It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 06:18

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
New TFO Glass rod
Post 09 Oct 2008, 10:23 • #26 
Administrator
Gentlemen ... this thread is a perfect example how each person will evaluate and perceive a certain rod blank. I've heard on this board and other places as many people that don't care for as I have those that think that it is a great fly rod blank. Sometimes you just have to put it in your hand to know what you think.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 09 Oct 2008, 11:28 • #27 
Master Guide
Cameron
I totally agree with you.
IMO, what one feels right to them in a rod is about as subjective/personal as it can get. I would no sooner try to pick out a rod for someone as I would try to pick out the Woman he should marry.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 09 Oct 2008, 11:30 • #28 
Administrator
Barry ... HA ... tru dat! HA ...

New TFO Glass rod
Post 09 Oct 2008, 14:11 • #29 
Emeritus
This turned out to be a good thread.
It's funny how some guys hate certain rods and some guys love them
To me, the finest casting fly rod of all time is the Fenwick FF806 which many here like, but probably no one likes as much as me.
One of my least favorite rods is the entire line of Gowdy Parametrics. I think I am the only one that I know of that feels this way.
Eveybody likes something different.
Some guys like skinny women, give me the fat ones.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 09 Oct 2008, 23:45 • #30 
Piscator
7' Phillipson and I'll arm-wrestle you over it.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 10 Oct 2008, 02:19 • #31 
Administrator
ribs1 wrote:
Some guys like skinny women, give me the fat ones.
ribs1 ... you didn't have to call them "fat". HA ...

New TFO Glass rod
Post 10 Oct 2008, 05:08 • #32 
Sport
I appreciate everyone's opinions on this board. I was really surprised by number of replies to this thread. I believe now after reading through all the comments that the action of the TFO is not what I am looking for. I have a FF705 that I enjoy fishing for panfish, smallies and on small trout streams. I was hoping the TFO would be similiar, but I guess not. I have plenty of fast rods in graphite and they serve their purpose also. I will still cast the TFO but a custom lami honey 7.5 4wt will probably be a better choice for me. Thanks again.

Jon, They have the rod in at LRO if you want to cast it. I may be up there next week.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 11 Oct 2008, 05:20 • #33 
Glass Fanatic

Well, I'm hoping to try one sometime and I'm glad to see a "modern" rod maker producing one at a reasonable price point and with a warranty. As one who has several well-loved venerable rods in that length and line-weight category, I dunno if I'll buy one. Feel will matter.

Now if was a three or four piece in that length, I'd probably have ordered one by now.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 11 Oct 2008, 08:16 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
I just wish the TFO was a 7'9" rod rather than a 6'8" rod; it would be a lot more versatile-p-

New TFO Glass rod
Post 11 Oct 2008, 09:11 • #35 
Master Guide
There originally was plans for a 7'6" or 7'9" as well. It took Rick a while to decide where to put this rod into their line up. Perhaps we'll see another length some day if they sell lots of the 6'9".

as for how fast the rod is, remember that "Lefty" approves all of the tapers, and he likes exceptionally fast rods.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 11 Oct 2008, 09:34 • #36 
Master Guide
pearow wrote:
I just wish the TFO was a 7'9" rod rather than a 6'8" rod; it would be a lot more versatile-p-

Gene
I've got a couple of projects that I've got to get finished first, but when they're complete, I'm going to do a little tinkering with one of the TFO blanks. I figure that I can stretch one out to 7'-6" without a lot of trouble. I'm interested to see how that blank will preform at that length. If it ends up a keeper, I'll get it over to Rick to see what he thinks.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 12 Oct 2008, 05:12 • #37 
Master Guide
I think we all need to write an email to TFO and encourge them to expand on their glass rod line. I really like their products, and fish one of their 9 foot, 8 wt. rods a lot in saltwater. It's affordable, casts very well, and has stood up to some battles with some incredible fish here in Sarasota Bay. I would love to see them expand their glass line in the shorter lengths and lighter line weights. I'm not going to pay $600 for a darned graphite rod, when TFO makes an good performing, affordable one for a fraction of that. It would be nice to see them offer an expanded line of glass.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 12 Oct 2008, 11:28 • #38 
Sport
Thought I would add another reply to this thread now that I have cast the rod. I took my FF705 and a WF5wt. line with me today to the flyshop and spent about 20 min. casting the TFO on the lawn. I will have to say that I liked the action of the rod afterall. It is faster than the 705 but still very smooth. I forgot to take a 6wt line with me but they had one spooled on a reel so I tried it also. It felt better with the 6wt casting into a slight breeze. I wish it was a little longer, maybe 7 to 7.5 ft and a 3 piece instead of 2. It kind of felt similiar to a D-glass 8ft 4wt when comparing against the 8ft 5wt. 3 piece. Slightly faster but still smooth.
I did not like the handle or the cheap looking reelseat that is on the TFO and I chose not to buy the factory rod for that reason. I can see it being a rod I would enjoy using on mid size streams for smallmouth, panfish with foam poppers and small streamers or throwing hoppers and beetles on some area trout streams. I will probably be looking for someone to build one for me with a different grip and slideband reelseat after the first of the year.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 21 Oct 2008, 11:22 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
A client of mine asked me this question; so, not knowing the answer i will ask my resident experts,: Do you know of a 7-1/2-8 foot rod that has similar characteristics to the 6'8" TFO? I cannot recollect any glass, nor moderate graphite that has similar casting characteristics. Anyone?-p-

New TFO Glass rod
Post 21 Oct 2008, 15:10 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
How do ya'll think the Berkley parametric compares with the TFO? Anyone cast the TFO and the 7.5 or 8' USA Parametric for comparison?I know they are as light of hand, probably the parametric is a little slower though, huh?-p-

New TFO Glass rod
Post 22 Oct 2008, 00:22 • #41 
Master Guide
Gene
I haven't spent a lot of time casting the Berkley's, but from what I can remember, the Berkley's while almost as light in hand, had more of a parabolic action, whereas the TFO's are more of a tip action rod and considerably faster. However, that's just my opinion. Without being able to cast the two rods side by side, it's hard to say for sure.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 22 Oct 2008, 01:13 • #42 
Administrator
Gene,

That TFO is a unique beast. I can't think of any classic glass that feels like it. What line weight is your client looking for?

Tom

New TFO Glass rod
Post 22 Oct 2008, 02:20 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
He loves the TFO; just wants it to be a foot or so longer; so #6 probably-p-

New TFO Glass rod
Post 22 Oct 2008, 02:45 • #44 
Master Guide
Gene
It shouldn't be too big a problem to add a 10" extension to the butt section of one of those blanks, and that would give you a 7'-6" rod. However, it would also end up a staggered ferrule rod, with the butt being the longer section. I've got a few projects that I've got to get finished, but as soon as they're done, I'm going to give that a try. I'm thinking that doing this will make the finished product even more of a tip action rod than it already is. For me, that would be a plus (you know how much I like those tip action rods), but it might not suite everyones taste.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 22 Oct 2008, 02:58 • #45 
Master Guide
This is getting more and more interesting. I'm anxious to see what you two birds come up with.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 22 Oct 2008, 04:42 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
Barry; you need to try to use your influence on the powers that Be and get them to cook a few 7'9" blanks; just one foot longer than the current version; those things would sell like hotcakes at a Fat Boy Breakfast; by pass the lower hierarchy; talk to his wife!HA!-p-

New TFO Glass rod
Post 22 Oct 2008, 05:51 • #47 
Master Guide
Gene
Yep, that would work, seeing as I have all that influence with TFO. (LMAO) I can't go through Ginny, because I'm saving her for when I need a big favor! (LOL)

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply