It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:11

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Roll Casting Rods
Post 02 Dec 2020, 15:29 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Some rods seem to have a faster recovery and to me anyway seem to rollcast better.I guess it has more of a snap to the cast or something.Some of these rods are not particularly fast rods either.Used to have some good discussions with a gent who fished for redears and other sunfish in the bayou country,He used long glass rods overlined by at least 2 weights he kind of sidearm rollcasts to the tree bases,Guy was a great fisherman and fly tyer and posted lots of great pics.On a couple trips to Reelfoot Lake i took his advice about throwing my baits right where the tree meets the water and we caught a ton of fish.Didn't get to flyfish much on those trips but i could see where a low rollcast would be about the only way to cast in the tangle of flooded forests.

Post 02 Dec 2020, 20:12 • #27 
My opinion is that the FF 75 does a nice roll cast within the range limits of a short rod. The rod will throw a decent loop with the right acceleration. If that doesn’t get you under those overhanging limbs just stalk closer and try a bow or side cast. In the mountain streams where the the little rods shine a well planned stealthy approach is more important than casting distance.

Post 02 Dec 2020, 23:31 • #28 
Master Guide
16pmd wrote:
In my experience, the best rollcasting rods have a soft butt relative to a stiffer tip. That's because a rollcast requires you to force a bend into the rod because you don't have the full weight of the line aerialized behind you. You have only about half the line to load the rod, so you need a more forceful stroke to load the rod than with an overhead cast. Stiff-butted light tip, i.e. fast rods, are the least effective rollcasters because it's harder to bring the entire rod into the cast. That's why they require a line size heavier to make the rod bend down on a roll cast. Other things being equal, longer rods make rollcasting easier because you can get more line off the water into the D-loop behind you.

This has been my experience as well but would add fuller flexing rods in general seem to do it more effortlessly..

A good example of a stiff tip, deep flexing roll caster is the 7' Cortland Pro Crest.

Post 03 Dec 2020, 07:26 • #29 
Piscator
You guys have described my 6'9" 3-pc Fisher Sterling, which is the short para rod that's part of a Fisher combo.
It happens to be an excellent roll caster, but short para rods can be a test of anyone's timing and mettle.
Phillipson in every length is still the all-time roll-casting champ, and peerless below 7'

Post 03 Dec 2020, 12:59 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
I don't think the tip has too much role in roll casting, if the mid is stiff or "fast" enough to bend the butt under moderate loading it should work pretty well.
I have a dry fly 'glass rod with a soft tip and utility 'glass rod with a stiff tip that both roll cast decently; "medium fast" graphites that can be up-lined a couple sizes to force a butt bend have also roll cast well enough. For me the best rods seem to be "parenthetical" in that moderate loading results a bend like ( rather than a bend that is progressively steeper through the mid to the tip.
But back to the Fenwick question, mine (8'&8.5') aren't exceptional roll casting tools, although I've read that others like them for that.
And to the dry fly question, it helps if you aerialize the forward cast, aim high, so that the line straightens in the air.

Post 03 Dec 2020, 13:31 • #31 
Master Guide
"I don't think the tip has too much role in roll casting, if the mid is stiff or "fast" enough to bend the butt under moderate loading it should work pretty well."

I suspect your right. The Pro Crest stiffness in the tip I mentioned extends down into the mid.

Would love to try one of those short Phillipsons some day.

Post 03 Dec 2020, 19:01 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
I don't fish many streams,maybe a few times a year.I fish ponds and lakes mostly from shore.My roll casting is either dead ahead at an angle laying down some line in front and roll casting from there.Or throwing line out at a 90 and waterloading to fling it down the bank in the opposite direction.Many places i fish to stay away from the crowds are challenging to fly fish.When i can just cast with an adequate backcast it is quite enjoyable to just cast.I fish to catch fish and nothing is more fun when i pick the right fly that i tied myself and then get it in front of a fish that takes it.

Post 19 Dec 2020, 20:46 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with Dritfless and Aurelio on the Lamiglas Brush Creek honey-blank rods. Actually as an owner of the entire series, I agree with Aurelio that the 6 1/2 ft rod is the best of the bunch for roll casting. It and the 7 ft rod seem to me to roll cast the best because they are a bit faster in action. But, they are all wonderful as Driftless points out.

I thought I saw some of those 3-pc blanks for sale on ebay recently. For the OP, if you build rods or know someone who does, there is a seller with some Lamiglas 3 pc, 6 ft blanks (I didn't even know they made a 6 ft blank) for sale (there are several as Buy It Now so we won't affect any auction by talking about it) for under $35. They call it a 2 wt blank, but on small streams, I'd fish it with a 4 wt line and I bet it will roll cast to beat the band. PM me and I will steer you to the seller.

EDIT: I have ordered a few of those blanks and noticed that they are not advertised as Lamiglas blanks FYI. They are listed as Honey-colored.

But, I have seen Bulldog roll cast heavy flies out of deep water and lay them out straight and I don't think I could do that with any rod, no matter how nice.

Last edited by paveglass on 21 Dec 2020, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post 20 Dec 2020, 09:18 • #34 
Piscator
thanks Donny, you're close - I always use a "roll pick-up" to bring everything to the surface, and that sets up my shoot-distance roll cast.

Post 20 Dec 2020, 12:00 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog...well, that makes me feel better because that is how I have to do it. I did not know that technique when we fished together and I was amazed at how you could do that with seemingly little effort.

If you are heading to the coast sometime and wouldn't mind a hanger-on, let me know. I have a Hobie with foot drive that can probably keep up.

Post 20 Dec 2020, 12:37 • #36 
Piscator
Lou and I were just e-mailing about a Feb trip last night - we'll bike with Steve later this week and kick it around - will keep you posted.

Post 20 Dec 2020, 20:40 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Like!

Post 13 Aug 2021, 15:19 • #38 
Master Guide
Now I am not all that experienced so let’s get that out of the way up front! But … I really like how the 6’6 EC Featherlight roll casts even with a cheap Cabela 5wt WF on it and a size 12 bass popper. I can even get it to work better for me in the wind than I can with another casting technique although I have never tried or heard of “Belgian” casting which sounds interesting …

Post 02 Oct 2021, 19:20 • #39 
Irrelevant from the Fenwick as my experience is based on the Steffen 8' in 3/4 and 4/5 but I tend to prefer a longer rod for smaller streams then most. I've found myself using more and more spey techniques over the years that allows me to utilize very little backcast space. Snaps, double, single with a haul etc. The future of roll casting is single hand spey!

Post 02 Oct 2021, 22:58 • #40 
Guide
I was out this evening with my Orvis SFG 763, it’s a roll casting champ!

Post 03 Oct 2021, 18:29 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
Ganderzone wrote:
Irrelevant from the Fenwick as my experience is based on the Steffen 8' in 3/4 and 4/5 but I tend to prefer a longer rod for smaller streams then most. I've found myself using more and more spey techniques over the years that allows me to utilize very little backcast space. Snaps, double, single with a haul etc. The future of roll casting is single hand spey!

Steffens are amazing rods for this. I do the same, and use their 8'6" 7/8 swinging for steelhead on small rivers.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply