It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:10

New Topic Add Reply
7wt S-glass rods
Post 08 May 2020, 11:42 • #1 
Guide
I'm interested in building an 8'6" to 8'9" 7wt large trout streamer rod for drift boat and lake use. In particular I'm interested to know if anyone has experience with 8'6" or 8'9" 7wt rods by CTS and perhaps ********* Western Glass and similar S-glass rods.
Thanks in advance
Ron

Re: 7wt S-glass rods
Post 08 May 2020, 13:58 • #2 
Guide
I own Dusty’s Western Glass 8’9” 7wt, and it is fantastic with streamers, mice pattern, and poppers. I have even fished dries with this rod on super windy days. It’s so versatile, much like a 16 gauge shotgun.

Mike

Post 08 May 2020, 14:17 • #3 
Master Guide
Hello, can’t go wrong with either company you listed. I would take a look at McFarland products. I recently assembled a GTX 586/ 4 and it’s a fantastic rod. The blank is a combination of E and S glass. The Blue Halo 8’6” 7 wt. also gets glowing reviews. It’s an E glass blank but their suppose to be releasing a line of S glass rods/ blanks in the near future.

Post 08 May 2020, 16:58 • #4 
Guide
Mike, how would you describe the action of the 8'9" 7wt? Is it more of a tip action rod?

I will keep an eye out for the Blue halo s-glass. I assume those will be Zentron like their Zenglass heavyweight rod series.

Post 08 May 2020, 18:20 • #5 
Guide
To me the 7wt Western Glass has a medium fast action. Maybe on the faster side of that medium fast action. Definitely not a tip action rod. It a very capable rod that I fish with an SA MPX line that is 1/2 line weight heaver, and it casts it without a hiccup. I also have a 7wt sinktip that I fish on it when throwing crawdad patterns or bait fish patterns. It has a progressive action with a very strong butt section for hard charging fish. It really opened my eyes to 7wt glass fly rods.

Post 08 May 2020, 18:35 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Agree with magicmikes assessment.... and it’s butt is strong ( do a search and you’ll find a photo of an 8 pound stingray I caught with that rod in the salt)!

Post 08 May 2020, 19:58 • #7 
Guide
Thanks Mike and backing1 this was very useful information that will help me immensely.

Post 08 May 2020, 20:06 • #8 
Master Guide
I have an 8'6" 8 wt from CTS built by wjude. It's a very smooth rod that cast nicely with a true to weight WF8 line. He feels it's almost like a heavy 7 and I believe he's fished that taper with a 7.5 line.

Post 08 May 2020, 23:25 • #9 
Guide
Allegheny, now that makes me wonder if the 7wt is a true 7wt. Regardless from my understanding the CTS sound like smooth casting rods.

Post 23 Aug 2020, 12:38 • #10 
Guide
Hi all - I'm somewhat new to glass fly fishing, though my first rod was my dad's Berkley Spartan SP40 that I still have and use occasionally. I'm thinking about getting a 7wt glass rod. Primarily for streamers, but also because I have an extra rio grand 6wt lying around. I heard you want to fish true to weight line on glass, so would it make sense to fish a rio grand 6wt on a 7wt rod?

Post 24 Aug 2020, 20:27 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, the Grand is a full line weight heavy. So a 6 is a 7.

Post 24 Aug 2020, 22:51 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
No, no, no John. The line company labels it as a 6wt so we should ignore the fine print, right? Geez, why the heck do we have AFTMA standards when nobody follows them any more? Who ever thought flyfishermen would have to buy analytical balances to see what actually works on our fly rods. I absolutely abhor what rod companies and line companies are doing to misguide the ignorant. What a crock.

Post 25 Aug 2020, 01:13 • #13 
Administrator
JShenk_615 wrote:
I heard you want to fish true to weight line on glass, so would it make sense to fish a rio grand 6wt on a 7wt rod?

JShenk_615, Welcome to the Forum!

To answer your question, sorta. What you want to do is find the line that works best for you. Test cast different line weights under your normal fishing conditions. If the rod feels stiff, like it is hardly bending, you need a heavier line. If the rod feels sluggish, as if someone is grabbing the line behind you, then you need a lighter line. When the rod feels like it is flexing deeply, but is still responsive, then you have the correct line - for you.

Crusty, you don't need an analytical balance - any cheap digital pan balance that can read in grains will do fine. :)

Tom

Post 27 Aug 2020, 07:34 • #14 
Guide
thanks for the feedback everyone. In addition to dialing in the right grain weight of the line, I also am curious about the taper. The rio grand has a lot of weight pushed to the front, and a short front taper. Is that a good taper for glass or do you want a longer front taper with more weight distributed to the middle and back? Or, like weight, is the taper just a matter of personal preference?

Thanks again

Post 27 Aug 2020, 15:08 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
+1 on what Crusty said!

Post 30 Aug 2020, 01:40 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
JShenk_615 wrote:
thanks for the feedback everyone. In addition to dialing in the right grain weight of the line, I also am curious about the taper. The rio grand has a lot of weight pushed to the front, and a short front taper. Is that a good taper for glass or do you want a longer front taper with more weight distributed to the middle and back? Or, like weight, is the taper just a matter of personal preference?

Thanks again

I think it’s probably personal preference, but I don’t enjoy lines with a big weight bump at the front - they turn over way too hard and fast. Short front taper is one thing, but that bump at the front I don’t like!

Post 30 Aug 2020, 11:40 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
There isn't a "good line for glass". Line weight should match, but even the correct line weight is personal preference. Line taper is also personal preference. If you like fishing glass because it is traditional, more relaxed and smoother, then you will probably like a simple, traditional fly line. Either WF or DT, but with no weird tapers. I would buy a collection of lines. 7, 8 and 9wt line in a WF. (or maybe 7,8,9) Something like a Scientific Anglers Aircel that is good quality but inexpensive. . If you have cheap reels that you can put each line on for test casting, that would make trying out lines easy. Then settle on one and put it on your good reel.

The aggressive weight forward lines trade off presentation (delicate presentation and mending capability) for quick loading and the ability to turn over large flies. This may be what you want if you are primarily fishing large streamers, but you may get the same ability by just over lining your rod by one weight. Until you start trying different line weights on a rod, you won't really understand.

Post 30 Aug 2020, 13:29 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
jhuskey wrote:
Yes, the Grand is a full line weight heavy. So a 6 is a 7.

CB, guess I should have used a few cute Smilies with my post - :( :rolleyes >: :\

Post 30 Aug 2020, 17:33 • #19 
Guide
Thanks... I guess that fundamentally is my question, wondering if there is a "good line for glass." I was able to find some old cortland line on ebay in for cheap to compare.

Post 01 Sep 2020, 07:54 • #20 
Piscator
Hook & Hackle sells their house brand lines, which are Cortland Peach but with their own-spec coating.

New Topic Add Reply