It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:00

New Topic Add Reply
Sa anadro/nymph on glass
Post 02 Apr 2019, 19:17 • #1 
Guide
I recently got my hands on some sa anadro/nymph in 5 and 6 wt. For those of not familiar, this is essentially a reverse double taper with a 60 ft head. What are peoples thoughts on using these on glass? In particular i am thinking of using the 6 on an 8 wt phillipson rf86be 8 wt and a rwf86 7 wt. Thinking streamers and bass bugs

Post 02 Apr 2019, 19:22 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I like the Anadro line a lot. It’s a size and a half heavy (I called SA and asked) so a 6wt is a 7.5. I used a 7wt Anadro on my Sterffen 8/9 and it worked well for a big fly dry line.

Post 02 Apr 2019, 19:47 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
According to the chart on the SA site the lines are near two line weights heavy, at the 30' mark; they would taper down in weight from that point on though, so at some point be 1 1/2 wts heavy.
Choosing the line accordingly- 1 1/2-2 wts light, they should work as well as a WF, perhaps better at some distances.

Post 02 Apr 2019, 20:05 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Oooh, my 5 wt. really works great with a 3 wt. Anadro line :lol

C'mon man!

Post 03 Apr 2019, 03:04 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I have used the original SA Steelhead which then morphed to the Anadro and now the Anadro/nymph. Originally I don't believe the line was overweight but over the years I think it first went up a half weight and then one and a half. It's basically a long belly line similar in taper to the Extra Distance - a very good taper.

As far as the nonsense of not labeling lines true to weight - I don't approve but I don't let it bother me. If there's a line taper I like I usually buy it in a range of weights and match line and rods to taste. So for example a true 9wt rod will work with a 7wt or 8wt Anadro.

In the heavier weights these lines are also nice for switch rods and short/light double handers.

Post 03 Apr 2019, 11:15 • #6 
Guide
ericdimarzio wrote:
I recently got my hands on some sa anadro/nymph in 5 and 6 wt. For those of not familiar, this is essentially a reverse double taper with a 60 ft head. What are peoples thoughts on using these on glass? In particular i am thinking of using the 6 on an 8 wt phillipson rf86be 8 wt and a rwf86 7 wt. Thinking streamers and bass bugs

It's more like a stretched out bass bug line that can roll-cast across a river :)

I wouldn't recommend one of these lines for shorter glass rods but for anything over about 8'6" or 7wt and up they're the bee's knees. I've been hooked on them since casting one following a shellacking at a casting competition when I was 17; I threw a bug taper to 86' 7" (I underlined an 8wt GLX) at the time but that afternoon took my shop manager's 8wt Steelhead line on an RPL+ and dropped the backing knot off the rod tip as the cast settled.

I also use them as switch lines - two-hand casting, etc - on appropriate rods. Your 11ft CTS might really like one of those lines. If you don't want the 5, I might know a guy....

Post 03 Apr 2019, 15:01 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
jhuskey wrote:
Oooh, my 5 wt. really works great with a 3 wt. Anadro line :lol

C'mon man!

I know but that’s the way things are these days so might as well roll with it. At least there is some justification for this one being so heavy - it’s designed for rollcasting steelhead rigs with indicators and shot.

It just also happens to be a long belly with a short front taper which makes it one of the few options for a bass but line with a long head.

Post 03 Apr 2019, 20:31 • #8 
Guide
Thats what i am thinking, bass on glass. I got a 5/6 wt graphite armed with titan long that is a rocket launcher up to a point and an 8 wt cts graphite that might be overkill. This should slot in nicely

Post 04 Apr 2019, 02:34 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Overlining with a long belly line is a bit like overlining with a DT - it's not going to work very well at distance (which is what a long belly is intended for in the first place - control at distance). So I honestly don't understand why this line was made heavier. The only rationale for that would be to keep up with rods that are designed overly stiff for their rating. I much prefer to use this line in a way that it doesn't overload the rod and for softer rods that means underlining by one or even two.

Post 04 Apr 2019, 05:40 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
That matches my thinking, Giogio. If you have used it, does it shoot well?
In looking at the profile picture, the front taper is so short that I would think it would be like using a heavy level line for the first ~35'.

Post 04 Apr 2019, 07:20 • #11 
Guide
The profile pic is misleading. The front taper is not really much different than a bass bug taper.

Post 04 Apr 2019, 07:58 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I just realised I made a mistake after looking up the Anadro. I am still using the Steelhead version (both Mastery and Sharkskin versions) of the line and upon closer inspection the taper is somewhat different to the Anadro. On the Steelhead the front tapers go from 6.5' on the 6wt to 8.5' on the 10wt - I couldn't find numbers for the Anadro but it looks to be shorter. Total head length is also longer on the Steelhead at 66' on the 7wt vs 61' for the Anadro.
Steelhead shoots just fine and is ideal for swinging flies, long overhead and spey casts. I imagine the Anadro will behave similarly with a bit more aggressive turnover due to different front taper. With a softer rod I would underline (I think even SA is suggesting that https://blog.fishwest.com/gear-review-scientific-anglers-sharkwave-anadro-fly-line/ which makes the whole line rating thing even more humorous).

Post 04 Apr 2019, 08:02 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Great line, does exactly what it's supposed to. I got the 8wt for my 8wt, but also use it on my Bandit and 7wt switch. best for indi nymphing, but can handle lighter sinktips for swinging flies. I've also used it for carp and it worked fine. Also a great bass line.

New Topic Add Reply