It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:40

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Oct 2008, 13:57 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Scott's new website is live. The rumored (in part by me) 8'0" 5-wt did not materialize. Too bad: http://www.scottflyrod.com/rods2/f

Post 10 Oct 2008, 14:30 • #2 
Guide
Boy I sure would like that 7' 3wt. That is one fine rod.

Post 11 Oct 2008, 00:39 • #3 
Administrator
flynbird ... this little three weight?

It is a sweet little three weight ... but surprisingly quicker and more capable than I expected. I am looking forward to fishing it this fall.

Post 11 Oct 2008, 03:40 • #4 
Guide

@#$%^&*! It is time you gave back that rod you BORROWED. Image Just kindn. That is a sweet rod. I can think of a couple dozen pieces of water that rod would excell on.
Later
Thom

Post 11 Oct 2008, 10:24 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I like the actions of the Scott F series rods as well but am not fond of the style of cork winding check they are using lately. I grip the rod with my index finger pointing to the target and the sharp edge of the current F-series winding check is uncomfortable. I guess that's another reason why I settled on an older brown glass F-series with a cigar-style grip.

Post 11 Oct 2008, 22:24 • #6 
Glass Fanatic

Yeah I like the grip on the original F rods too. I know Scott was having a hard time keeping up with demand for the 3 and 4 wt. models so I really expected to see an 805 this year. I suppose a 5 wt. would compete too directly with the G2. At $595 I believe I'd have passed anyway. I'm glad I bought my 764 when it was "only" $425.

Post 11 Oct 2008, 23:31 • #7 
Administrator
You know ... I don't mind the cork winding check at all. I think the "F" and "G2" series are about the best looking fly rods that Scott makes anymore.

Post 13 Oct 2008, 01:56 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I have the F764 too. I found a reel with a slender foot is perfect (I'm using an Islander IR2). The fit AND balance is great and it's a terrific casting rod. The cork grip; I wish it were a ring or two longer. The goofy looking composite cork check? Well, that's trademark Scott! A classic Scott with out that check would be like a classic Fenwick without the butt braid, an old school Powell without the cool looking reel seat or a T&T without the backwards stripping guide.
It's a shame there'll be no 8'0" #5. I think if they made one that was along the lines of their 764, it would be a hit, and possibly the best seller in the line-up. Maybe they're waiting to see what the economy will do. Could you blame them?

Last edited by Anonymous on 13 Oct 2008, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 Oct 2008, 02:12 • #9 
Administrator
scud dog ... well said. I like the cork check as well ...

Post 13 Oct 2008, 03:19 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
The cork check is a classic Scott trademark and I do love the series. I had a 703 with the old style tapered grip though and I loved it. Like the Doc, I grip the rod with my index finger extended and the tapered grip felt like it gave me more control.I love my Scott anyway and the grip type is not a big deal.

Last edited by frogmorton on 13 Oct 2008, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 Oct 2008, 12:34 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
IMO it wouldn't be a classic Scott without that composition cork winding check. Even when Scott stopped using it for a few year, it is my understanding that the Japanese buyers insisted on it and rods going to Japan continued to have the cork check. Larry Kenney had a post a while back commenting on the fact that the new epoxy on the cork check made it stick up a little more, almost a little hump up from the grip. Apparently the older formula made a smoother transition and less build up.

Post 13 Oct 2008, 13:33 • #12 
Master Guide
... I love Scott glass ... perfect for midges and PA spring creeks ... Bob

Post 15 Oct 2008, 12:31 • #13 
Guide
docbluedevil wrote:
I like the actions of the Scott F series rods as well but am not fond of the style of cork winding check they are using lately. I grip the rod with my index finger pointing to the target and the sharp edge of the current F-series winding check is uncomfortable. I guess that's another reason why I settled on an older brown glass F-series with a cigar-style grip.

you can't deny it is an icon with Scott. To move away from that composition ring is almost like totally losing your identity. I think they have no choice but to keep it. I bought a Scott factory rod way back in 1979 from a dealer in West Yellowstone on a whim. I later sold it and rather wish I had kept it. I've never been of a collector bent, so letting stuff go has always come easily for me. When I look back at some of the stuff I've had over the years and the current values of some of it, I realize I should have had better sense.

Post 15 Oct 2008, 14:04 • #14 
Guide
Yes, the current Japan Special grip seems to have a sharper edge to tle composite check than the older, more rounded one.

No new glass from Scott this year, too bad. But maybe they might have something new for teh Japanese market, which they will not sell directly to the US, and we can have them re-imported to the US if something looks good ... !

I wish they would add a classic or two each year in glass to that classic category - would think they could sell a few hundred and be worth their while - rather than adding yet another mid-level graphite rod that is hard for me to generate ANY interest in ...

Post 15 Oct 2008, 15:14 • #15 
Master Guide
I was hoping for an 805 model this year and everything I had heard indicated there was a strong possibility of one. Oh well, just brings me that much closer to ordering my first McFarland.

Post 16 Oct 2008, 06:59 • #16 
Guide
Straying a little off topic, but has anyone cast or fished the current Scott Japan Special, a G2 8' 3wt? Comments? I can not understand why the Japan Specials are not available in the US, even on a special order basis.

Last edited by kinzua on 16 Oct 2008, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.

New Topic Add Reply