It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:18

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Jul 2019, 20:50 • #1 
Hi All;
Saw the kickstarter campaign for these rods on Cameron's fiberglass manifesto, any body here get a chance to try one out?

Thanks in advance;

Wayneb

Post 16 Jul 2019, 10:32 • #2 
I took the chance and put an order in for a 4wt, figuring it was worth keeping as a backup rod or if I took friends fishing with me. I'm hoping it will serve me well for panfish and some occasional trout fishing

Post 16 Jul 2019, 15:58 • #3 
Guide
They look great! I would like to know if blanks are domestic. Is cork AAA?

Post 16 Jul 2019, 18:58 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I saw these not long ago. It sounds like they will not ship until around August. They look nice.

At $115 per rod (msrp 225-250), it sounds like an overseas manufacturer; China would be my guess.

Other glass rod series which are made in China include: Redington Butter Stick II's ($250-280), Fenwick Fenglass ($200-250) and the Echo BAG Quickshot ($280). (just the ones I personally own)

Post 17 Jul 2019, 13:37 • #5 
Sport
I took a chance and snagged a 6wt. Figure it'll be a great deal at $115.

Post 17 Jul 2019, 19:15 • #6 
Master Guide
Out of sheer curiosity I purchased the 5wt. For 115.00 how could one go wrong. There is no way I could build a 8’ 5 wt. with a bag and tube for this price.

Post 18 Jul 2019, 10:32 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Can't even buy a USA made blank for that price.

Post 18 Jul 2019, 12:35 • #8 
Guide
I've had one of their "Shadowcast" 7 1/2' 3 wts (3 piece) for a couple of years...great casting rod, protects tippets well during strike and fighting fish...my only complaint is the screw locking reelseat (that's not really necessary on a rod of this size and line weight) , they could have made the rod lighter (and better looking) with a cap & ring seat.

Last edited by pgwulf on 19 Jul 2019, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Jul 2019, 13:04 • #9 
Sport
How would you describe the action of the 3wt Shadowcast? I haven't had a chance to build mine yet, but just holding the blank, the action feels a decent amount slower than my Proof Fly Fishing 6' 3wt Reed

Post 18 Jul 2019, 22:45 • #10 
Guide
ApostateTapir wrote:
How would you describe the action of the 3wt Shadowcast? I haven't had a chance to build mine yet, but just holding the blank, the action feels a decent amount slower than my Proof Fly Fishing 6' 3wt Reed

It is a slow action rod, but a Barclay 8'2" 3 wt I have is built on one of his Progressive tapers and the top 7 1/2' of it is probably the same action as the Moonlit.

Post 19 Jul 2019, 13:14 • #11 
Master Guide
Moderators please feel free to move or remove but this kind of stuff always makes me wonder how invested in a product someone is when they need crowdfunding to bring it to market.

Q
Post 19 Jul 2019, 14:16 • #12 
Sport
Marty Romeo wrote:
Moderators please feel free to move or remove but this kind of stuff always makes me wonder how invested in a product someone is when they need crowdfunding to bring it to market.

I may be off base here, but investment =/= the capital to launch a new product line. Moonlit is a boutique fly rod shop. I doubt they have the capital to launch a new product line, especially with MOQ's in place more and more in niche industries. Crowdfunding is a viable route to source the funds necessary for an MOQ.

Post 19 Jul 2019, 14:35 • #13 
I agree ApostateTapir. It always seems to be the guys selling $500 dollar rods who have a problem with blue collar rods and creative ways to raise the funds to launch new ideas.

Post 21 Jul 2019, 07:41 • #14 
Sport
I believe they explained the reason they need crowdfunding very well. It's actually a pre-order, not a "pay now and maybe you'll get our product later if we can pull it off" deal like so many crowdfunding efforts are.

"As a small guy in a big industry the price bringing out a whole line of rods is costly and risky, even when you have a great product that people love. We have taken a huge risk in investing in this new series of Lunar S-GLASS rods. Your highly discounted pre-purchase of these rods through this campaign will give us the funds needed before our final production payment is due. These funds will lower that risk and allow us to work on more innovative products that you will love in the future."

Anyway, in my continuing search for the perfect 2wt, I ordered one.

Post 21 Jul 2019, 19:06 • #15 
Guide
They look beautiful! I plan to purchase one of the lighter versions!

Post 22 Jul 2019, 09:36 • #16 
Master Guide
Shouldn't it be easier to put up the investment cash for inexpensive blue-collar rods??? That's where logic would lead me... If prototyping China-made blanks, you can burn through a whole lot of one-offs to get the taper you finally settle on.

I think of it like student loans. Those made me get up and go to those 7:30 labs because I was personally heavily invested.

Post 22 Jul 2019, 10:18 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Marty Romeo wrote:
I think of it like student loans. Those made me get up and go to those 7:30 labs because I was personally heavily invested.

Yeah, but it if there is another funding option isn’t probably wise to explore it? Speaking here as someone who now regrets taking out as many student loans as I did, despite the fact that I’ve been successful in the field I studied - but yes now Im definitely off topic! Carry-on...

Post 22 Jul 2019, 11:59 • #18 
Sport
brockton wrote:
Marty Romeo wrote:

Yeah, but it if there is another funding option isn’t probably wise to explore it? Speaking here as someone who now regrets taking out as many student loans as I did, despite the fact that I’ve been successful in the field I studied - but yes now Im definitely off topic! Carry-on...

Agreed. Why would one put unnecessary strain on the business' finances when there's a perfectly viable alternative?

Post 22 Jul 2019, 14:37 • #19 
Master Guide
Perhaps you're misunderstanding the sentiment. It's not whether the method is viable, rather it's a question of how that method impacts quality of the final product. If you're not willing to ponder that, I get it. It's just something that I think about.

Post 22 Jul 2019, 15:25 • #20 
Sport
Removed

Last edited by ApostateTapir on 25 Jul 2019, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post 23 Jul 2019, 12:36 • #21 
Sport
Moonlit just posted an update on the campaign.

"We just wanted to thank everyone for supporting our campaign as it was very successful in raising the funds we wanted to bring in this new line up of fiberglass fly rods. We greatly appreaciate the stress this takes off of us to have a portion of the order pre-sold.

Our factory is in the finishing stages of assembling the rods and we should still be shipping them out to you early August."

Post 24 Jul 2019, 14:25 • #22 
Sport
Marty Romeo wrote:
Perhaps you're misunderstanding the sentiment. It's not whether the method is viable, rather it's a question of how that method impacts quality of the final product. If you're not willing to ponder that, I get it. It's just something that I think about.

But it's still their company and reputation on the line, thus their money is on the line. No different than any other business who has 3rd party investment.

Post 06 Aug 2019, 12:06 • #23 
Sport
Got this update.

"With the delay of the reel seats that needed to be sent back for replacement, our estimated ship date is now August 21st. Sorry for the delay but we did not want to give you a product with a defect in the reel seat. Thanks for understanding."

Post 06 Aug 2019, 16:01 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Yes there is another funding option. It is called a business plan to support a loan application such that the borrower and the bank, not the potential customers, take the risk. The bank or loan source is able to perform due diligence as to the risk and potential for a return of principal and interest. . Take a look on Alibaba.com to see how little is needed to order a batch of custom fly rods, blanks, or components. Yes, of course due caution is advisable with alternative funding. Yes, of course established vendors with a record of successful delivery and a product in stock command a higher price. Ordinarily, investors (funders) receive a return on their investment, proportionate with the risk taken. In this case, a fly rod is offered at a competitive price, nothing more. Crowdfunding to launch a business in which funders become part owners is one thing. Crowdfunding to purchase a product not yet produced is another. It will be interesting to see if people get their money's worth.

Post 07 Aug 2019, 22:28 • #25 
Guide
Hi all,

When Alexis and I decided to start 406 Fly Lines we did a lot of soul searching and such to figure out how to get started. Best thing I did was sit down with Matt Cassel from Cliff Outdoors Fly Boxes at the ********* FFF Conclave. Talked for about an hour and the best advice I received was don't go in debt and stay small until you can afford to do it right. He also told me to call him anytime if I needed someone to talk to. We've followed his advice and it's worked out well for us.

I guess my point is I don't understand all this Crowdfunding, Gofundme, and other ways of using other people's money to startup a business. If you believe in your idea you should fund it yourself, not using other people's money. If something goes wrong with your plan it's not your money hanging out there. Our commitment was 100% ours, not anyone else's.

Just my two cents worth.

Tom

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply