It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:24

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Re: another which rod...
Post 11 Dec 2019, 14:10 • #51 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
Out of your list, the Heddon Pal Pro Weight 8381 would nail our OP's bill.
If you found one for less than $100, it was a steal.

$52+ tax + $14.99 shipping.

Original tube, missing cap. But pleasant surprise after feeling on the bottom of the tube, it did have the rod sock.

I just got this on the water twice now.
This rod is sweet, no effort involved at all... roll cast, traditional cast, very capable.
Biggest surprise to me was the ability to handle larger fish.

Post 11 Dec 2019, 14:32 • #52 
Glass Fanatic
Nice one!

Post 11 Dec 2019, 14:45 • #53 
Piscator
chunkette

Post 11 Dec 2019, 17:06 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
I snagged a 8381 last spring and have yet to cast it.Wanted one for a long time but the 7' wonderods and phillipsons had reels on so i grabbed them off the rack when i had time to fish.I just got a 8350,can find no info on it.Tube cap says mark 2 6'6 5wt cont. flex.yellowish heddon blank.Black reel seat and ferrule.Black and PINK wraps.And once again,i feel any light or midweight glass blank will "handle" almost any fresh water fish.Punching thru the wind casting distance and how big are the flies you want to throw.I do enjoy casting in the yard,between bushes,i actually like days with gusty winds etc.But i am practicing to fish.Nice loops etc are great as it teaches discipline and muscle memory.When i get to the water i want to fish,get the bug in front of the fish or a position to swim it by the fish.I dont want to figure out the cast.The cast should be like releasing an arrow.All the mental calculations SHOULD be automatic

Post 15 Dec 2019, 10:03 • #55 
Glass Fanatic
Ron
That was a fun day- I remember that was the trip you introduced Jeff and I to the cats whisker fly, a favorite of those Guads. You placed the six foot phillipson in my hands and said "try this one". The rod paired with teeny t130 performed so well, I remember thinking I need one of these.

You definitely showed us a good time.

Les

Post 15 Dec 2019, 12:36 • #56 
Piscator
Just as good was our start on the upper Pedernales at Friedrich Rd. Xing (maybe a different day?) - I think a landowner has fenced that off now, but there's access at White Oak. (a different friend)

This is Jeff at Friedrich and the FF605 I loaned

I think this is Ewell coming back from upsteam at White Oak - looks like his hat

Friedrich sunfish.............................................................................Friedrich bass
Image Image
The rod is a Norm Thompson/ Lee Wulff (Farlow) Armourcane, which were the same impregnated blanks used in Leonard Duracane.

Post 15 Dec 2019, 13:36 • #57 
Master Guide
Try the 8381 with a 6 instead of a 5 and you might like it even better.
I have 3 samples now (yellow and brown, not great shape) and they cast a 6 just as well or better (my opinion).

Post 16 Dec 2019, 18:45 • #58 
Glass Fanatic
Will do Mike,i usually give all rods a couple good lawn sessions before i fish them.Ihave 2 7' wonderods a panfish special from the early 60s and a purist from later.They look like the same blanks just different hardware and wraps but they do not cast the same .The purist likes a 6wt.The other a dt5 or any 6.I have a bunch of heddons and they all seem to like to be over lined.I am not the smoothest caster but have gotten much better as long as i remember i have a flyrod in my hand and slow it down.

Post 19 Dec 2019, 20:45 • #59 
Guide
slowpoke wrote:
It was very nice meeting Carlz and ZeppoVA. The morning was cold. I was trying hard to concentrate on the knowledge both gents were dumping on me while trying to keep warm.

The FF79 was such a nice mellow rod and it is amazing to see Carl zing that thing with tight loops too. I am very grateful for the opportunity to cast rods you all provided for me. Of the rods listed, I think the only one that I did not really gel with is the phillpson. Both the ff806 and the ********* 7wt just sort of cast them selves for me if that make any sense... but honest, I can live with any one of those... especially the *********; that thing is just... nice!

As for the casting thing, Carl was extremely generous and lend me his really nice rod (sorry, I still don't know what it is) and again, that thing sort of just cast it self; that coupled with beginners luck... It was indeed a really good morning. I am already working on negotiating with the family to get out again.

I felt my ears burning and found this thread.

Really nice meeting you slowpoke, and sorry I helped confuse you. Casting all those rods is just fun. I saw the attraction to all of the rods we tried and began to see differences. Which ever you end up with will be fun. I love the idea of going out to fish with them. Perhaps when it warms up... CarlZ ?

And A REALLY BIG SHOUT OUT to — CarlZ !!
He graciously helps at the monthly “casting church” and shares his knowledge in a very practical way that well, helps others improve their casting. Mine has improved tremendously in the last few months due to his help. AND on top of that - he brings all these awesome vintage rods discussed in this forum that I would never have had time to find let alone cast.... can't wait to see what he will bring next month :)

Post 20 Dec 2019, 13:10 • #60 
Master Guide
fishhuntmike wrote:
Try the 8381 with a 6 instead of a 5 and you might like it even better.
I have 3 samples now (yellow and brown, not great shape) and they cast a 6 just as well or better (my opinion).

I had the 7 1/2' 8381 for a while and fished it a bit. It definitely needed a #6 line to do its magic, especially rollcasting.
I got mine brand new for under $60 and it was a gorgeous rod, but I have little need for a six weight under eight feet long and sold it. The new owner promptly pulled one of the stuck ferrules off the rod- the "sizematic" ferrules were crazy snug!

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply