It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:05

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Oct 2008, 07:15 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I have pretty much been on self implemented rod buying freeze lately and had hoped to get to casting some of the fine rods I already have that haven't seen the usage they deserve.

The season is fast coming near the end and there are still a couple rods I had wanted to get some time on the water fishing. The other night I had a craving to cast the 7ft 6in Phillipson Eponite I picked up back in April. I really need to get it properly photographed and posted in the rod photos section.

I have happily had a 7ft Orvis Full Flex as my daily driver riding along in the car at the ready all season long. Not wanting this beautiful Eponite to be subjected to the harsh heat and bouncing around in the back seat it has sat waiting safely at home. Richard and others have extolled the unique crisp action of the Eponites many times before. I just have to post my thoughts, at the risk of driving up demand further, on how much I love this rod.

I was fortunate to get one that had seen little in the way of use and was well stored. The Eponite rod is IMHO elegant to behold and has such a fine crisp action it inspires me to seek out some dry fly action. Its ability to shoot line and delicatly place the fly on the surface has me enamored. I wish I had thought to bring it along for some beetle fish in September. The guides are rather small on this rod but I happen to pick up one of the discounted WF6wt Airflo Ridgelines and that line zings thru those guides with ease.

I have to say there is a dramatic difference in the actions between the Orvis full flex and the Phillipson Eponite. Almost like night and day. Both have their own special qualities and certainly both deserve a permanent place in the quiver.

Post 17 Oct 2008, 07:26 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Some photos from the original listing-

Post 23 Oct 2008, 06:24 • #3 
Guide

We also sometimes take for granted these "no rock" reel seats. I've seen them described somewhere as "cheap looking" but I've found they fit onto just about every reel I've tried, never work loose, yet always will let go when you want to take the reel off. And I don't see any corrosion in the salt. I really like some of the offbeat color combinations (especially the Red Green). So much of what's been on the market since the eighties favors expensive looks over functionality and longevity. Bill Phillipson really knew what he was doing.
This one looks downright classy in the tones that accentuate the natural colors of the blank.
These rods are exceptional for all time - no wonder we all want them.

-Vinnie in Juneau

Post 24 Oct 2008, 16:50 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
JeffSod The Eponites are absolutely addictive, I've never fished a glass rod quite like them, simple as that. They are the top of the list for me. Only thing they are missing is a glass spigot ferrule to be perfect IMHO. Hopefully I will put one together this winter with a glass spigot just to see if it could be better.
At 7ft 6in and a DT6wt its pure pleasure and a real go to rod for just about anything you want to tackle with it. The rod is so progressive in nature I think you could easily handle Salmon, Steelhead and big Strippers on it and not be afraid you had asked to much.
I have one of the first Orvis Far and Fine 7ft 5wts in Graphite that I keep around and I know what you mean about the differences. Pickup a late tip over butt Epoxite or even the last of them the spigot ferrules Expoxites and they just feel a bit slower and softer, less progressive and less crisp. Same holds true for the whole line of Scotchply models from the Johnson Profiles right up to the last of them. Those early Eponites are just different and very special I guess.
Like I said addictive. Now you will have to find a nice 7 or 8wt for Bass and Saltwater or perhaps a nice little shorty 6 1/2ft 5wt for those close water situations.
Richard

New Topic Add Reply