It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:34

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Jul 2019, 14:27 • #26 
Some overdue pics from RMNP trip at the end of april. Great fun on the water. I did end up with a grand slam for the trip I just missed pics of the rainbow and brown.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post 11 Jul 2019, 14:30 • #27 
Here are some from a recent trip to the Catskills. I love fishing here.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post 11 Jul 2019, 17:59 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful water and trout!

I've broken out my TFO blank from its shipping tube and will start building soon. It's of the FSG type, and I don't know the significance or difference from Finesse Glass ("Finesse S Glass? Fast S Glass?).

It does bear a Lefty Kreh signature script:

The rod does seem to be fairly stiff, so I'm not surprised it's more of a 4wt. Outside dimensions at butt and winding check are smaller than my Steffen 732/3, though, so we'll see. Tip is about the same. Wall thicknesses look substantial, and that will add some stiffness.

Glad yours worked well for you in RMNP and in the Catskills.

Post 15 Jul 2019, 18:49 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
I have just completed my version of the TFO Finesse Glass 7' 3/4, and I really like how smooth it easily lawn casts both a DT3 and a DT4 out to 40 feet. I am currently offering it for sale in the rods on-hand section of my Woronoco Fly Rods website. It is a very nice small stream rod, and I hope TFO reintroduces this blank soon.

The TFO Finesse Fiberglass rod is made of unidirectional s-glass, with a moderate action that truly is smooth, so you can feel the rod work as you are casting. Factory FSG models feature heavy, up-locking reel seats with hardwood spacers and too long, 7 inch reversed half wells grips. My version features a lighter, premium aluminum REC cap and ring reel seat with a brown cocobolo spacer, and a 5.5 inch hand turned, cigar cork grip.
ImageDsc05979a by John Pretola, on Flickr
ImageDsc05976a by John Pretola, on Flickr
Give these rods a good look.
John

Post 16 Jul 2019, 19:37 • #30 
Very nicely done. Looks great.

Post 16 Jul 2019, 19:47 • #31 
However nice this rod is for their price point I will say I'm beginning to become more acutely aware of its parameters; it is a very specific tool. I know someone mentioned possibly being able to overline it with a 5wt line but I'm not sure I agree. It might be my casting but I think the 4wt line I have is enough and I kind of wish he would have set me up with either a DT 4 at or a WF 3 wt line. I'm not arguing my local shops expertise, I'm just wondering how either of those options would change the casting. I guess I'll have to get a couple new spools and see one of these days.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply