It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:16

New Topic Add Reply
Great Bay Rod Co
Post 24 Oct 2008, 05:35 • #1 
Anyone familiar with Great Bay Rod Co. out of New Hampshire? Just learned about them and they offer a line of glass rods. Curious as to what impressions may be or if there's any secondhand word on them. I think they are fairly new, so maybe it's too soon to tell.

Mike

Great Bay Rod Co
Post 24 Oct 2008, 06:18 • #2 
Emeritus
Check out this link https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6811

Great Bay Rod Co
Post 24 Oct 2008, 06:18 • #3 
Administrator
This company took many of us by surprise when Twigmaster posted a link about them to our board. I've since spoken with David Gibson, the owner of the company. While Dave was familiar with our Wiki website, he didn't know about the discussion forum. I'll be setting up a Wiki page for them this weekend with some information Dave sent me via e-mail.

Great Bay is making a series of 6'6" and 7'0", four piece, fiberglass rods. They range from 2 weight to 5 weights. This is a market segment not really covered by factory rods, except with imports from Japan or rolling your own from a Lami blanks. The rods have just hit the market. Dave said they were working with their beta rods this past summer and now they have the production rods ready to go. The blanks are made in the US to Great Bay's specification, but Dave was not able to divulge the supplier. The completed rods are built in New Hampshire. The rods are built with spigot ferrules, dark green blanks, and REC hardware. Great Bay started about 4 years ago with a series of short, four piece, light line graphite rods. Dave indicated the fiberglass (and the short graphite) rods were designed with small stream fishing in mind. He also indicated he's not one to go with the market trends, but instead wishes to built a rod he would like to fish. The complete rods will retail for $279 each. In addition, the rod blanks are available for $125 and $135 each.

We may have lost Diamondglass and T&T from the ranks of glass makers this year. But we've added some new makers, like Great Bay. It's still a good time to be a Glass Fanatic!

Tom

Great Bay Rod Co
Post 24 Oct 2008, 11:43 • #4 
Master Guide
jgestar wrote:
This company took many of us by surprise when Twigmaster posted a link about them to our board. I've since spoken with David Gibson, the owner of the company. While Dave was familiar with our Wiki website, he didn't know about the discussion forum. I'll be setting up a Wiki page for them this weekend with some information Dave sent me via e-mail.

Great Bay is making a series of 6'6" and 7'0", four piece, fiberglass rods. They range from 2 weight to 5 weights. This is a market segment not really covered by factory rods, except with imports from Japan or rolling your own from a Lami blanks. The rods have just hit the market. Dave said they were working with their beta rods this past summer and now they have the production rods ready to go. The blanks are made in the US to Great Bay's specification, but Dave was not able to divulge the supplier. The completed rods are built in New Hampshire. The rods are built with spigot ferrules, dark green blanks, and REC hardware. Great Bay started about 4 years ago with a series of short, four piece, light line graphite rods. Dave indicated the fiberglass (and the short graphite) rods were designed with small stream fishing in mind. He also indicated he's not one to go with the market trends, but instead wishes to built a rod he would like to fish. The complete rods will retail for $279 each. In addition, the rod blanks are available for $125 and $135 each.

We may have lost Diamondglass and T&T from the ranks of glass makers this year. But we've added some new makers, like Great Bay. It's still a good time to be a Glass Fanatic!

I've been anticipating Great Bay rod Co. fiberglass rods ever since Dave Gibson mentioned the prototype fiberglass fly rod in this FFR thread in July 2008. Nice to see more glass fly rods especially from a fellow New Englander. I couldn't help but notice that spinzo (MA) and twigmaster (NH) were also from New England. Welcome, hope you two stick around and enjoy the pleasures of glass.

Twigmaster must be a fairly common name in New Hampshire ... Dave G. has it inscribed on the prototype glass fly rod he photographed in the thread.Image

Mark

Great Bay Rod Co
Post 24 Oct 2008, 11:52 • #5 
Master Guide
Thanks to Dave Gibson, I had the good fortune to test the 2wt, and "abused" it by catching schoolies this summerImage
The little 2wt held its own against 16-18 inchers schoolies. This is a beta rod so the color is different.

Last edited by kimosabe131 on 24 Oct 2008, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

Great Bay Rod Co
Post 25 Oct 2008, 10:09 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Kimo,
Great looking rig and fish. I was wondering if you could describe the actions of your rod.

Great Bay Rod Co
Post 25 Oct 2008, 10:59 • #7 
Master Guide
Scud, it was not my rod, it was a test rod from Dave Gibson.
Dave had some specific questions that he wanted my opinion as a lay person.

Not being a professional rod tester, I am really not sure how to describe the action, I used a 3wt WF line instead of a 2wt (I didn't have one) could cast 30 feet with no problem.

It was not whippyImage, I would characterize it as a medium fast glass. It sure had good strength ... I had hooked several schoolies was able to hold on without breaking the rod!

It would be a fun rod with panfish, SM/largeM bass.

Last edited by kimosabe131 on 25 Oct 2008, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

Great Bay Rod Co
Post 27 Oct 2008, 15:53 • #8 

New England born and raised. Not a regular on this board, but been kicking around for a few years and loving glass for a while, too. Too many destinations and distractions online, and most of my discussion activity is over at The Bass Pond, but I'm the proud owner of glass rods by Phillipson, Fenwick, Wright & McGill, and a custom-wrapped Steffen.

Great Bay just hit my radar, though, and figured this was the place to ask.

Mike

Great Bay Rod Co
Post 04 Nov 2008, 08:21 • #9 
Guys,
One of my clients said he had posted some stuff on your forum so I figure I'd introduce myself, I've had a few conversations with Tom and Cameron over the past several weeks and figured I'd post an intro.
Great site!
I've been intrigued with fiberglass ever since my dad taught me on his old fiberglass rod and since we have a habit of going against the grain when it comes to fly rod design and models it was natural for us to introduce our fiberglass series.
The initial 2 series will be followed in 2009 with a 7.5 foot and 8 foot series with line weights from 3-8 weight (if the testing goes as planned) We've been in the business for 4 years and everybody at the shop has a passion for rod building and creating unique designs.
we do a lot with youth, and are currently working on a fly rod building class for some of the local YMCA's and cub scouts.
Feel free to contact me with any questions.
look forward to posting and contributing to the fiberglass community!

Dave Gibson
***email address removed***
603-836-0267 ext. 0421

Great Bay Rod Co
Post 04 Nov 2008, 09:12 • #10 
Emeritus
Welcome Dave and thanks for dropping by. We look forward to hearing more good things about Great Bay Rod Company. As you can see, we have some hardcore glass fans here.

Great Bay Rod Co
Post 04 Nov 2008, 10:10 • #11 
Administrator
Greatbayrods ... AND GreatBay ... welcome to Fiberglass Flyrodders! I guess you have two accounts to post with around here.

Great Bay Rod Co
Post 04 Nov 2008, 12:02 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Greatbay, Welcome
Beautifull rod there. Where about in Cow Hampshire are you located? I cross C.H. several time a year on my way to VT and would love to see your shop.
Cheers
RFMcD

New Topic Add Reply