It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:27

New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Aug 2018, 05:07 • #1 
Sport
I've had a request to build a rod for a potential client. It's a rod to solve a specific problem. The angler wants to target some pretty big trout (10lbs and over) that frequent some pretty tight water down here in New Zealand - see the photo attached, and and you will see what I mean (fish are sitting just to the left of the log jam).

Essentially he wants something that can load up to cast a 4 weight line so as not to spook them - but has enough power to quickly bring the fish under control. He also wants it short - around the 7ft.

He has done a bit of research and has suggested using a 4 weight blank from CTS - but getting it customised to increase the butt +2 and to reduce the tip -2 (so a six weight in the butt, and a 2 weight at the tip). He thinks this will then allow the rod to load very quickly for short casts, but give it the lifting power it needs for these big fish in the butt.

To me, this seems to make sense. I was interested in what other think??

Post 31 Aug 2018, 07:01 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Horsing a 10+ lb. fish away from a log jam is going to take a very heavy tippet - 0x? And probably a short leader if the conditions are tight. Both kind of go against a stealthy presentation. I guess in theory it could work but with a custom made blank and a custom build it would be an expensive experiment.

Post 31 Aug 2018, 10:29 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
my thoughts are the same as tiptop. In addition though, if it were me, I'd just try to approach from way above with a streamer on 12lb+ tippet since you're not horsing anything from anywhere with light tippet anyway, may as well go for the most aggressive fish in there.

Post 31 Aug 2018, 19:38 • #4 
Guide
I would guess this guy has hooked and lost a few of these monsters already. If it was me I would chuck and duck it with straight flourocarbon or maxima and a 10ft 7 or 8 weight rod if legal. I also think a 2 weight tip is too soft-big fish have tough mouths and you need to get the hook stuck in them.

Post 31 Aug 2018, 20:14 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
2 weight tip is not a good idea IMO.

Post 01 Sep 2018, 10:39 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I would think an ultra-light glass spin rod built as a fly rod might do it. If build 1 piece 6' or 7, you might be able to make short casts with a light line like a #4 or #5. If glass, It would have the power in the butt to horse such a fish.

That be no 6" brookies there!

Post 01 Sep 2018, 12:32 • #7 
Master Guide
Quote:
I would think an ultra-light glass spin rod built as a fly rod might do it. If build 1 piece 6' or 7, you might be able to make short casts with a light line like a #4 or #5. If glass, It would have the power in the butt to horse such a fish.

I completely agree with archfly and would look into a spin blank as one of the options. Glass rods are praised on this forum for their forgiveness/tippet protection in technical situations...but that quality is not very desirable when powerful fish can swim into a hole in the bank or wrap you under big log with one or two flicks of the tail. Tight quarter fishing for larger fish is a different game. You want an ultra fast rod response to stop that fish, otherwise it will be gone.

Post 02 Sep 2018, 02:43 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Not taking away from anything said above I can say a bit about my experience with custom CTS blanks. The closest rod that I've built to what you are proposing is a 7'6" 4wt with - 1 tip and +2 butt on the already fast standard taper (this is practically a TLT style rod with a 3wt line but can be fished with a 4 or 5wt too - I prefer the taper with the light line because that's where the extreme speed of the taper makes sense). Starting with a 4wt and going - 2 on the tip will result in a tip that's way too soft. A regular 4wt tip is already plenty soft. Going +2 on the butt will help but it's nothing I would think of for hauling in 10lb fish out of cover. The rod you are thinking of is something I might consider using with a 3wt line for midging for 2 lb trout - but it would be too fast (for my tastes) for that use.

Just looking at the CTS custom configurator if 7' is the chosen length I'd go for the 8wt and have the tip at -2. The result would be a fast 6wt rod - in line with most of the recommendations above. I think this is the lightest rod you would want in those circumstances. I would keep the butt standard.

Post 03 Sep 2018, 03:50 • #9 
Sport
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. Personally, I wouldn't be dropping below 6 weight for these bad boys - and your comments have confirmed what I was thinking.

Cheers!

Damon

Post 03 Sep 2018, 07:40 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
A 5' Little Shortie would work perfectly.
Tight Lines And Right Tool For The Right Job Loops
Andy M

New Topic Add Reply