It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:54

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Jul 2019, 23:50 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Rods that I build out I do not even put a line wt on it. Allows the angler to figure out what line works best for them.

Last edited by ARReflections on 03 Aug 2019, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Jul 2019, 06:04 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Random thoughts generated by this thread, which nay not have any value ...
>A rod is not "overlined" until it it hits the flat spot, DT line will overline most rods at ~45', that's the reason people like WF for long casts
>Most rods built in recent decades are under rated as a marketing device.
>A weight forward line at 10-20' is a step or two up in line weight by design, and at 30-50' is two or more steps down- we fool ourselves with tapered lines- if you want to know what weight the rod wants, or is capable of, use level line.
>At 5'-15' on dinky water it should all be leader.
>My FF80 is a light rod when paired with a 1494 and a WF6 or L5. (weight of line on the reel is more important to feel than weight of the grip+blank?)
>When I fished tiny brooks in the southern New England for native brookies the top half of an 8.5' Cortland 8/9wt rod worked very well with 16' leaders. (drilled dowel for grip & reel in pocket) It would still get out to 30' if there was room.
>If I told you, or he told me, what was the perfect rod for such a situation, it would not be the same in your hands as in my hands, nor would his best rod be likely to suit me as well.
>Why make stuff harder when a 6wt works? At less than leader length to 1.5 x leader length the line isn't really working anyway-we are flinging the fly on it's own mass.
>like CrustyBugger's post, mostly

Post 26 Jul 2019, 07:28 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Crusty,this is a great time in fly rod history for great 3 wt. rods under 7'.........Aurelio

Post 26 Jul 2019, 10:58 • #29 
Sport
I have an interesting project that I'm finishing up this afternoon. I've taken a Moonlit Shadowcast 7'6" 3wt, 3 piece blank, which is slow action, then removed the bottom piece. This makes it a 5' 2 piece slo-o-ow 3 wt or even a 2wt. I am applying the last coat of epoxy today and it will be ready to try casting with on Sunday. My hopes is that it will cast like a 2wt for those tiny streams.

Post 26 Jul 2019, 16:17 • #30 
CrustyBugger wrote:
Corlay, I have to say that most, scratch that, the overwhelming majority of short rods under 7ft and under 4wt suck. Yes many of those rods will cast lighter lines but if you’re honest about it, they cast a heavier line better. To me, it’s not about how light a line a rod will cast but rather, what line the rod casts best. The old 7ft 3wt 2pc Lamiglas was very nice with a 3wt line but as soon as you got to a 3pc or more, it became a 4 wt. I never cast it with a 3.5wt but it may or may not have been better. I remember a 3wt line being a bit much for the Lamiglas 6’6” 3wt but never tried a 2 or 2.5 wt line on it so I don’t know. Most of the rods discussed here tend to do better with a half or full line weight heavier IMO. I have a Steffen 7’6” 2/3 wt 3pc that handles a 3 wt a good deal better than a 4wt but it’s just as good or better with a 3.5 wt so you could call it a 3.25wt if that helps. I have never in my life cast a rod with a recommended line wt of 2wt or less cast a line that cast best with that line wt. They ALL cast better with a heavier line, usually, on average, they cast better with 2 line wts heavier, some less but some lots more. I have cast a rod listed as a 2wt that cast better as a 6wt. Just because a good caster could cast it with a 2wt didn’t make it a 2wt rod. Whenever someone tells me they only use light line rods like 1 to 3 wts, I just roll my eyes. They aren’t doing anything different from those using 4 to 6 wts. They are just making things harder for themselves so they can make others feel like they are doing something special. And yes, I have a full set of lines in half line weights up to 7.5wt. Whenever I cast a new rod, I always try to find the best line weight to the nearest half weight. If I find a rod casts two adjacent line weights about the same, as the case with the Steffen 2/3, I call it to the middle 1/4 weight until I find which fishes best. In the case of my Steffen, it does just a little better with the 3wt over the 3.5wt.

......there really isn’t anything left to say on the subject, I’d also rather spend my time fishing than geeking a twitchy rig :- )

Last edited by AzTrouter on 26 Jul 2019, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Jul 2019, 17:09 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
After reading you and Crusty's posts I think I will sell all of my geeky 3 Wt.s under 7 feet .i have finally seen the light........Aurelio

Post 26 Jul 2019, 18:42 • #32 
aurelio corso wrote:
After reading you and Crusty's posts I think I will sell all of my geeky 3 Wt.s under 7 feet .i have finally seen the light........Aurelio

Lee Wulff didn’t fool with those things for a reason and that’s good enough for me!!

Post 26 Jul 2019, 19:10 • #33 
Guide
AzTrouter wrote:
aurelio corso wrote:

Lee Wulff didn’t fool with those things for a reason and that’s good enough for me!!

Of course there's a good reason. There probably were no 3-weights in Lee Wulff's heyday!

Post 30 Jul 2019, 10:40 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Trev wrote:
Random thoughts generated by this thread, which nay not have any value ...
>At 5'-15' on dinky water it should all be leader.
>When I fished tiny brooks in the southern New England for native brookies the top half of an 8.5' Cortland 8/9wt rod worked very well with 16' leaders. (drilled dowel for grip & reel in pocket) It would still get out to 30' if there was room.
>Why make stuff harder when a 6wt works? At less than leader length to 1.5 x leader length the line isn't really working anyway-we are flinging the fly on it's own mass.

I am going to disagree with some of this.

When I fish "dinky" or "tiny" water, I often use a short 6' leader. What is the purpose of a 16' leader, if only a few feet of it are ever going to see the water? not following... (I'll even go so far as to say: what is the purpose of a 16' leader for ANY water, except for maybe highly-pressured spring creeks?)

So, the way I rig, the fly line absolutely does contribute to all but the very shortest casts.

Last edited by corlay on 30 Jul 2019, 10:43, edited 2 times in total.

Post 30 Jul 2019, 10:41 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
CrustyBugger wrote:
Corlay, I have to say that most, scratch that, the overwhelming majority of short rods under 7ft and under 4wt suck.

Exactly the reason for this post: let's hear about the limited few that don't suck. lol

Post 30 Jul 2019, 19:24 • #36 
Guide
I have a 6 ft 6 inch 2/3 Steffen that I finished out in a classic manner with a Spanish Cedar reel seat filler and garnet windings. I recently received a single taper 3 wt. silk fly line from Jaime (Zen). Casts like a dream.

Post 30 Jul 2019, 19:39 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Half that 15' is rod and arm.

Post 30 Jul 2019, 19:41 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
corlay wrote:
I am going to disagree with some of this.

When I fish "dinky" or "tiny" water, I often use a short 6' leader. What is the purpose of a 16' leader, if only a few feet of it are ever going to see the water? not following... (I'll even go so far as to say: what is the purpose of a 16' leader for ANY water, except for maybe highly-pressured spring creeks?)

So, the way I rig, the fly line absolutely does contribute to all but the very shortest casts.

I totally concur!!

I like thread furled leaders and have 3' leaders twisted up especially for my dinky stream fishing to which I add 2 -3 feet of tippet, SPECIFICALLY so the fly line is out past the tip top, loading the rod when I am making those 10 -15 foot casts.

Many moons ago I used to make up a "leader" of about 2 - 3 feet of 3X with about 2 feet of tippet and a Perfection loop on the butt end. I would attach that to the loop on the end of my fly line, loop to loop and use that when I fished small streams for the same reason, I wanted the rod to load WITH the fly line.

If I wanted to just cast 16 feet of leader, I'd use a Tenkara rod. It honestly works a whole lot better.

Last edited by Bamboozle on 31 Jul 2019, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Jul 2019, 20:01 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
Can I ask what lines you/folks are using? I recently picked up a 1/2wt and need to find a line and this is new territory for me.

Last edited by jeffsod on 31 Jul 2019, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.

Post 31 Jul 2019, 06:25 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Sci Angler Mastery DT for me. It's the only line I buy these days for a lot of reasons, one being it has the shortest front taper out there which also is a big help to get the belly out past the tip top quicker.

Long front taper lines may be OK for for 40 - 60 foot casts, but I find them lousy for rod loading at 10 - 20 feet and that's my casting range on dinky creeks. I also find the long front taper "delicacy" hype exactly that, which to me means unnecessary.

Post 31 Jul 2019, 07:19 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the input!

Post 31 Jul 2019, 08:16 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
Corly.great rods under 7
Scott F2 653
Chris' new 6'6" 2wt.
Steffen 6' 2/3 are great small stream rods that are good in close out past 30'
Like bamboozle I use a 3' threaded leeder with 2 to 3' tippet also a big fan of SA mastery dt. Trout if I want to load more i use rio gold on the F2
The 6'6" hardy I cast a couple of years ago that Mike brought was a sweet 3wt.
I am very curious on what you decide or think is great brookie rod because you have had some really good rods in the past.
If you want to go to 7' Dusty's 7' 3wt. Is sticky and gooey and kind of a neat rod.........Aurelio

Post 31 Jul 2019, 08:33 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
aurelio corso wrote:
I am very curious on what you decide or think is great brookie rod because you have had some really good rods in the past.

I've owned and/or cast a lot, to be true.
But there are still a bunch of likely sub-7' contenders that I've yet to get my hands on:
(any) Scott. (never have cast a Scott glass, ever...)
James Green
(re-designed) Steffen
NOS Lamiglas 6'6" 3pc (with spigot ferrules)

My current 5'9" Tiemco and 6'9" Right Staff are pretty perfect.
But it's fun to stay in the hunt, too.

Post 01 Aug 2019, 19:10 • #44 
Sport
I have two of the rods mentioned earlier in this thread (Scott F2 602 and 653) and have fished them both for about a year.

As I’m sure you’re aware, the F2 653 really does everything well.

When I’m fishing small water where neither wind nor fish over 10” are likely, I reach for the F2 602. Even the smallest fish puts a smile on my face with this rod.

I have enjoyed these lightweight short rods so much that I jumped on a Scott FS 583 that appeared in the classifieds. My initial impression upon its arrival was, “Wow that’s a short tube!” I have not had it on the water yet...hopefully sometime soon. It is so short and light that it feels ever so slightly butt heavy even with the Waterworks Purist that perfectly balances the F2 602. I never thought I would need a reel lighter than that one!

Post 03 Aug 2019, 12:42 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
What is the need for a truly short 3wt? I use short rods in dense cover, and that usually means brooktrout on a high gradient stream.

At that point, it's all roll cast and bow and arrow cast. I end up preferring a 5wt just to load the small rods, but I also don't often fish flies smaller than a 16 in these conditions.

Just wondering what drives the need for a light rod. For most fishing, I want more reach for better drifts than a lighter line.

Post 03 Aug 2019, 14:10 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
For smaller streams, flies, and fish, They're a lot of fun for me; no other reason. Acknowledge that I could just as well use a 4, 5 or even 6wt.

Post 03 Aug 2019, 15:46 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
carlz wrote:
Just wondering what drives the need for a light rod. For most fishing, I want more reach for better drifts than a lighter line.

for me, a rod sub-7’ in length and a 3 or 4 wt just feels “right” to me.

I use a 3 in really tight conditions like you describe and bow and arrow casts are fine. I will also use a 3 on small low gradient brookie waters as well. on these a little casting is possible, as they are more open.

I generally dont fish flies on these waters larger than #12. but hardly ever smaller than #14 either.

I use short 6’ leaders.

for tiny streams like this, I am almost always casting upstream, and controlling drift with a longer rod doesnt seem necessary. The pools I am targeting are so small, if there is a brookie in there, it hits my fly within seconds of hitting the water.

a 7’ 5wt is such a comfortable combination that I also utilize - but usually on a bit larger (>100cfs) streams, and when I may not fish dries exclusively, or want to rig a dry with a dropper.

Post 03 Aug 2019, 15:49 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
3 wts are a lot of fun as for as short goes I guided this 11 year old kid one time while his dad went to Santa Fe to get his car serviced and when his dad came home and asked the kid what he learned he replied"with a short rod I got hung up in the trees half as much."Aurelio
Carl fish what ever you feel comfortable with that's what I tell my clients.I have got some guys here now that use to show up here 10 years ago with 9' 4wts. And to my surprise they showed up this year with7'6" 2wts. I asked them what happend and they said the 2 wts. were a lot more fun,maybe in another 5 years they may show up with a 6' rod..........Aurelio

Post 03 Aug 2019, 16:33 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
How big are your tiny streams? 100cfs seems pretty good sized to me, ~2-3x what I think of as small water.

Post 03 Aug 2019, 16:55 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
Trev a lot of the small streams I fish are well below 100 and fine for 3 wts.The costilla is in the 60's now and I was out today with my F2 and made a bow and arrow cast under a pine tree in a little pocket and the fish headed for the faster water but showed him the butt and got it over to the other bank and released a beautifull 14" cutthroat.when the flows were up in the 90's early this year I was using my 7'6" 3/4 Steffen.So flow has a lot to do with which rod I take.If the flows are real high a its real brushy I can always take my 6'3" Curt Gowdy parametric......Aurelio

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply