can throw a dry and not overly heavy dry-dropper rig. I can't tell you how many times I've been knocked back when my rod tube didnt make it under the branch I just ducked under.

The Axisco 6 & 10 piece look very interesting, but I've never seen one in person.

Post 04 Sep 2020, 07:57 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Corley's "little woodie" beech wood rod is something short rod lovers should try. It is impossible to duplicate that taper in bamboo or glass.

Bob

Post 16 Sep 2020, 07:02 • #16 
Sport
Re pack rods...

Cabela's still offers a 6-pc pack rod named "Stowaway 6" in several lengths and line weights. I haven't used one of those but I did have/fish a 5-wt "Stowaway 7" in years past. (They used to sell both a 5-pc and a 7-pc "Stowaway" in various lengths and line weights. I never thought that made much sense and apparently neither did they since they split the difference and started offering only 6-pc "Stowaway" rods.) It cast just fine but I really had to keep checking the ferrules as I used it. As I gained experience both fishing and backpacking, I realized that you can backpack as easily with a 4-pc 9-ft rod as you can with a 7-pc.

I sold mine a few year's back but I'm sure that you could find one on the used rod market if you really wanted one.

Post 17 Sep 2020, 08:20 • #17 
Sport
The problem with “pack rods” in fiberglass, is in order to keep weight down, you have to do spigot or just a tip over butt ferrule system, and no matter what else you do, it’s going to stiffen the blank considerably. Ferrules are essentially a “dead spot” in the blank. A shorter fly rod that breaks down into three pieces, still straps nicely to the side of a pack and doesn’t stick up much at all. I have a Cortland (St. Croix made) pack rod 7’ 5/6 in a 6 pc configuration. It is significantly stiffer than the FR2000 7’ 5/6 model in the 2 pc configuration. Extremely different actions.

Post 18 Sep 2020, 12:45 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
SARC,
I have the Axisco Airrite Stream 7'6" 6 piece 3 weight, and even with all those spigots, I would never describe that rod as stiff.

Larry

Post 18 Sep 2020, 19:39 • #19 
Sport
Right, you’d have to start with a nearly spineless, buggy whip of a blank to produce that.

Post 19 Sep 2020, 08:57 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
But we can find buggy whip glass blanks :) They've been around for years. The problem is that spigot ferrules are labor intensive to correctly fit. And a 5pc rod has 4 times more spigots than a 2pc rod. My guess is there is a lot more warranty return on them too.

Post 19 Sep 2020, 09:03 • #21 
Guide
Canoeman1947 wrote:
SARC,
I have the Axisco Airrite Stream 7'6" 6 piece 3 weight, and even with all those spigots, I would never describe that rod as stiff.

Larry

I have a lamiglas 7' 6" 4wt 10 piece rod with spigots.
I know the same blank is not buggy whip in the two piece configuration, and this is the same blank just ferulled out (by lamiglas).

I have cast the rod with the same reel line and leader right next to my Paddock 7' 6" 4wt rod and would say that it is only "slightly" faster. And I would only say slightly because I was casting it back to back. The Paddock is smoother for sure and my choice when size of the tube doesn't matter, but that lamiglas is better than other 4wts I have cast and holds its own.

New Topic Add Reply