It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:41

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
New TFO Glass rod
Post 06 Oct 2008, 08:52 • #1 
Sport
I ordered the new TFO fiberglass rod today. I plan on doing some lawn casting at the fly shop before purchasing.it Anyone else tried or have bought one yet?

New TFO Glass rod
Post 06 Oct 2008, 08:58 • #2 
Master Guide
Gary-- Are you working through LRO? I keep trying to lobby Daniel into carrying the full line of "F-series" Scott rods, but so far, no dice.Image

New TFO Glass rod
Post 06 Oct 2008, 10:07 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I've got a blank just haven't built it out yet. Barry let me try his version and it casts well with 6 or 7 weight line.
Les

New TFO Glass rod
Post 06 Oct 2008, 10:07 • #4 
Piscator
I got to see my first one this weekend - Alex brought it to the river. Faster than most of us think of for glass, but this is a mid-weight, mid-length glass rod and is a real step up for the industry, IMO. Alex had a blast fishing it.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 06 Oct 2008, 10:17 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I've got two built I would sell if anyone is interested send me a pm-p-

New TFO Glass rod
Post 06 Oct 2008, 14:51 • #6 
Sport
Jon, Yes I had LRO order one for me to cast. I don't think they will sell many in this area though. If it had been a 3/4 wt, maybe!
I think the Scott glass rods are nice, but too expensive and I guess LRO just did not sell many compared to all the Winston and Orvis rods. They did not even know that TFO had built a glass rod until I emailed them with the request. I should be up there to cast it next week with a few different lines.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 06 Oct 2008, 16:18 • #7 
Master Guide
Gary,
It's definately quicker than traditional glass. I use a WF7 with mine. Pearow puts out some nice stuff and he'll stand behind his builds.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 07 Oct 2008, 03:35 • #8 
Master Guide
Gary--

Thanks for the update ... I might slip down there myself and string it up.Image

New TFO Glass rod
Post 07 Oct 2008, 06:30 • #9 
Master Guide
Would this be another rod that has a composite graphite/fiberglass blank?

I looked on the TFO website and couldn't find anything on any fiberglass rods there yet.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 07 Oct 2008, 08:32 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Arctic,
Not composite true s glass.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 07 Oct 2008, 09:06 • #11 
Master Guide
Pretty cryptic thread so far guys - for the benefit of us less enlightened souls, self included, what blank, how much, where available?
thanks
Mark

New TFO Glass rod
Post 07 Oct 2008, 10:08 • #12 
Piscator
the blanks were never available except to friends of TFO reps.
They hemmed and hawed over introducing the rod as a "starter" rod for kids.
We made enough noise over them, they are now introducing them as part of the Finesse line of, otherwise, IM6 graphite rods.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 07 Oct 2008, 10:46 • #13 
Master Guide
Thanks Bulldog! I do see one now listed in the Finesse rod section. http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/rods/finesse.html

The local Sportman's Warehouse also sells TFO rods. I almost bought a Finesse rod one time. I'll have to check each time I'm in there to see if they start stocking the glass rod.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 07 Oct 2008, 15:44 • #14 
Administrator
Finally, the rod is on the TFO website. Thanks for the link! The list price is $179.99. Ask your local dealer for the TFO glass rods. When the dealer tells you that TFO doesn't make glass, bet him a 50% discount and show him the link.

A bunch of us were able to source these blanks last year due to our outstanding charm and good looks. At the time, TFO had the blanks but planned to make them as starter rods. Evanslmtd brought a prototype starter to the Glassic this past weekend. This year, TFO decided to produce these rods as part of the Finesse line. The final product looks pretty nice. The rod blank is a very dark green, almost black. The hardware is standard TFO. The earlier posts have the action and line weight pegged - a very light in the hand, quick action, 6/7 weight.

Tom

New TFO Glass rod
Post 08 Oct 2008, 01:15 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
While you are all patting yourselves on the back remember that Carl Barney was the first to show me one of these blanks and then he offered them on eBay .
If Carl hadn't let the cat out of the bag the cat would have gone to the bottom of the lake in the bag.
Carl caught allot of flack for his over zealous and premature offering but if he had not made the existence of the blanks/ project known it would have died.
I have cast the rods and I don't care for them they are way too fast for my taste and I see no advantage of them over Graphite.
The price is way over the top as well for what they are!
Just my opinions and observances take it or leave it.
Tight Lines and Credit Where It's Due Loops
Andy M

New TFO Glass rod
Post 08 Oct 2008, 01:17 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
I was privileged to buy a TFO glass that Bassackwards had tied up. He had it down at the Glassic on the brazos. Its a beautiful little rod and he did a professional job on it. They are nice ; a mite fast for glass but theyre great windcutters-p-

New TFO Glass rod
Post 08 Oct 2008, 02:02 • #17 
Master Guide
Andy M.,
Thank you for your reply. You have brought us all down from our high horse and, in doing so, possibly prevented serious shoulder injuries from patting ourselves on the back. Some of us are old and aren't as flexible as we once were.

Last edited by beauglass on 08 Oct 2008, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 08 Oct 2008, 02:47 • #18 
Piscator
Andymanyankee wrote:
Hello
While you are all patting yourselves on the back remember that Carl Barney was the first to show me one of these blanks and then he offered them on eBay .
If Carl hadn't let the cat out of the bag the cat would have gone to the bottom of the lake in the bag.
Carl caught allot of flack for his over zealous and premature offering but if he had not made the existence of the blanks/ project known it would have died.
I have cast the rods and I don't care for them they are way too fast for my taste and I see no advantage of them over Graphite.
Andy M
wow

New TFO Glass rod
Post 08 Oct 2008, 03:00 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
reminds me of that ole rock and roll song that goes:
"yor wife, she's sooooo ugly!"
"yeah, but she sho' can cook"
-p-

New TFO Glass rod
Post 08 Oct 2008, 07:13 • #20 
Master Guide
Thanks for the link/info. Curious spec for a 'finesse'series rod

New TFO Glass rod
Post 08 Oct 2008, 12:35 • #21 
Master Guide
Andymanyankee wrote:
Hello
Andy M

Andy
I have no idea who Carl Barney is but there's been a few of us that have been building those blanks up for a few years now (and really like them). I don't have a clue as to what you meant when you said "If Carl hadn't let the cat out of the bag the cat would have gone to the bottom of the lake in the bag". If you meant that TFO wouldn't have continued building the blanks I strongly disagree. I know it's hard to believe, but TFO's business plan doesn't revolve around either one of you! If that hurts your feelings so be it.
If you don't want to be used as a target, don't paint red circles on your shirt!
IMO, if someone is looking for a mid-length/weight fast glass rod, you'd be hard to do better than the TFO S-Glass.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 08 Oct 2008, 14:41 • #22 
Administrator
C'mon Andy, you know I'm not charming or good looking. But did you have to out me so quickly? I'm trying to emulate the back patting spirit of election season here ...

It's certainly true Carl let the cat out of the bag when he offered a TFO glass rod blank on eBay . Within hours there was a spirited discussion about it on the Glass board. But I know from talking to Jim Shulin at TFO that a significant number of blanks were distributed by the time Carl started his auction. Carl didn't keep the project alive so much as he was very indiscrete about it. However, as a result, TFO benefited from the Internet buzz created by the early reports.

I recall you weren't terribly impressed by the TFO I brought to the Clave in 2007. That's cool. This rod won't appeal to a lot of fiberglass afficiandos. It is on the quicker side of fast. In my opinion it has the advantage of fiberglass toughness to go with that graphite like action. Again, in my opinion, I think this material has the potential to replace graphite for heavy duty fly rods, such as saltwater 10-15 weights and tournament legal bass rods. For years now, TFO, Scott, and Lami have sold "Bluewater" heavy fly rods made with glass/graphite mixtures. It will interesting to see which company will be the first to go back to straight S-glass.

Tom

New TFO Glass rod
Post 09 Oct 2008, 01:05 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks for putting things in perspective Tom.
This is a discussion board from what I remember and not everyone here is going to have the same opinion all the time.
That my friends is what makes this site such a great resource for the fiberglass aficionados the diverse group of people we have on board and their valued opinions.

When Carl introduced these blanks no one here had ever heard about them or at least if they had the information was a secret.
From my understanding T.F.O. had been working on them as an entry level rod for youth to learn to cast and they were going to be offered at a very reasonable entry level price for youngsters.

When Carl had let the cat out of the bag the understanding was that the project had been abandoned!
When I was shown the blanks and the rod Carl had made from the blank I was not impressed!
Carl's finishing work was great I just didn't like the fast action ( MY OPINION ).
When Tom let me cast his T.F.O. he made on the same blanks at the1st Class Clave it was the same I didn't like the action again ( MY OPINION )
I don't like 7 weight rods under 8' again you got it my (OPINION )

I am sure for some people these rods will be just what they are looking for and they will love them! Too all those people more power to you have at it.

As far as all of you working to have T.F.O. introduce the rods and offer them to the public GREAT JOB and hats off to T.F.O. for listening!

My point was and still is while patting yourselves on the back don't forget Carl whom without his so called indiscreet passing on of the information of the existence of the blanks the project was at best on the back burner.

I'm sure Tom can attest to the fact that when he inquired at T.F.O.about the blanks they were described as from a project that had been abandoned or tabled!

Tom last I must say that you are not the apple of my eye again just my opinion.
Fortunately your wife and children see you as the apple in theirs and rightfully so!

Tom you never mentioned that South Bend rod I purchased for you from Carl last winter ,I am curious as to what you think of the rod ,it was one of the nicest looking south bend rods I had seen and the action seemed right on please tell me how you liked it ,I would really like to know your opinion.
I hope you will shoot some photo's and put it up on the picture forum.

Tight Lines and Just My Opinion Loops
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 09 Oct 2008, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.

New TFO Glass rod
Post 09 Oct 2008, 01:16 • #24 
Administrator
Andy,

You're right. That South Bend rod deserves more love than I've had time to give it. It is unlike any other South Bend glass I've handled with the light weight build and cosmetics. I can't give any excuse except it's been a very busy year. I haven't had a chance to get that rod on the water. And the South Bend isn't the only rod I need to photograph and post the pics!

Last spring the company line from TFO was "on hold" with the rod blanks. Now the rod is on the market. However it came about, I hope it is a sign of things to come.

Tom

New TFO Glass rod
Post 09 Oct 2008, 07:49 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks, pearow, for the kind words about that rod I sold you. You once told me that if you could build a rod, then anybody could do it. That's what got me started.

I thought the TFO blank cast quite well. The main reason I sold it was that I had several other rods that filled the same niche. Also, it didn't feel any different from a graphite rod. Part of the appeal of fiberglass to me is the different feel.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply