It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:10

New Topic Add Reply
The Glass Tech forum
Post 29 Sep 2008, 19:28 • #1 
Administrator
This forum is centered around technical discussions of fiberglass fly rods. Subjects such as recommended line weights, reels, reviews, evaluations, and other topics intended to get the most use out of fiberglass fly rods.

Tom

The Glass Tech forum
Post 23 Aug 2011, 23:55 • #2 
Hello - I found a New FF867 in a house I purchased - Is this a good fiberglass fly rod. "L" series - 8.5' #7 Line w/red nylon sleeve and brown case with FF867 on top of lid?

Re: The Glass Tech forum
Post 03 Sep 2012, 09:50 • #3 
Sport
Yep, I have had that same rod for about 40 years. It was one of the first fly rod I purchased from K-mart many years ago. I have caught a lot of trout on it. Back then, a 7 wt rod was considered as an "all around" rod and the normal size for trout. I have slowly, over the last 40 some odd years gone to lighter and lighter rods, currently fishing 4 wt glass and bamboo mostly. However, I have used this rod for bass a lot and it does a good job. I used a DT7 Scientific Anglers line on it and was pleased with the performance.

Post 01 Jan 2014, 23:14 • #4 
Master Guide
My feeling is that it is the taper that matters most. I'm not going to pick one over another, but one can argue E glass v. S glass, painted v. unpainted, and ultimately it is the rod maker's skill that will determine how well a rod casts, regardless what of the three major materials or combination thereof the rod blank is constructed from.

Post 27 Jan 2023, 20:26 • #5 
Sport
I have this rod and love it. Also an "L" series. I use it for casting weighted streamers to smallmouth. Half weight heavy WF-7, but it's also very nice casting an 8 weight with poppers. My experience is that this rod casts 5-10 feet further than a SA System 7 rod (same line, same streamers.)

It's a keeper. Enjoy it!

Post 23 Aug 2023, 10:44 • #6 
Sport
The reason the mandrel is tapered is to save money on glass material
and make the rod lighter.
The action you want is done by either adding material or by changing the taper.
There always has to be enough glass material to assure the integrity of
the rod (not to thin).

New Topic Add Reply