It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:37

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: 11 wt options
Post 07 Mar 2019, 05:58 • #26 
Guide
Marty Romeo wrote:
I appreciate Peter's deference.

It's faster than the 2pc 12wts I've built (McFarland and Seele). This is a GT/tarpon blank through and through, far easier to travel with. I've now built 3 of the 2pc 12wts (7'9", 8'2" and 8'3"), and the 2pc 12wts are true 12s if a bit more moderate in action that this 4pc blank. Underlining the 12s yields poor casting results. This 4pc blank will tolerate many 10wt lines, every 11wt line I've tried, and even some 12s. I think it's probably of better overall utility for the frequent traveler. I do think the 2pc 12wts are outstanding tarpon rods, though, and wouldn't hesitate to fish for big sharks with them. The 4pc 10/11/12 isn't as much of a niche taper - more suitable for bull reds, tarpon, big stripers, big pike and musky, large kings, GT, big jacks. Difficult to describe but the 12wts will, as needed, handle larger flies.

Just what I was looking for Marty, thanks, I really appreciate it.

Re: 11 wt options
Post 07 Mar 2019, 09:10 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Hey man, that's cool. I just thought it was a little strange that you came asking for all sorts of advice on it, then when asked about what you got, declined to say...even though that was a blank builder who was mentioned at some point. Like I said, cool that you found something that will likely suite you.

I've cast the 8'8" 8wt McFarland/Seele built up by Marty and it's a damn sweet rod. If the 10 is anything like that, you're in for a real treat and a very versatile rod.

Cheers!

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply