It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 10:06

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 May 2019, 18:55 • #1 
Guide
I consider myself a newcomer to fiberglass, having only built a few fly rods on fiberglass blanks. Five rods, three different colors. All rods were built for my own use, I don’t sell/market finished fly rods.

That said, I don’t see the consumer side of the business. So I’ve have been wondering whether there’s a blank color bias with customers seeking custom fiberglass rods. When I started purchasing blanks I wanted my finished rods to be identified as fiberglass rods. Dark brown or black blanks would have been of no interest to me.

Larger scale fiberglass blank companies offer a wide range of colors, as do some large commercial fiberglass rod companies. In the custom market, are retail builders on this site seeing any color trends from consumers?

Post 30 May 2019, 09:47 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I think that I sell about 50-60% raw/white glass.

Post 30 May 2019, 10:10 • #3 
Master Guide
Good question. I carry blanks ranging from bright green to dark brown and they all sell pretty consistently. I have two new blanks in the works and based on feedback I went with darker more traditional colors.

Post 30 May 2019, 13:12 • #4 
Guide
Thanks guys, part of my thinking with my question had to do with an apparent difference between building on graphite vs building on fiberglass. Though there are exceptions, a lot of freshwater big brand fly rods are dark, some in matte finish. Many blank-only offerings come in some version of black/charcoal only. The reason seems to be a more stealthy approach - avoid having the trout see your rod waving over the water.

Here in fiberglass world, we’re unashamedly waving white/natural, yellow, and other bright colored rods over our heads.

Post 30 May 2019, 14:19 • #5 
Guide
The glass rods with which I fish run the color spectrum from black, to Fisher/Winston/Claudio Brown, a lighter tobacco color, yellow, and raw white...I just ordered a rod that is a translucent brown...some sanded, some not. I don't care if other fishermen idntify my rods as glass, grass, or graphite, and I enjoy them all.

Post 30 May 2019, 21:04 • #6 
Master Guide
One of the reasons you see lots of “matte or charcoal” is the added expense of adding a clear coat or paint. Second on the additional top coat are the number of rejects, paint blemishes, ect. It adds up.

Post 30 May 2019, 21:56 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
When I started purchasing blanks I wanted my finished rods to be identified as fiberglass rods. Dark brown or black blanks would have been of no interest to me.

Those are the colors I identify with most vintage 'glass rods, well several shades of brown, so I don't follow your reasoning.

Post 31 May 2019, 08:38 • #8 
Master Guide
After finding this forum, one of the first things I noticed are the amazing colors of our "modern" fiberglass rods and the fact that most are translucent and practically glow when backlit by the sun or artificial lighting. So far as choosing a rod color, it could be based on the colors of the components of the rod, i.e., the reel seat, hardware, thread color, perhaps an agate guide, even the color of the fly line and reel could have a bearing on the rod color.

Post 01 Jun 2019, 04:25 • #9 
Guide
White and bright colors are not an option for this ol’ boy. Even back in the early 70s, I didn’t want psychedelic colors on my fly rods or lines. As for my rods, about the gaudiest it ever got was Berkley yellow.

Post 01 Jun 2019, 06:21 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
If you we're going to identify with fiberglass then I agree with Trev. Brown (fisher, fenwick, conolon, many others) then yellow (Scott, berkley) or white (Shakespeare).

Other marketing colors like bright red to blue and orange (Epic, eBay offshore offerings) are recent and capitalizing on the fiberglass "rebirth".

"Brown dammit" will be familiar to some.

Post 02 Jun 2019, 10:25 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
To echo what wjude said above, if you look at many dark production rods they are also wrapped with dark color threads. Wrapping flaws aren’t as apparent when there is less contrast. Contrasting colors, especially on light colored blanks, show every little flaw.

(I only fish my rods in the dark. :P )

Hayden

New Topic Add Reply