It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:16

New Topic Add Reply
Wonderod tapers
Post 29 Oct 2008, 06:12 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I just picked up couple Wonderods in the longer lengths and with Kwik tapers and was surprised how much better suited they are for my style casting then the standard taper Wonderods. I have one 9' and one 8' and these things are cannons.

These have the bright white blanks and appear to have more guides for any length then the standard Wonderods.

Does anyone know if these are some of the later Wonderods or just mixed in with others and offered as a different model?

Thanks --Barry

Wonderod tapers
Post 29 Oct 2008, 12:10 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Hey Barry. How many guides do your Kwik Taper rods have? I have an 8' Kwik Taper Woodgrain Wonderod, Model FY-608. It certainly is a BOOMstick. My rod only has 7 guides, total, including the tiptop and stripper guide. It is such a good casting rod that I've been toying with the idea of stripping the guides and wraps off and putting on 10 guides total. I think it is more of a 9 weight than the listed 8 weight. Maybe that would change with extra guides but I doubt it. It could be one of the best boat rods for largemouth bass fishing or northern pike fishing you could possibly ask for. I've thought about buying a few more so that I can have a number of rods in the boat with different flies on them. What I would really like to do with this rod is use it for fishing from a boat and casting underhanded to the underside of docks with big bugs.

I cast the specialty SAGE Largemouth graphite rod last week and thought in the back of my mind that the 8' Shakespeare I had at home was every bit as good for the intended purpose. This range of rods seems to be getting popular. I also cast some of the new Redington Predators which are 7'10" 4pc graphite rods. For $199, I'd buy one of those before I'd shell out twice that for one of the SAGE's. But the Shakespeare's are cheaper yet. The only thing that could possibly make the Shakespeare better is if someone could turn it into a 4pc. so I could have one in a convenient travel configuration like the SAGE's and Redingtons. For normal boat rods, though, I'd leave them as 2pc.

CrustyBugger

Last edited by CrustyBugger on 29 Oct 2008, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.

Wonderod tapers
Post 29 Oct 2008, 14:35 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I really like the quick tapers and have several. For me, the fewer guides I can get away with the better, if a rod casts great with 7 guides I leave it as it. Would be interesting to hear just what "Quicktaper" is. I always thougth "Quicktaper" was like "fast" but methinks the Quicktaper Wonderods are actually softer rods than the standard tapers, with the rod blank tapering faster, not a faster action.
Anyway,
Keith

Wonderod tapers
Post 29 Oct 2008, 15:22 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Well there are a few casting idiosyncrasies with the 7 guide Kwiktaper. It launches the line well when I'm trying to cast a long line, but there are some hitches in the action at shorter distances. I think it needs more guides.

CrustyBugger

Wonderod tapers
Post 31 Oct 2008, 09:06 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Crusty--I have the rods packed away right now and will have to check when I get to them again. The one thing I did notice was that the 8' Kwik taper had more guides then the 8 1/2' Standard taper. The only thing I'm not sure which model the standard taper was, so I would guess they may differ in number for differrent models.

Don't think I would fool with number of guides unless it really needed a rewrap and just wanted to try it. I was amazed by how well this eight footer cast.

Barry

Wonderod tapers
Post 09 Nov 2008, 11:46 • #6 
Master Guide
When or 'were' all the Wonderods blanks white? I've got a couple of spin fly rods. One says; Wonder Rod and the other says Wonder Glass and their both white. What's the differences?

Ray ...

Wonderod tapers
Post 09 Nov 2008, 16:40 • #7 
Master Guide
I have an 8'6" two piece Wonderglass fly rod that is green.

Wonderod tapers
Post 13 Nov 2008, 07:29 • #8 
Sport
I have a 9 ft Wonderod that has a black blank with metallic gold wraps.

New Topic Add Reply