It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:13

New Topic Add Reply
Tycoon stream King
Post 08 Mar 2020, 20:21 • #1 
Picked up a tycoon stream King 7'3" 3wt from a guy from Pa on the web.The rod casts and feels great, much faster than my prairie drifter lamiglass. Was wondering if anybody had any info on the rod and what blank was used. Could not find much info on it. Thanks

Re: Tycoon stream King
Post 09 Mar 2020, 06:52 • #2 
Master Guide
Tycoon Tackle was a fairly brief (5-6 years?) resurrection of the once famous brand originally based in Florida.

Tim O’Brien brought the company back to life and also authored a history of the original company.

https://www.amazon.com/Tycoon-Tackle-St ... 301&sr=8-5

The revived company was based in Virginia, first in Charlottesville and then in Waynesboro.

I believe the new Tycoon fiberglass fly rods were rolled by Mike McFarland, who I think also had a hand in their design.

They offered the Stream King series in a white glass and also The Mountain King, a 6’9” 4wt 3-pc rod which I own and fish.

https://www.angling-international.com/t ... g-fly-rod/

The Mountain King is reportedly based on the Paul Young midge taper.

I think that Matt Reilly, once an employee of Tycoon, acquired the company and used that for the basis of founding Reilly Rod Crafters.

He offers “The Mountain Midge” fiberglass fly rod, also a 6’9” 4wt 3pc.

https://reillyrods.com/product/mountain ... m-fly-rod/

I talked with Matt at the Virginia Fly Fishing Festival in 2019 and he said the Mountain Midge is slightly different than the Mountain King. Only 8 Mountain Kings were built, he said, and he owns 2 of them.

Hope you find this long-winded response relevant. You might reach out to Mike McFarland or Matt Reilly via their web sites and ask about the Stream King.

South River Fly Shop in Waynesboro, Va., carried the Tycoon rods and you might contact them for more info as well.

Post 09 Mar 2020, 07:13 • #3 
Thanks yeti, sounds like not to many were made. The rod is crafted quite well and I enjoy the feel and action.

Post 11 Apr 2020, 17:12 • #4 
Guide
There was a post on here from the owner/designer of Tycoon who indicated, yes McFarland rolled, but to Tycoon's proprietary taper specifications
Glad to hear you are enjoying the rod and like the action as very little information on how they fish is to be found.

New Topic Add Reply