It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 03:43

New Topic Add Reply
Cabela's rod
Post 17 Apr 2019, 23:43 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I had some extra cash so I purchased a Cabela's CGR 7.5 ft. 7/8 wt.Does any one have one and how do you like it.I haven't cast with it yet but I love the soft action and spigot ferrules.For the price ($89.95 CAN) it seems quite well made.These rods seem to have just arrived in Canada.

Re: Cabela's rod
Post 18 Apr 2019, 00:38 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
It is a great rod for close-in big fly fishing. Several of us find it to be the best of the popular CGR series. Do a search here and you’ll find endless discussion of the rods.

Post 18 Apr 2019, 06:14 • #3 
Master Guide
I have used and continue to use my 7/8 weight CGRs frequently for a variety of fish, fresh and saltwater types. It’s been great for slipping deer hair bugs under and around low hanging tree branches or out in the marsh stalking redfish from the kayak. I like relatively short, heavy head floating lines with mine when fishing from the flatbottom or kayak where it’s normally easy to dial in the distance you desire simply by re-positioning the boat.

The rod is not universally loved so don’t feel bad if it isn’t for you. Different strokes for different folks.

Post 18 Apr 2019, 07:28 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
A more recent discussion of that rod viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64518&hilit=7%2F8+weight+CGR

I'm one that took it back after a few days, I found it adequate but not special. If it had been my only 7wt, (actually I liked it better with a 6wt line) I might have kept it, if it had been $40 on special (like it was a few months previously) I would have probably kept it. It can do tricks but you have to work a bit to get it there. Bulldog1935 gives it very good reviews and describes it well.

Post 18 Apr 2019, 08:02 • #5 
Piscator
it's a temperamental rod for shooting line (narrow grain weight), but fishes anything very well in close.
Trev found the rod tough to roll-cast.
you can also find a lot on this rod on TKF forum.
https://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/search.php?keywords=cgr+7%2F8&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 19 Apr 2019, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Apr 2019, 09:42 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for all the replies.I definitely think I will like the rod.I get a hip replacement in 2 weeks so it may be awhile before I get out with it.

Post 18 Apr 2019, 14:53 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Stonefly wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.I definitely think I will like the rod.I get a hip replacement in 2 weeks so it may be awhile before I get out with it.

Good luck with the hip; I hope it gets you back into great fishin' form.

Post 18 Apr 2019, 22:10 • #8 
Master Guide
Stonefly wrote:

Good luck with your replacement. I had mine done a little over a year ago. The surgery and recovery all went better than great. I think it was about 5 or 6 weeks after the procedure and I was fly fishing again, at least from shore.

Post 19 Apr 2019, 16:29 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah,I've heard nothing but good about the replacement.They get you up walking the same day of surgery now.5 or 6 weeks was what I was thinking before fishing the ponds.I'm hoping to be able to fish one of my favourite streams late in the summer.I haven't been able to wade for 5 years.The CGR is definitely going to get some use though.

Post 01 May 2019, 12:26 • #10 
Master Guide
I have three of the CGR series rod, the 7 footer, and both 7.5 footers. The 7/8 weight model does well with both 7 and 8 weight lines. I love it with an 8 weight bug taper. The 7.5 foot length makes it handier up close than the nine footer 8 weight rods i have.

New Topic Add Reply