It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:58

New Topic Add Reply
Lines for CGR 7/8 wt.
Post 13 Jun 2019, 20:03 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Has anyone tried using a Teeny T-130 on a Cabela's 7/8 wt. CGR glass rod?As soft as the rod is it might not be too bad. I just want to use it in deep spots on small ponds.

Post 14 Jun 2019, 05:47 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
viewtopic.php?p=336396#p336396
Thread discuses that rod pretty well.
bulldog1935 wrote:
no, haven't had it wet, and decided it definitely won't load with a T130 - seems to load perfectly at around 200 grains.

Post 14 Jun 2019, 08:14 • #3 
Piscator
yep, as in nope, T130 will not load the rod to shoot

Post 14 Jun 2019, 13:14 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks.That's just about what I thought.I have a line that came with a reel I bought a couple of years ago.I have a suspicion that it may be a Teeny T-200.It has an orange running line with a dark brown 30 ft. tip section.I have checked lines on the internet and the Teeny T-200 is the only one that seems to be those colours and there aren't too many sink tips with a 30 ft. long head.Anyway.I think I'll try that line and see how it works.At least I will once my hip replacement heals up and I can walk again. :)

Post 14 Jun 2019, 14:46 • #5 
Piscator
just so you'll know, I get offended with Teeny = sink tip.
A Teeny T-series line is a spliced shooting head.
The only good use of sink tips is high-sticking deep chutes (though Teeny will do that, too).
Sink tips hinge, shooting heads shoot.

With a basket in the surf, I've shot TS-250 140' every cast consistently, leader, line and a bit of backing (good Allbright knots)

Post 14 Jun 2019, 15:05 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Actually,I agree with you.A Teeny is actually a shooting head but the line is one piece.

Post 14 Jun 2019, 15:45 • #7 
Piscator
spliced - way cool

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 26 Jun 2019, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Jun 2019, 20:54 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
just so you'll know, I get offended with Teeny = sink tip.

lol...BD, this actually cracked me up (in a good way)...I see that you've narrowed your definition on what it is about the comments made regarding Teeny lines that offend you...fyi, I'm just messing with you...no harm (nor foul) intended.

I've always found Teeny's to be fantastic shooting heads (although, I've found some of the newer ones, i.e. SA Titan 3d and Orvis Depth Charge, to be a bit more effective for the fishing I do) for their intended purpose.

As far as the CGR 7/8, I'll defer to those who have actually fished it...apologies for the sidetrack.

Cheers

Post 27 Jun 2019, 09:16 • #9 
Piscator
it was a joke, or a segue to describing that Teeny T-series lines are in fact Not sink tips (mostly because you Can't make them hinge). But when I once Unsuggested T-200 as an appropriate choice for swinging wet flies to riffle water trout on small streams with small rods, it was You who internalized it. This is an activity I do with T-130 and BS-100 all the time, especially counting endemic bass as Texas brook trout.
I wasn't offended until you switched the topic to your opinions about Me. I do not intend to be the topic.

Here's fishing a T-200, in monsoon flows, on SB-469 7-wt cane
I also caught 200 bass this day - it was my dad counting.

also fishing T200 here, for white bass in a big flow year, on the left the same SB 7-wt, on the right a System 7.

While I've fished T-130 on Any 6-wt (of course 5-wt), my Izch S-glass 6/7, and even my RPLX-7, in general, T-200 is the best T-series line for a 7-wt rod.

I went through the exercise with the CGR 7/8, and found specifically that a T-130 would not load the rod to shoot, and T-200 loaded it perfectly.
The purpose of the exercise was to focus in and purchase this 210-gr salt floating line for for my salt-fishing niche with the CGR 7/8.

There's a spongey mid spot in the CGR 7/8 that makes it one of the most temperamental rods I've ever tried to line.
Though the spongey mid is only related to shooting line. In close, the rod seems to load and handle any line and any length leader.
The rod handled long front tapers Great in the air and for fishing close - clearly a very good rod for fishing close.
But it also shot best on lines with short front tapers - in fact, even the correct grain weight with a long front taper would not shoot on the CGR 7/8
(I have the 7-wt version of this line)
(this line does everything right on RPXL7, the long front taper improving close presentation)

Post 27 Jun 2019, 10:18 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Funny, I was out at the casting pool yesterday morning before work with my CGR 7/8 and the line I originally bought for it; a Cabela's Prestige Plus WF7F. Felt pretty good, even with a breeze.

Thinking of checking out some new (to me) bass ponds this summer...

Post 27 Jun 2019, 11:27 • #11 
Piscator
if it's a 190-210 grain belly, it's probably perfect for the rod, humor notwithstanding.
The question was about T-130 on the rod, which I tested specifically working out the best Salt line for kayak fishing - the only reason I bought this rod
(tested along with a gang of Mastery, Rio and Airflo salt lines I had around in matching and different line weights and taper configurations).
If you look at most salt lines, it's tough to find one that is anywhere near its AFTMA grain weight - some are 2 and 3 line weights heavy, to slow down under-rated graphite rods.

With 2 lines, Airflo 7-wt intermediate, and the Cortland Salt Guide 7-wt floater, I was able to have a staged rod with a foot of taper outside of the rod tip, be through the belly on the 2nd stroke, and shoot to 70'+leader on the 3rd stroke - my exact goal for stealthy presentation anywhere from the beside the boat to the end of a long cast - seated.
Try this with a 9' graphite salt rod - you'll have 5 false casts to get the front taper out.

Though the CGR 7/8 has a fan club on all coasts, there are also people complaining about the rod's inability to hold long line in the air and shoot out distance.
Others on this forum have returned their CGR 7/8 over the same limitation in its taper design. There's a really soft spot in the mid to get through, and the butt is extra strong for big fish.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 27 Jun 2019, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Jun 2019, 11:59 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Though the spongey mid is only related to shooting line. In close, the rod seems to load and handle any line and any length leader.
I will agree and disagree here;
disagree, I found the spongey part often at mid distance roll casting with my poor ability, so it isn't just shooting concern, but as you demonstrated it can be overcome .
agree; in closer than ~35' it could work adequately with 6wt-8wt with my leaders ~10' (all floating lines in my test)
I did not try as many lines as Bulldog did, nor with the patience he did, but for my use it was better with a WF6.

Post 27 Jun 2019, 13:09 • #13 
Piscator
again, never had this rod in a position to roll cast, but the rods that do it well are usually smoothly progressive with fast mid - Phillipson, Fisher.
I can see roll-casting, it would probably behave similar to an FF605.

I was going to make the rod work for my single niche, and loved how it loaded in close, so worked it out in detail, especially after I saw how well it worked with the 7-wt slime line - decided to figure out why, and duplicate that in a floating line.
I was impressed with how well it handled the front taper and leader on the Rio 7-wt Redfish floater, but it just wouldn't load to shoot it.
I tried a 9-wt 333 salt rocket which it handled great in close with long leader, got the taper and belly out instantly, but completely went limp trying to shoot it any farther - same result with an 8-wt line I tried.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 28 Jun 2019, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Jun 2019, 13:39 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Yes and I defer you on line suggestion, was only pointing out that the "spot" might be found in loadings other than shooting. Up close it was all I could ask for, reminded me of a W&M Sweet Heart I have some place.

Post 28 Jun 2019, 07:01 • #15 
Piscator
that mid is so freaking sensitive on what it takes to load it without overloading it

With the not perfect too heavy line, you could get through the cast, but it took extra control of your timing and rod loading rate, which you're probably not going to duplicate under the pressure of tailing redfish.

Post 02 Jul 2019, 23:38 • #16 
Master Guide
I have found the CGR 7/8 to cast 2 lines very well for me. The Orvis Hydros WF7F Warmwater and the SA Frequency Magnum WF7F. Both shoot with ease...the SA line a little more so.

I only fished one sink tip line (The Streamer-Stripper)...It bounced on my fairly noticeably.

I do also find that "soft spot" when trying to pick up too much from the water, but only with an 8wt line.

New Topic Add Reply