It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:24

New Topic Add Reply
OPST Commando Smooth
Post 01 Nov 2019, 18:06 • #1 
Master Guide
I am just wondering if any of you folks are using this set up on your glass rods?

What length rod, rated line weight of rod and corresponding Commando Head being used?

Target fish and type of water?

I watched a couple of the videos on these lines and they look like a neat set up for certain conditions, especially where no back cast room is afforded, but I also wonder if they afford any increased casting distance over a traditional double haul with a standard single hand set up?

Any info appreciated.

Re: OPST Commando Smooth
Post 01 Nov 2019, 19:22 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I’ve been using the head versions for several years, and honestly use them more than anything else at this point. I don’t have the Smooth, but that’s only because I’ve already spent the $$ on the heads. They are so much fun, and I think glass is really well suited to sustained anchor casting. The also overhead much better than other Spey heads.

One thing to note is that the choice of tip really is an important factor - i can use the same 200gr head on a Steffen 4/5 and on an epic 686, but with the Steffen I use the 7.5ft OPST tips (which are I think 60gr) and on the Epic I use the 96gr MOW tips. In fact I think you could use the 200gr on any 5 or 6wt if you tweak it by changing tips.

My two favourite single hand combos:
EPic 686+200gr Commando+light MOw tips
Steffen 7/8 + 250gr commando + light now tips.

But there’s lots of room for personal taste - I know the above Steffen will easily handle a 300gr commando as well, but again I’d probably lean toward a lighter tip. The Steffen is AMAZING with these heads.

I also use the 250 on the James Green 5wt black glass switch, the 350 on a McFarland 8wt glass switch and the old model Epic Dh11, and the 450 on the Echo 13ft 8wt glass Spey.

It’s a pretty addictive way to fish and personally I can just get lost in the fun of casting this way!

Post 01 Nov 2019, 19:24 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Oh and the word on the street is that the Smooth casts just as well as the head version, just maybe not as far as if you were using a mono runner. People love them for stripping flies though.

Post 01 Nov 2019, 20:50 • #4 
Master Guide
Brockton
Thanks for the info, I kinda thought the same, the same line could work on more than one rod, and just adjust the tips to get the desired weight right, the 200 grain working well on both 5 and 6wts.
While I have a few Steffans, I was going to build out a 9ft 5wt glass blank that I have (McFarland) to use this system on. My 895-4 ********* would also work well I imagine.

Post 01 Nov 2019, 21:17 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah that McFarland should be pretty special for this stuff - I’ve had my eye on that blank as well...

Post 01 Nov 2019, 22:06 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
My experience is similar to brockton's, although I don't use them nearly as much as he does. On my Steffen 7/8, I like the 300gr with 8' of T8 (the same that I've played around with on my Seele 8'8" 8wt--that rod can handle it with 8' of T14 though), so it really will boil down to personal preference. I've never gotten around to getting the smooth as I like the versatility of being able to change heads (I have a home built intermediate skagit head that I change to as well as the standard OPST floating head. For me, I couldn't find one I like with my Steffen 5/6, but the 175gr comes the closest...weird.

Bottom line though, they are loads of fun to fish. If I'm not fishing muskies, I've usually got a rod rigged with either the OPST or my home built thing (I cut back a longer intermediate skagit head and welded my own loops onto it...works VERY well).

Cheers!

Post 01 Nov 2019, 22:20 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I've started playing with them, but as brockton points out, the tip is key. I have played with a Rio 175gn head on 3-5wt rods. It's not delicate, but it isn't bad for what it is. It certainly is more delicate than a 460gn Skagit line.

Just a warning, getting into this can get expensive fast as you will want to try different heads and tips. I suggest starting with separate heads, until you get the hang of it. As you get better, you will find your preference in lines changes, but when learning, heavier is better.

Post 12 Dec 2019, 14:49 • #8 
Master Guide
I'm using the 175gr on an Echo 8'6" #4 and on Kabuto 7'9" 3/4 I just built.... works well for me on both of those.

New Topic Add Reply