It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:07

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Jan 2020, 16:02 • #1 
Sport
I’ looking for a glass spey or microskagit rod blank with a grain window of about 250-275 to build it up for a customer...

Thus i‘m not into spey at all (yet) i have no idea which manufacturer should be taken into consideration.

i know that CTS has some Quartz models, but here ends my knowledge.

Any recommendations are welcome!

thank you!

Post 24 Jan 2020, 22:49 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Hi StripStrike - I’ve been through this particular dance very recently. Unfortunately I believe CTS is be your only option, and for that grain window it might be a one off, custom blank, so the price will be pretty steep. If you want I can PM you the contact info of the person I was talking to there. They were great to deal with, but the price was prohibitive (I was asking for a 10’3” blank with a grain window of 175-275). I ended up finding a 3wt Echo for their now-discontinued glass switch series for about 1/3 of the CTS blank price and I’m going to rebuild the handle.

Post 26 Jan 2020, 10:39 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
As mentioned not a lot of options out there and I think Brockton has done his homework. I would add that if not restricted to glass that you might consider Bob Meiser. Bob has a loyal following for a reason myself included.

Post 26 Jan 2020, 14:46 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
In general, light/long glass is hard to do. When getting to the 400 gn and over.

There are some nice slower graphite options. If you want to get into the 9' or 9'6" range, you could build out a glass 6, 7 or 8wt 1 hander with a butt extension. (maybe even a 6wt). I think there are a lot of glass rods that would single hand cast that range, but I can't think of any two handers.

The Glass spey rods I've cast have all been 12' or under, and while rated 6/7wt, have all been 460gn and up and better at Skagit that Scandi casting. My educated guess is that the early glass two handers were mis-rated because they were built and designed by traditional rod designers and not spey rods builders.

If someone really wants a 2 handed trout spey (2/3/4wt), I think the graphite rods that are out there are better options. Some of them have a nice deep loading action that is reminiscent of glass, but in the longer length.

Post 26 Jan 2020, 16:28 • #5 
Guide
jeffsod wrote:
As mentioned not a lot of options out there and I think Brockton has done his homework. I would add that if not restricted to glass that you might consider Bob Meiser. Bob has a loyal following for a reason myself included.

+1 on Meiser, the innovator of switch.

New Topic Add Reply