It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:01

New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Feb 2019, 14:40 • #1 
Sport
Still wet behind the ears and haven't figured out the Search feature yet. My question has no doubt been covered in the past.

Do the binding resins used in old fiberglass rods have a life expectancy? I've begun fishing some of my 40+ year old glass rods. Are they in any danger of failure because of their age?

Post 11 Feb 2019, 14:47 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I don't think so. They are damaged by heat and UV in excess, if the windings look good I fish them. Most of my rods date from the '60s so are getting close to 60yo and show no resin failure. I fish every rod I own.

Post 11 Feb 2019, 15:33 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
If it looks good it's probably OK. Moisture is not good for polyester resins and UV is bad for everything - damage will most likely be visible.

Post 11 Feb 2019, 15:51 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
And that's another thing not all glass rods used the same resins.

Post 11 Feb 2019, 16:05 • #5 
Sport
Okay, guess I'm worrying for nothing. Thanks for the replies.

Post 11 Feb 2019, 16:31 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
As others have said, avoid excessive heat and UV, and it's not a good idea to put a rod in a closed tube while wet. I have rods going back to 1953 and don't hesitate to fish them.

Larry

Post 11 Feb 2019, 17:00 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I'd say lasts indefinitely with minimal care but may change slightly. Fiberglass products like boats, canoes, and fly rods will outlast their users in most cases. I'm still around, but too lazy for the portages on the Allagash now, so next year my 50-year-old 'glass Old Town will go down with my neighbor, his son and their group of fathers and sons. If a rod has no obvious damage, no reason not to use it just over concern that age alone has made it more likely to fail. Always a fun discussion; this one doesn't focus just on the resin, but is relevant: viewtopic.php?p=95927#p95927

Post 11 Feb 2019, 20:08 • #8 
Sport
Thanks again for the info and opinions, especially the link from whrlpool. Certainly not a fly rod, but I did a complete gut job on a 1967 31 Bertram and was surprised that the glass in the hull was in such good shape after nearly 40 years, and that boat took a LOT more abuse than any of my fly rod.
Another question - what are the names of different resins that have been used in glass rods - from beginning to today.?
Thanks

Post 11 Feb 2019, 20:42 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
The only rod i have seen that seemed it could fail was a quite pretty wonderod that looked cosmetically almost perfect but had developed some very tiny hair line cracks in the finish.I found out the balsa core had probably swelled at some point.This is a crap climate to store anything in an unheated storage area.I lost 2 full boxes of really nice old lures this way.I had no knowledge of balsa cores in some early wonderods and found it a home with a collector who said it was still fishable. He wanted it more for the color and model.I have a few brown glass spinning rods that are destroyed except for the blank.I am sure with new cork, hardware and seat they would be as good as new.

Post 11 Feb 2019, 21:34 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Phenolic resins were the first to be used in glass rods. The drawback to phenolic resin was that they often created blanks with small voids or pores, plus you could not add color to the blank. Blank makers progressed next to using polyester resin, which was not as strong as phenolic, but colors could be added to the resin. Finally epoxy resins were developed and are still in use. Recently silica nanoparticles have been embedded in epoxy to create a stronger binding of the graphite or glass fibers used in making a rod blank. At this time I believe only Hardy is using this nano silica resin in making fiberglass rods.

Larry

Post 13 Feb 2019, 21:16 • #11 
Sport
Thanks everyone.

New Topic Add Reply