It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:58

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: another which rod...
Post 04 Dec 2019, 21:58 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Only thing i can disagree with is i find the Cabela's prime 1 piece 3wt one of the most fun to fish rods i own.Got one of the biggest bass of the summer throwing foam bugs for sunfish .Nice short fat 5lber or so.Drew a small crowd at a public lake as that rod doubled over.Your not gonna get more than 40' out of it.I did not like it at first ,really slow full flexing little rod.There are 5wt vintage rods out there too.Most recent is a heddon mark 6.5 5wt.Can find no info on this rod.6.5 and 7' wonderods are 5 or 6 wts.Herters and ST Croix made some nice little rods too but if you didn't care for the Prime you might not like those.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 04:33 • #27 
Guide
slowpoke wrote:
Other than the Orvis store, I don't have a fly shop near me.

I don't know wear you are in NVA, but District Angling is in Arlington.

Also, I concur with the prevailing opinion here that a 5/6 weight is my preferred choice for panfish/small bass, and most of the fish that I catch of that description are < 1 lb. They're still fun.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 08:15 • #28 
Piscator
even in cane, it's tough to beat a 7'2" Driggs River (5-wt) for this work.

You're not going to find any of these great rods in a fly shop or package store - your grandfather might have.
Newer is not always better, but our entire lives, marketing has programmed us to believe that.
(it's the only way they can sell durable goods to people who already have them)
There's not a Bill Phillipson out there any more designing glass rod tapers.
Now that you've found this resource, in addition to reading, if you really want to take advantage of it, when something on your want list is offered for sale by experienced community members, buy it.

This thread is one of our great success stories: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65357

Post 05 Dec 2019, 17:56 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
I just saw you were in NVA (northern Virginia?) Do I know you ?

I am probably going to be at Fletcher's Boathouse (C&O canal near Chain Bridge) Sunday morning teaching Fly Casting. I could bring a few different rods for you to try.

Most of the rod's that I have listed are 2pc rods and if you need a 4pc rod, that changes the equation a bit.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 19:43 • #30 
Master Guide
I just read through the thread, if you are really set on new rods, the diamondback meeker would be a bargain if half price. A nice rod but priced too high for an offshore product. I got the 804 as a Father’s Day gift and it is a nice rod. As a glass guy on a budget I mostly fish vintage rods my favorites are the Cortland FR-2000 series. Soft, slow and bend way down to the butt on smaller fish. And they will work very well underlined, a 5/6 marked rod is a good 4 and a great 5 wgt rod.

Post 06 Dec 2019, 08:49 • #31 
Piscator
let's see, $80 to spend, have a 6-wt line in hand - buy the Johnson Profile 4F76 Phillipson carlz is offering - no brainer.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 06 Dec 2019, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Dec 2019, 09:23 • #32 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
let's see, $80 to spend, have a 6-wt line in hand - buy the Johnson Profile 4F76 Phillipson carlz is offering - no brainer.
This is the first Scotchply Phillipson, a formula that didn't change much over the rest of Bill Phillipson's career.

Actually isn't the 400 series Johnson Profiles the Eponite blank ones? I thought it was Scotchply for the 600 and 800 series only?

Either way, an Eponite at $80 is a good deal. I have an X76dfs (eponite), X76 (eponite), and a 7'6" LL Bean 4 piece spin fly (scotchply). I prefer the Eponites, but it might be the spinfly grip isn't quite right. I generally fish my 7'6" Phillipsons with a 5wt line and have no issues. Regarding the fight and the feel, like others have said, fiberglass is much more precise in transmitting feel.

Bob

Post 06 Dec 2019, 09:42 • #33 
Piscator
You may be correct about the difference in grades - what I was referencing from J&J is that Phillipson began using Scotchply in 1960.
If you can, spring for carlz's MF76 - it will be worth more than the $130 he's asking, and you can't get a rod of this quality spending the money elsewhere.
(The Eponite thing is kind of tricky, because Eponite is the process used for all subsequent Phillipson rods, including Epoxite - Scotchply denotes a linear glass reinforcement, and epoxite denotes a new resin, c. 1973).

The DFS must be a joy.
What I like about the Scotchply rods is the fast mid progressive taper and the roll-casting it gives, but the DFS must be very similar.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 06 Dec 2019, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Dec 2019, 09:43 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Bob, how much difference is there between the X76DFS and X76?

Post 06 Dec 2019, 12:34 • #35 
I have re read this thread 3 times now. That whole choose line based on fly size is starting to sink in. The past couple days has been super windy that plus life has prevented me from taking the advice and just cast flies I would use to see how my EC would perform. I will need to do just that.

I am west by leesburg. I don't get around much. I will try to see if I can get away to take carlz's offer. carlz, I will PM you privately.

thanks all for all wealth of info!

Post 07 Dec 2019, 09:46 • #36 
Guide
Trev wrote:
Bob, how much difference is there between the X76DFS and X76?

I've only spent limited time trying to compare them. I've spent a lot more time on the water with the X76DFS, it was the first Phillipson I got and it took a while for the addiction to fully set in.

X76DFS has double wind snakes vs single wind on the X76. The tip sections look to be very similar but the butt sections are different. The DFS blank is larger diameter by the grip but looks to taper to the same diameter at the ferrule. The DFS butt section is stiffer. Which makes sense. As I recall the X76 felt softer than the X76DFS. I'll have to take some time to do a proper side by side one of these days.

Bob

Post 07 Dec 2019, 10:01 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Bob, I have an X76DFS that has single snakes, very small snakes actually. I wanted the X76, but this came up first and right now I can't afford another or I'd have Carlz send me his. Need to try them all, need a bigger car to haul them all.
The DFS is different than any of my other rods and I'm still working out which line I like with it and what it's capable of.

Post 07 Dec 2019, 11:28 • #38 
Guide
My X76DFS seems to like a WF5 line best for me.

I've been fishing mostly my 6'6"-7' rods because I can hang them along the ceiling of my minivan fully rigged up and leave them ready for action. Maybe this year I'll force myself to take a different rod out every time. Or maybe I just need a caddy :lol

Bob

Post 07 Dec 2019, 12:01 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
the hersh wrote:
Only thing i can disagree with is i find the Cabela's prime 1 piece 3wt one of the most fun to fish rods i own.Got one of the biggest bass of the summer throwing foam bugs for sunfish .

The Prime seems to be one of those rods that is just didn't make it. Maybe people were put off by the slow action or the 1pc nature. I cast one when they first came out, and my memory was it was a very nice, slow rod. A bit short for my liking, but a great rod. However I know the 1piece construction just wouldn't work for me.

Post 07 Dec 2019, 12:43 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
I have casting and spinning rods that are over 7 that are one piece.I had a cabelas gift card and saw racks of Cgr and the primes on close out.I got the 3wt prime 6' and the 5'6 cgr out the door for less than 50.I regret not buying 2 more of the 3wt primes.The prime took some getting used to.It is so slow you can't believe the line stays airborne.You can cast it just using light hauls but will get out to 40 feet.They were kind of pricey when they came our.160 or so.At 20 I could not pass it up.

Post 07 Dec 2019, 12:52 • #41 
Piscator
I have one of the 7' Lee Wulff Conolon blanks Andy found in a crate, finished and sold while they lasted. He finished mine one-piece, dubbed and marked it "Cats Whisker" - it's a next-level rod, and one of the reasons I let Cabelas first CGR 705 get away from me.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 07 Dec 2019, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Dec 2019, 13:27 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
Another one that I didn't see mentioned that might fit would be the Berkley Parametric. I use my 7'6" 6/7 for everything from small stream trout (still bends nicely on small fish) all of the way to pond bass and small stream winter steelhead (it's got plenty of backbone should you encounter something larger). I usually fish it with a 6, but if I'm throwing big bugs, I'll throw a 7 or 8wt line on it and it'll handle those just fine.

Post 07 Dec 2019, 14:25 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
Browning -Silaflex too.Always wanted a Wulff G/C BD

Post 08 Dec 2019, 12:43 • #44 
Piscator
clarkman23 wrote:
Another one that I didn't see mentioned that might fit would be the Berkley Parametric. ...
If we wanted to take the need-my-firesuit controversy tack, could start a why buy a Fenwick thread.
Of course Fisher (including Fisher-built blanks for, Scott, Winston, SA) and Phillipson would be at the top of the list, with Para/metric close behind, St. Croix, Silaflex.
The 6'3" Para/metric is the original pocket rocket, so much like Paul H Young's shorter mid-line-weight cane rods. One of the few rods I've bought twice, but ended up selling my last one to Aurelio - a hardware + big fish rod, and anyone who fished mine giggled at its casting power, here, sight-fishing 5-lb bass in pods at 60' (ok, and big thumbs)
Image Image
The reason I brought this rod to the confluence of the Frio and Sabinal, is that I'm about to take it up the narrow Sabinal, where cypress overhangs more than half of the river width, with the south Texas scrub at your back. The only possible cast to sight-fish more 5-lb bass is underhand-change-direction, and this is the rod to do it.

Post 08 Dec 2019, 15:22 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
I met up with Slowpoke and we had a good time.
I thoroughly confused him with Phillpson GMF76, , FR2000 (ll bean version), and some Fenwick FL96-6 (FF806) and FF79.

ZeppoVA had is his ********* 7wt out which opened his eyes and in our informal casting competition, (about 10 people) Slowpoke took honors by outdoing all of us in accuracy. Watching him cast, I'm sure he's a deadly fisherman.

It was a really good morning.

Post 08 Dec 2019, 16:55 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
Great. Nice range of rods, and wow, fantastic that somebody had a 'glass 7 weight of current manufacture. It used to be you could take a "vintage" 'glass 7 or 8 weight and leave it along a stream or at a boat ramp, and odds are it would still be there a week later. Plus if anybody did steal it, you could buy another on the way home at a junk shop or garage sale for $5, less if you went late in the day when they were tossing stuff to go to the dump. So I always note when somebody has the smarts to try/use a good seven weight, not to mention manufacture a good one today. Well done.

Now I'm hoping for further reports from Slowpoke and others who were there.

Post 08 Dec 2019, 22:56 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
I like that report Carlz even if there ain't a like button. + what whrlpool wrote.

Post 09 Dec 2019, 08:57 • #48 
Piscator
I'm glad you confused slowpoke's light-line decision, but one way to turn it into resolve, don't take them casting,

Image take them fishing. Image
Kelly was baptizing his new Old Yankee Rodsmith 6' 6-wt Wulff Conolon 1-pc, and this was his first day fishing a short mid-weight rod.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=872&p=10024#p10024
My daughters fished one just like this, and I finally sold it to a good friend at a TU chapter swap meet, for his grandson's first rod - the grandson was casting 40' on his first try in the parking lot, with grandad's tutelage.
A few years before, I took this rod along with a gang of short Phillipsons to a kid-oriented GRTU meeting for casting instruction (10-y-o Tyler Befus was the guest speaker). All the kids took to them instantly - you can't get good casting feedback on light-line rods, but mid-line-weight rods talk to you. These are rods you can fish in the dark.

The one thing you Can't evaluate in a rod on dry land is its roll-casting ability - Must take the rod to the water for that. (Can't see the thick trees and scrub behind Kelly in my photos above.) That Phillpson GMF76 would shine at roll-casting, and probably out-shine the other rods on carlz's list.
When Kelly bought his first glass rod for the Texas hill country, it was the MF76.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 21 Dec 2019, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

Post 10 Dec 2019, 19:50 • #49 
It was very nice meeting Carlz and ZeppoVA. The morning was cold. I was trying hard to concentrate on the knowledge both gents were dumping on me while trying to keep warm.

The FF79 was such a nice mellow rod and it is amazing to see Carl zing that thing with tight loops too. I am very grateful for the opportunity to cast rods you all provided for me. Of the rods listed, I think the only one that I did not really gel with is the phillpson. Both the ff806 and the ********* 7wt just sort of cast them selves for me if that make any sense... but honest, I can live with any one of those... especially the *********; that thing is just... nice!

As for the casting thing, Carl was extremely generous and lend me his really nice rod (sorry, I still don't know what it is) and again, that thing sort of just cast it self; that coupled with beginners luck... It was indeed a really good morning. I am already working on negotiating with the family to get out again.

Post 11 Dec 2019, 08:36 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
"Just sort of cast themselves." Fantastic. Makes perfect sense. That is the whole idea. Great to hear and well worth it to lots of us who have done as much "work" typing "relax and let the rod do the work" as we have casting our favorite 6 and 7 weights.

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply