It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:47

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Sep 2008, 09:56 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I know that several of our forum members have this rod and I've been trying to get some feedback from some members but no answers yet, so I'm going all out. I'm real interested in a Mark Steffen 8'6" 5/6 wt glass rod and need some feedback. I want to use it strictly for smallmouth on a big river and it needs to cast mainly #4 and #6 streamers and poppers once in awhile. I don't want a real slow, Lami style rod like my 8' Lyons glass rod. Where does this rod fall, medium, med-fast, or med-slow? I love that Mark makes his own blanks but have never cast this rod before. I just want to get more info before pulling the trigger. Thanks for any help and info.

Post 29 Sep 2008, 13:01 • #2 
Master Guide
To me the rod is more of a 6wt. Imo, it is a faster glass rod, maybe medium fast with a 6wt. It's the perfect bass rod. I bought the first 8 1/2ft 5/6wt Mark made, maybe I talked him into doing it. Unfortunately, I sold mine [2pc] but have always thought of getting another in a 3 pc version. It's a very good rod!

Post 29 Sep 2008, 13:25 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Boo, Wow, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Something that's more of a 6wt than a 5wt., in the medium to med-fast, but glass. Fishing smallmouth I like to use a WF6 or DT6 and it sounds like it could do a fine job. Thanks for the info.

Post 29 Sep 2008, 13:30 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I have the 4 piece version of this rod. It's probably the rod I use more than any other. I usually fish it with a TT5 but a 6 WF works well too. I classify it as a true medium action glass rod, faster than McFarland not as quick as a Scott or Quiet Loop. Definitely not slow with lots of backbone. A great all around rod.

Post 29 Sep 2008, 14:22 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I had the 8'3" 5/6 in a 2pc. Great rod, but I decided I prefered vintage E-glass for my streamer fishing. For me, the rod was for river trout. For bass ... I'm sure it'd be fine. It's a lot lighter than any 8'6" vintage glass you'll find. Lots easier on the casting arm ...
PS: Frogmorton fishes some quality gear. For me, if he says he's fishing this rod more than any other ... that's a big time endoresement.

Last edited by Anonymous on 29 Sep 2008, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Oct 2008, 16:19 • #6 
Master Guide
Hi Jay,
I would consider my Steffen 8'6" 5/6 a medium action glass rod. It has real nice backbone, but also really flexes well especially in the upper 1/2 to 2/3 of the rod under load and with a fish on. It will toss some line, but also has a lot of finesse as well.

I've only fished mine a few times so far, and have used a WF6 full sinking line (both type III and type II), and also a DT6 floating line. The flies I've used have been small, though (10 - 14). I think it fishes a 6wt just fine, but would also handle a 5wt real well.

I used to fish the Spokane River in Washington a lot years ago at night with a sink tip line on graphite rods (medium to moderate fast action) for big trout, using big wooley buggers and sculpin imitations in sizes 2 and 4. The flies were usually weighted and very full and bushy. After fishing these for several years on a 7wt rod and line I decided to scale down and use a 6wt setup for a season. I have to say that the 7wt handled the big flies and big water much much better than the 6wt. With that in mind, considering the fishing you plan to do, I would have to recommend a 7wt setup. The Steffen 5/6 is a great rod, but you might want to consider a McFarland 7wt in something around 8'3". That would be a better rod for heavy #4 streamers I would think. I love my Steffen 5/6 and it is one of my favorite rods for sure, but I'm not sure that it would be my all around choice for flies larger than #6, especially heavy streamers.

I guess that didn't clear things up at all, now did it?

Tom

Post 07 Oct 2008, 12:20 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Tom, Thanks for getting back to me about the Steffen. Not sure what I'm going to do, but I must say that fishing Duff's Fenwick FF806 has made me re-think getting a Steffen for now.

Post 21 Oct 2008, 11:06 • #8 
FFR Founder
I also have a 8.5' 5/6 Steffen 3 pc. and agree that it is a med. action and best as a 6 weight. I love it - you would have no problems with streamers and poppers. Sure a Fenwick is a great rod, but I would strongly recommend the Steffen. There are thousands of Fenwicks out there and you should be able to pick one up quickly for years to come - but the Steffen? I would strike while you can. Cheers, Alec

Steffen 8.5' 5/6 wt.

Last edited by Flytackle on 21 Oct 2008, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.

Post 21 Oct 2008, 22:30 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
The Steffen purchase has been delayed or derailed again due to another rod I love. I just found a Fisher 9' that I fish with a DT5 for $95. But it's a gulp ... .graphite. Very light and smooth. And, it flexes into the cork! How can I beat that?

Post 22 Oct 2008, 05:53 • #10 
Administrator
Flytackle ... I still like that Steffen build of yours so much. That mylar really sets it off. Now you've got me thinking what a great blank that would be for trips out West on big water.

New Topic Add Reply