It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:36

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Feb 2020, 20:27 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
There’s yellow and then there’s really yellow - sunny yellow that is.

Post 22 Feb 2020, 09:37 • #27 
Guide
Any rod color, if it's shiny can give rod flash and spook trout, a matte finish appears to be more important than color when stealth is necessary. Here's one excellent resource for insight into what trout see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-csJ_k6xaU I've watched this several times all the way through and highly recommend it, this man has done some valuable research.

Post 22 Feb 2020, 12:20 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
because yellow is seeeeeeeeeeeeeexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. :lol

Post 22 Feb 2020, 14:23 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Nice vid. The bottom line is that the eye of virtually any organism can only maintain distinct, sharp focus for a brief period of time needed to execute eye-"hand" coordination (2 to 4 seconds in humans, and less is optimum). Motion--or the appearance of it from turbulence, shadow, flash and so on is the trigger of a fear response or a feeding response. Unusual motion or flash or color is what gets noticed in the midst of a range of motion/flash/shadow that is comfortable and routine to the fish. And most of these unusual visual intrusions soon become routine and unobtrusive to the fish.

One of the best examples--I'll use landlocked salmon because they adapt very quickly--is that fish will spook and move in response to the wake of a watercraft or wading angler. Keep wading or keep moving the boat or letting it skew in the current and you keep spooking and moving the fish. They are moving in response to the current changes, but the motions of the boat/angler causing them are the associated visual intrusion. Wait a while from a fixed position, either standing still or anchoring the craft so it hangs dead strait in the current with a consistent wake, minimizing motion in the craft so as not to rock and shimmy the wake. It won't be long before the fish start feeding on the wake edge, just as they would on the "V" below a boulder. Don't cast yet. Wait a while longer and they will come inside the V. Longer wait, some will be in the back eddy below the boat, just as in the pocket below a boulder. Now start fishing, inside out. And if it's not obvious, these fish full well could see the boat, the anchor rope, and so on. It is right in front of them but has become part of the norm.

Same for various bankside/shallow wading strategies. Wait first, just like a heron does. Then don't "flap your wings"/cast half way across the run any more than a heron will fly over there. The fish he wants is under his "nose" and probably decided to look like a rock when the bird flew or stepped in. Soon the bird looks like any other stump. The bird will only move or stalk (cast) farther after he catches the first fish.

Minimize the startling movements by approach, position, and pause, and you can catch fish under your rod tip--no matter its color. The fish can see you or your rod or line or your feet on the stream bottom, and so on. They only the notice the fly because it is new in an otherwise dynamic--but stable--visual environment. And it looks like food.

Post 22 Feb 2020, 15:01 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
I have bait fished in deep water in Lake Michigan which is pretty clear water.Boats leaving the harbor were 50 yards out or so and passing ocver the structure we were fishing.We caught a fish nearly every time a boat passed over.I fish a quarry and the only access is the south shore.Rocky cut rock shore with patches of weeds and broken limestone.You have to climb down some 10 feet and cast from the broken rock.There are many schools of large bass that cruise this shoreline.You must fish before the sun comes over the trees or at dusk.The shadow a flyline makes on the bottom looks like a rope even on a cloudy day.The water is very clear and the irregular bottom of light colored rock casts shadows that spook these already wary fish.You cannot float tube or use any watercraft in this mile long quarry.I have caught fish on gear but not many on flies.I have tried everything,light conditions time of day,angle of presentation etc.I doubt rod color makes a difference.I will figure out one of years.

Post 22 Feb 2020, 15:06 • #31 
Guide
the hersh - I'm with you on this.

Post 16 Sep 2020, 22:35 • #32 
Sport
There’s just something classy about a yellow glass rod. It wouldn’t look right to me in graphite-but it just feels right in glass. Eagle Claw cornered the market there for a while.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply