It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:30

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Sep 2008, 07:49 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I'm looking to outfit my newly acquired Garcia 2536T with a WF7 line,
to fish weedy, warm water ponds with poppers (mostly) for Largemouth Bass and various panfish.

What lines make the short list for this usage?
This type of fishing is all new to me ...

I've heard:
SA 'Headstart' WF6F (this line must run heavy? Feels like a 7?)
and
Rio 'Bass'

mentioned by multiple forum members, in passing,
in various posts before.

Any others?
The line's gotta be High-floating with a WF, if not a specialized 'Bass' taper ...

Post 25 Sep 2008, 08:29 • #2 
Sport
SA Mastery bass bug taper is my favorite (it is also basically just their mastery saltwater taper in a different color) - you are looking for a compact head, and if you are truly throwing bass bugs, go with a level, short (6') leader (8 - 12 lb) I like to use Maxima Ultragreen -

Post 25 Sep 2008, 08:55 • #3 
Emeritus
You've got quite a few choices, depending on the price point you can tolerate. My hands-down favorite bass line is the Pat Ehlers Bass Line by Teeny Line Company. I have one in a WF7 and its about as good an all-around bass line as I've used. Bright red on color, the line features a glow-in-the-dark tip. Very handy at night, Really, very handy, especially when you fish before dawn or after dusk. The taper is just about perfect - very radical wf with a longish rear taper that allows good casting distance and control. This line is great to about 70' or so - you can false cast 45 feet of line plus leader easily. Not a bad roll-caster in close to about 30' with the right rod. I use mine on a Garcia and on my Browning 322980. Of course a quick look at the Teeny Professional Series web page suggests maybe this line is no more ... there's still a Pat Elhers bass design but the glow tip seems to be gone. Still, worth looking for for sure!

If you want a much less expensive line I heartily suggest either an Orvis Clearwater WF in 7 or and SA Headstart in 7. Both are very aggressive wf designed that are built to let a new caster "feel" the rod load. They are BB taper with a shorter rear taper and shorter running line at 70'. That's okay because these lines are really designed for fishing inside of 50' Roll casts of more than 25 of line (plus an additional 9' of leader) are challenging as the back taper is abrupt and you cant roll from the running line into the head. That said, these are a very sweet everyday line for under $40. I've got them in sizes from wf4 through wf9 and I've got three and four of some sizes as back-up. I must like them! Note - Orvise closed out the lines at $12 a while back. While that deal is gone, there are probably more than a few for $20 or so on Sierra Trading Post.

You can do a lot worse than a standard WF7 from Cabela's. The Prestige is a very solid performer, though not as radical in taper. Good cross over for smallmouth/heavy trout/light largemouth.

Finally, I actually have an Air Cell II WF white fly line in a measured 7wt on my Garcia 6 1/2' rod. For a decade-old department store line, I'm truly impressed. Under $20 at Meiers, Walmart or similar stores.

Joe C.

Post 25 Sep 2008, 09:36 • #4 
Guide
The Ultra 4 Bass Taper Lines are going cheap around here. I bought a bass taper 7wt. for $24. Check to see what is on clearance around your area or online. Not a bad line at all.
TW

Post 25 Sep 2008, 09:44 • #5 
Administrator
That rod should be able to handle anything from a heavy 6 weight to an 8 weight. Maybe even heavier. Start with a line you already have and take it fishing. If you need more beef, get a heavier line. If the line is too heavy, find a lighter one.

The Rio Bass and Rio Clouser lines have a short front taper designed for heavier flies and lures. The Bass line I have measures right on the AFFTA standard. The published specs for the Clousers indicate they are 3/4 of a weight heavy. I think SA and Cortland have specialty bass tapers also.

I agree with Joe about glow in the dark lines. Along with the Pat Ehlers line, I would watch eBay for a 7 or 8 weight Rio LumaLux. The entire line coating glows in the dark. I find it a very useful line between early dusk and pitch dark. Being able to see the line in the air, however dimly, is a great advantage while you are casting. There is also an intermediate glow in the dark fly line left on the Jim Teeny Discontiued/Closeout page of his web site.

Lately I've been fishing size 8 Chernobyl Ants around dusk. I've been tying a small piece of glow in the dark Fun Foam on top of the fly. I can't see the fly glowing on the water - I strike when I hear a splash in the proper direction. But I can easily see the fly gently glowing in the fish's mouth. That way I can remove the fly without turning on a light and ruining my night vision.

Tom

Post 25 Sep 2008, 11:15 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
jgestar wrote:
Start with a line you already have and take it fishing.
great advice,
except the heaviest line I own is a Cabela's WF5F ...
(or is my Cortland 444 Classic Peach DT5F heavier?)

Like I said,
this Bass Buggin'; game is a new one to me.
I just know that I needed to move up to beefier gear,
for the weedy pond I've been fishing ...

I was wondering if anyone had tried and had good things to say about the Cortland bass taper.
I pass by the Factory Outlet occasionally, and might look for one there.
(likewise for the 444 Classic Intermediate (Ice Blue) line, for an alltogether different usage - swinging wets for trout)

Post 25 Sep 2008, 11:25 • #7 
Emeritus
I've got the Classic Intermediate in an 8wt - fabulous line. Excellent for fishing divers and crease flies just under the surface or swinging streamers. I use Rio sinking leaders (7.5' 12lb test) in 2.9 to 8.0 ips sink rate to make a really versatile rig out of one line. A superb tool to have in your kit.

Joe C.

Post 25 Sep 2008, 14:08 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I use an old Air Cell 8wt on my 2536T and it works well. I can't imaging throwing a 6wt with it. Flyfishingcloseouts.com (something like that anyway) used to have some Orvis WF7F cheap. I'm not one to pay a lot of money for a line, a lot of expensive lines are too stiff for my tastes, and I seem to be able to cast and catch fish with whatever used/found/budget lines I have. That said, buy a cheap 7wt and 8wt, see which you like best with the rod.

Post 26 Sep 2008, 02:52 • #9 
Master Guide
Hi All;

I used an Orvis clearwater wf9 on my Garcia 2406 and it works great. This line is definetly more agresive than a standard wf floating line. Although it's not glow in the dark, the chartreuse color shows up well in the dark. Fly shop closeouts has this line in wf4,wf6,and wf9 for $15.95each. I also purchased a wf6 but have yet to try it.

Joe: I have the Dave Whitlock Teeny bass line in wf8. I have yet to use it on the water but lawn casts well. How do the Whitlock and Ehlers Teeny lines compare?

Waynebh

Post 26 Sep 2008, 03:38 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Level lines are fine for most bass bugging. 7 weight or 8 will cover a good wide range of bug sizes, and there's little need of the delicacy a lighter weight might offer.

Post 26 Sep 2008, 05:16 • #11 
Emeritus
Quote:
Joe: I have the Dave Whitlock Teeny bass line in wf8. I have yet to use it on the water but lawn casts well. How do the Whitlock and Ehlers Teeny lines compare?
I don't have any experience with the Whitlock line, so I can't comment on that one. I'm definitely curious, though! I have a Clouser line - it's very fat. It's an 8wt, but it's about the diameter of a 10wt. Very fat and not great in the wind. Not a bad line, all told, but I don't think I'd spend $65 on it again.

Joe C.

Post 26 Sep 2008, 06:19 • #12 
Master Guide
I'll chime in here with my two cents. Barry turned me on to the SA Headstart lines. I use the WF8 on my FF85 and that old Montague I just rebuilt. They will shoot with the best of them in the windy conditions I normally encounter up here and I've been able to turn over some serious deer hair bugs with it too. However they aren't the best for roll casting unless you're inside of 30', then it depends on the rod. For the money, I think they're hard to beat.

New Topic Add Reply