It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:11

New Topic Add Reply
Diamondback glass ino
Post 14 May 2020, 16:51 • #1 
Hello fellas been gone awhile but got my mind on another glass rod I know nothing about and didn't know they made em again. Stopped at one of my local outfitter store and they had Diamondglass Glass series rod 4wt 8'6" 3pc Dark blue blank with pretty good looking real seat for 170 bucks but no tube or sock. I didnt pull the trigger though.

Post 14 May 2020, 18:28 • #2 
Master Guide
Decent casting fly rods. Have only lawn cast a couple models from this series and they felt pretty nice. Do a search and you should find more information from those who are more familiar with these rods.

Post 14 May 2020, 18:38 • #3 
Administrator
Phish wrote:
...they had Diamondglass Glass series rod 4wt 8'6" 3pc Dark blue blank with pretty good looking real seat...

That was the second generation of DGlass. Cortland sourced the blanks overseas and had them built in the US with some nice hardware. Those are about 10 years old. The blue rods weren't as well received as the earlier black glass rods made by Diamondback.

Like any fly rod, test cast it before you buy. If you like it, drive a good bargain. No tube, no bag, not black glass.

Tom

Post 14 May 2020, 18:53 • #4 
Master Guide
Those are the "second generation" Diamondglass rods. Blanks and components were sourced off shore, assembled here in the USA. Not long after this series surfaced, Cortland shut down the Diamondback factory. Very, very few of these "blue" blanks were built out by Diamondback, Cortland had several different people build them out, including Mike McFarland. I was even asked for a price to build out a batch so the Cortland Reps could have samples to show on sales calls, I declined.

If my memory is right, they retailed for just over 300, and you could buy a blank, sock and fabric covered tube for about 150. They are a decent blank, but not like the older Vermont made black ones in my opinion.

Tom, you beat me to it, lol

Post 15 May 2020, 04:46 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
The blanks were also sold to many rod builders after Cortland discontinued them. So, you might find there was a bit of variation in how these blanks were fitted-out.

Post 16 May 2020, 10:01 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Steve Jenkins was also offered the offshore blanks from Cortland,Steve put up some very nice looking rods on the blanks,Steve after all is a Master Rod Maker in his own right ,the qwerty was the offshore rods were not embraced by the public.
The Color was kinda a turn off for starters,The Action and Feel of them was a miss,especially if you compared them to the Vermont Made Black Glass Rods,disappointing at best.
The Black Glass Was The Standard.

When I purchased Steve's left over Fiberglass Blanks,After Steve decided fiberglass wasn't really his thing,the remainder of his C.T.S., P.L.G. and Diamondback Blue Glass.
After a time due to my failing health,I passed on most of the blanks to a rod builder acquaintance it seems with the exception of Steve's CTS Glass that I had already put to good use. ;)

If your lucky enough to get your hands on one of the Blue Diamond Back Rods made by Steve Jenkins you would be in luck.

Quote:
Like any fly rod, test cast it before you buy. If you like it, drive a good bargain. No tube, no bag, not black glass

Not Black Glass being your key bargaining chip.

Tight Lines And Blue Diamond Glass Loops
Andy M

Post 16 May 2020, 21:10 • #7 
Master Guide
So these are both different versions than the Meeker glass rod from diamondback?
https://rodbuilderswarehouse.com/collec ... 8678962311
Those are discounted the the point where it’s tempting, but I’ve resisted thus far. They’re gloss black, but not made in Vermont.
Per their ad:
“ DIAMONDBACK Fiber Glass Blank.
Glass is back! And for good reason. Innovation in glass technology means we can make Meeker rods lighter and slimmer.
The Diamondback Meeker features a mirror gloss black finish.
Classic glass actions.
Simply beautiful.”

Post 16 May 2020, 22:50 • #8 
Master Guide
Nope, the 3rd generation Diamondglass just did not seem to catch on either. That generation of rods and blanks was after Cortland sold the Diamondback brand to a former employee, again they were made off shore, but supposed to be copies of the Vermont tapers.
Tough to bring a brand back and try to recapture the old flame.

Post 17 May 2020, 19:53 • #9 
Master Guide
Coldpass, I Got the 804 Meeker rod for Father’s Day when they came out. Nice rod but, heavier than the original black rod, Eglass vs Sglass. IMO that price is a real bargain for the blank.

Post 24 May 2020, 19:04 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
By all means, cast the rod to see how you like it. I've built two 3-piece rods of the blue series, a 7 1/2' 3wt for my son, and an 8' 4wt for me. We both like the rods. I'd also say that the blank quality was very good. Wall section at the butt was the most consistent around the circumference that I've seen, sections were even and straight, and the finish was superb. I can't comment on the comparison to the earlier black series, but the assessment of the latter's superiority is widely held here so I'd give it a lot of credibility. I'm late to this thread, so if you've already made your decision, please do let us know how you like it on the water. If still thinking about it, then happy hunting!

Post 24 May 2020, 21:00 • #11 
Master Guide
I own both the 8’4 and 8’6” 4 Blue Blanks built by Mike Mcfarland. Quality of the builds is the same quality as any his rod builds. First Class . In my opinion the tapers are the best understatement.

New Topic Add Reply