It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:52

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Jan 2020, 13:19 • #1 
Guide
Could it be it’s just a standard colour for pre preg used in some other application?
Michael

Post 10 Jan 2020, 08:27 • #2 
Piscator
no, it's either pigment added to the resin, or (pigmented) paint over the clear-resin blank.
http://www.webexhibits.org/pigments/intro/yellows.html
One reason to add pigment to the resin is to improve its UV resistance (and of course, also the reason for painting the blank).
I had a copper-painted SB glass rod that with the reel seat removed, the resin and prepreg composite in the exposed blank was water-clear.

Post 10 Jan 2020, 11:01 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Originally it probably aped blonde cane.

Post 10 Jan 2020, 17:33 • #4 
Guide
They are good looking blanks . A rod doesn't have to be an ugly brown to be a great rod .

Post 10 Jan 2020, 20:34 • #5 
Guide
I admit at first I liked the yellow blanks, I have a really nice rod from a great rod maker that is a yellow blank, the color does not make the rod cast better, or do anything else better or worse. I wish that some other color options were available from my favorite rod maker. Maybe it helps to the cost down going with the same color options as the person who rolls most fiberglass blanks here in the US. Personally I like ugly brown or black, or maybe even ugly green!
Mike.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 12:01 • #6 
Guide
Some like it , some don’t. I just figured it may be tied to some other application where it may be used in huge quantities. Aerospace or perhaps power stations?
Just wondering.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 12:30 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
As Buldog1935 stated it is done on purpose, just to get that color, either by paint or pigmenting the resin. Actually either way it is an added cost., although painting is often used in some color. One reason could be brand recognition as with Eagle Claw, they have a very recognizable shade of yellow, another is; historically Fenwick made all their blanks yellow so as to differentiate them from production rods, St Croix might have done that too. And today there are rainbow colors available just because any color will appeal to someone. Sales count.
Fiberglass cloth I've used has always been white and the common resins I've used have been almost clear.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 13:59 • #8 
Piscator
From J&J, when ActionRod (Bronson and later absorbed into TrueTemper with Montague) began painting their rods in 1959, yellow, green, and ebony, they did a study on who will buy what colors.
The results:
24% would buy yellow at $3.95
30% would buy green at $6.95
46% would buy ebony at $7.95
24% would buy forest green at $9.95
27% would buy peacock blue at $11.95
49% would buy maroon at $14.95

and btw, beneath this copper-colored Harnell BronzGlas paint, the resin is pigmented black, just like every other Harnell.
Kinda wish you could see this first-hand with fresh wax - makes it look like beryllium-copper.

Post 12 Feb 2020, 10:55 • #9 
Sport
I honestly think it's just a really nice color for a rod.

Post 14 Feb 2020, 16:12 • #10 
Guide
Agreed, I really like yellow rods. There aren't many rod colours I really don't like though, blue is least favourite at least for a freshwater rod.

Post 14 Feb 2020, 18:27 • #11 
Master Guide
I once commented on this forum that I liked a particular rod someone had made but that I thought its bright color may spook wary fish. LoL - boy did I get punished with replies !

But as much as I like my short (white) Wonderods, I use other rods in water holding fish I know to be particularly wary. I have no proof if my concern is warranted but I do feel more self confident with a rod that compliments my camo.

Post 15 Feb 2020, 05:07 • #12 
Guide
I just bought a book called 'fly fishing outside the box'. The author says he takes off the gloss finish on any rod he buys regardless of the colour so that it is matte, because of the sun flash that travels along the rod during the cast, towards the fish you're aiming at.

Post 15 Feb 2020, 08:33 • #13 
Guide
Yellow is a happy color and a great fly rod that cast and fishes well that is yellow like my Barclay 79 GP makes me even happier.

Post 15 Feb 2020, 09:40 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, just a trend in what the angler likes, as in the use of color in many flies designed to catch the angler. If the color produces confidence and concentration on fishing, it's a good color. A rod color is "bad" if it is distracting (drawing the eye when in motion) to the angler, rather than looking at the spot where the fly is placed and its position during the drift or retrieve. Or if it invites admiring the rod rather than watching the water.

The rod--like the barrel and bead of a shotgun--should be a minimal visual presence but nothing more to the angler, whose eye and hand guide the rod, and thereby the line and fly. If the appearance is obtrusive or flashy, the process is disrupted, just as in wingshooting.

The appearance of the rod means nothing to the fish, who won't notice it anyhow if the angler "points" it well.

I love my 8 1/2' yellow Fenwick and am able to ignore its color when fishing, but if I could change its color as easily as replacing a fluorescent shotgun bead with a plain one, it would be brown. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=52089&hilit=Importance+of+Color+on+Rod+Blanks

Post 15 Feb 2020, 13:37 • #15 
Guide
Interesting topic. So after reading the responses, of course I have to add my two cents. First let me start by saying bulldog is right. It's just pigments added to give rods their color. So a rod company can change the colors of their rods at will. It's no big deal to them. But it is to their sales. If a color sells a rod, you can bet your bippy they all will change their colors. I personally hate yellow as a rod color. Now with that said, I use to own two, both Wright McGill. The older one was an off yellow and the newer one a bright yellow. One day I took off from work and headed to Pa to fish a few limestoners. I started on the Letort and since I really liked my newer 7' WM I rigged it. Now for those that know me, they know I don't like to drop names, but I guess I'm going to here because it's necessary . I started fishing below Fox's meadow. Fishing up stream so I was heading in the direction of Charlie's house. Man what a bad start to. I was spooking ever fish I cast to. So as I got behind Charlie's house, he saw me and walked down to the stream. He knew all the left handed fishermen that fished there, all 3 of use. Once he got there we sat on the bench and pasted some pleasantries. He asked how Wayne and Paul were doing, but we soon got to fishing. He said how did you do down below? I told him the fish were really spooky today. He then looked at the rod and said, do you think it could be the neon sign your casting. The fish will see it before the line gets to the water. You know they use the water surface as a lens and the cone angle of their vision changes at that point. So after talking for a little while longer, we said good by and I headed back to my truck and quickly changed rods. I then fish the same stretch again. Only this time with better result. After that I never fish a bright colored rod on any limestoner again. For those that are interested in the vision of a fish, Read Vincent Marinaro's book In The Ring of the Rise. Now back to the color as to why so many yellow rods.. Unfortunately, it's money. The bass tournament group has a lot to do with it. Don't take my word for it but just watch what they use and watch how fast every body and their brother and sister will buy what they are using and unfortunately fly rod makers are following their lead. Those guys are using some of gauldest rods out their.

Post 16 Feb 2020, 07:38 • #16 
Guide
Public Service Announcement

This is going to be very tough on me but I will take in from any folks gaudy yellow fly rods made by Barclay, Paddock, Scott, McFarland, Lamiglas, Phillipson and Fenwick.

Post 16 Feb 2020, 08:41 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
It gets too tough for ya, Miller, I'll take up the excess, and those unwanted St. Croix and W&M things too. In the interest of Public safety, I'll even make pick-ups within my five county area.

To the topic- I fish a lot in the dark and light colored rods, yellow and white, have much less chance of getting stepped on or left behind.

As to scaring the fish that has more to so with approach direction and lighting at the time, if your shadow falls in front of you on the water, get on the other side of the creek. (or come back a couple hours later when the sun has moved) Those fish with the cone vision see unusual moving shapes, they can't distinguish a Fenwick from Eagle Claw with the refraction involved.

Post 16 Feb 2020, 09:48 • #18 
Guide
Let's see and I mean see. It has been proven a long time ago, that fish can and do see color. They have the same rods and cones in their eyes as we humans , so they see color, maybe better then us. Their was a book written,( which are really great things to read) about it after some one said that fish can't see color. So a eye doctor took up the challenge and did an extensive study. So a bright yellow rod waving a round against a dark back round, stand out like a sore thumb. Now as for fishing the Letort, which you haven't done. Because if you had and tried to fish the lower end of Fox's meadow, you would know, you can only fish it from the left hand bank going up stream. The right hand bank isn't fishable. And their is the fact back then you couldn't wade it. plus after driving over 100 miles you just don't leave and come back when the sun is right. And I started fishing at 8 years old and am now 73 and I'm not an expert because I'm stilling learning. ;)

Post 16 Feb 2020, 10:07 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
youbetcha, when the sky is plumb black the light rods do stand out, I neglected that possibility

Post 16 Feb 2020, 10:46 • #20 
Glass Fanatic

Kind of liked it.

Post 16 Feb 2020, 13:18 • #21 
Guide
Oh that is blinding almost looking straight into the sun, I better wear some dark shades when all the yellow fly rods are sent to me.

Post 16 Feb 2020, 15:44 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Just use them when the skies are pale, since sky is always the background from the water point of view. I wonder that no one has hit on a sky-camo pattern for fishing rods; pastel blue with swirls of grey in varying shades. Hard to do with resin color but could be sprayed on.
I took on disposal of a yellow Wonderod yesterday, first one of those I have encountered.

Post 16 Feb 2020, 18:18 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Go, Duff. He ain't gonna fall for all this shade on yellow fly rods. Viewed from above, or the side, they can be kind of flashy to the human eye, which is why the Fenwick is at my personal visual limit. Viewed from underneath and through water, with little direct light on them, they aren't especially flashy, especially compared to other motions of the angler, sounds of wading or walking the bank, or the fly line landing. They cast a shadow as well as any rod. Viewed from underneath, they blend into the sky better than a dark rod. According to how used, they can spook a fish or help fool one.

Post 16 Feb 2020, 18:21 • #24 
Guide
I have seen some vintage Conolons that were painted almost a sky blue.

Can’t go much more camo than a clear blank with white silk, tan or gunmetal wraps with no color preserver and less shiny hardware.

I have a black Lamiglas blank fly rod built by Fred Paddock I guarantee it is more visible to fish than a orangish yellow blank in the daytime so I have decided to now only to use it when sun is down or during nasty thunderstorms.

All in good fun.

Post 17 Feb 2020, 11:11 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
I'm not a big believer that fish can see or care what color a rod is. But in this game, if you THINK a camo rod is going to help, it probably will.

I like light, colorful rods, white, yellow, especially when fishing tight or dark places, my old eyes can track the rod better. Same with lines, I want a line I can see

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply