It is currently 07 Aug 2020, 18:36


Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next New Topic Add Reply
Author Message
Re: Scott F Series
Post 02 Jul 2019, 12:40 • #226 
Sport
Joined: 12/31/18
Posts: 54
Location: US-WA
I tried the Rio Gold and Cortland 444 DT3 side by side on the 6'6" F2 and came away preferring the Cortland.

That said, I've cast both the FS 663 and the F2 653 and they're fairly different rods.


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 02 Jul 2019, 15:16 • #227 
Guide
Joined: 05/15/17
Posts: 318
Location: US-PA
What do you find different about them? Do you prefer one to the other?


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 03 Jul 2019, 10:20 • #228 
Sport
Joined: 12/31/18
Posts: 54
Location: US-WA
DavidFin wrote:
What do you find different about them? Do you prefer one to the other?

That's a better one for aurelio, he's spent more time with both. I didn't have the FS and F2 side by side, unfortunately. All I can say is that the FS isn't just an improvement or refinement of the F2 taper, it's got a different action.

One obvious difference is the uplocking reel seat on the FS vs downlocking slide bands on the F2. I liked the slide bands a little better on such a light rod.


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 03 Jul 2019, 15:34 • #229 
Guide
Joined: 05/15/17
Posts: 318
Location: US-PA
I will never forgive Scott for the bulky stock grip and seat they chose for the F, but the new F is one of the most intuitive rods I've ever used. I had the F2 703 and it was ok; nothing more, nothing less. Haven't used the F2 653. I've cast a few of the new F Series and find them all to be incredibly smooth. I had a very weird experience with the 724, though. I LOVE casting it but didn't enjoy fishing with it. I used it one day side by side with the 663 and the 663 did everything better.


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 03 Jul 2019, 17:41 • #230 
New Member
Joined: 06/09/18
Posts: 8
Location: Sweden
DavidFin wrote:
I will never forgive Scott for the bulky stock grip and seat they chose for the F, but the new F is one of the most intuitive rods I've ever used. I had the F2 703 and it was ok; nothing more, nothing less. Haven't used the F2 653. I've cast a few of the new F Series and find them all to be incredibly smooth. I had a very weird experience with the 724, though. I LOVE casting it but didn't enjoy fishing with it. I used it one day side by side with the 663 and the 663 did everything better.


What reel do you use on your F663? It would be interesting to know how much weight needed on the reel to get balance in the front of the handle.


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 04 Jul 2019, 09:07 • #231 
Glass Fanatic
Joined: 10/09/09
Posts: 2402
Location: US-NM
The f2 has a slightly softer tip and and stronger butt than the new F653.The new one seems to track better cause of a slightly stronger tip but the f2 feels better in close.I think I prefer the S glass over the new E glass F.Both are great rods and I prefer the handle and reel seat on the F2 much better and the stronger butt on the F2 in case I hook into a 18 or 20 incher,but the packabillity of the new one makes it a keeper for me.......Johan851 which one did you end up liking more?..........Aurelio
I have been using a Ryobi 255 MG which really is to light for the rod but I like it


Last edited by aurelio corso on 04 Jul 2019, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 04 Jul 2019, 14:48 • #232 
Guide
Joined: 05/15/17
Posts: 318
Location: US-PA
I've been using a CFO 2 with mine.

Thanks for chiming in, Aurelio!


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 05 Jul 2019, 00:10 • #233 
Sport
Joined: 06/24/19
Posts: 28
Location: US-CA
After two trips to the park, I was honestly a bit disappointed in my new F-series 663. I bought it because last month I fished my first Scott glass, the F2 602. I thought that rod was simply AWESOME casting dry flies close-in... but it seemed a little light when the fish approached 12 inches.

I want a dry fly rod to cast tighter loops with as little as 3 feet of line beyond the tip. I have ZERO graphite rods that allow me to do this without a LOT of work (exaggerated arm movement).

Both times I lawn cast my F-series 663 using a Rio Gold WF3. Today I put a SA WF4 on it, and that improved things for me a LOT (the rod loaded close-in, and also enabled longer casts with little to no false-casting).

Based on the lines I've used so far, this rod seems more like a 4 wt... but I need to cast more lines.
Any other thoughts appreciated. I have never cast a 406 line. Rio has a new "Creek" line I've also never used. Isn't a Wulff TT light in the forward end... so it doesn't seem like it would facilitate loading a rod at short distances.


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 05 Jul 2019, 00:15 • #234 
Sport
Joined: 12/31/18
Posts: 54
Location: US-WA
aurelio corso wrote:
Johan851 which one did you end up liking more?

I ended up with the F2 and I think I like it more, although I didn't cast them side by side. I cast the FS 602 next to the FS 663, and then cast the F2 653 next to the Barclay Synthesis 68.

I definitely liked the slide band more on the F2, and the F2 does have a noticeably soft tip. I recall liking the FS too but I didn't spend a lot of time with it. I had to buy the F2 to get a chance to cast it, so by then it was easy to keep. :)

Using a Galvan Brookie 3/4 in black and I love the way it looks and balances.


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 05 Jul 2019, 03:26 • #235 
Guide
Joined: 05/15/17
Posts: 318
Location: US-PA
I use a Sci ang DT with mine. Couldnt ask for anything more than a slide band and shorter grip.


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 05 Jul 2019, 12:38 • #236 
New Member
Joined: 07/03/19
Posts: 7
Hey guys! Since I am new to the forum, let me just greet everybody and briefly introduce myself. My name is Pablo and I fish exclusively fiberglass fly rods, mainly small and medium streams. One of the reasons I decided to join this forum was to ask you for advice about the new Scott F-series rods. I need a rod that casts no further than 20 to 25 feet, bends deeply to the cork while playing a 10 inch trout and is great with dry fly fishing with flies size #14 - #18. I wouldn’t like it to cast further than 30 feet, throw streamers and dry dropper rigs or handle fish bigger than 12 inches. Nope. I am not looking for a versatile rod but for a highly specialized one - dry fly only, small flies, bending deep, small fish. I really love my F2774-3, so I decided to give the new F-series a go... but there are no Scott dealers where I live and I can’t check these rods out myself. Which one of the new F-series do you think guys would be the best choice? Specifically, I would like the rod to bend deeply (this is the only issue I have with the F2774-3 - it has a stiff butt section...). I am leaning towards the FS724-4 and FS723-5 but I haven’t seen any honest and in-depth review to convince me which one is the right choice. Thanks in advance for any feedback guys. Do let me know which rod would you suggest and if you think the new FS is not the answer to my question, do tell me what do you think is. Tight lines!


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 05 Jul 2019, 12:48 • #237 
Sport
Joined: 12/31/18
Posts: 54
Location: US-WA
Pablo wrote:
Hey guys! Since I am new to the forum, let me just greet everybody and briefly introduce myself. My name is Pablo and I fish exclusively fiberglass fly rods, mainly small and medium streams. One of the reasons I decided to join this forum was to ask you for advice about the new Scott F-series rods. I need a rod that casts no further than 20 to 25 feet, bends deeply to the cork while playing a 10 inch trout and is great with dry fly fishing with flies size #14 - #18. I wouldn’t like it to cast further than 30 feet, throw streamers and dry dropper rigs or handle fish bigger than 12 inches. Nope. I am not looking for a versatile rod but for a highly specialized one - dry fly only, small flies, bending deep, small fish. I really love my F2774-3, so I decided to give the new F-series a go... but there are no Scott dealers where I live and I can’t check these rods out myself. Which one of the new F-series do you think guys would be the best choice? Specifically, I would like the rod to bend deeply (this is the only issue I have with the F2774-3 - it has a stiff butt section...). I am leaning towards the FS724-4 and FS723-5 but I haven’t seen any honest and in-depth review to convince me which one is the right choice. Thanks in advance for any feedback guys. Do let me know which rod would you suggest and if you think the new FS is not the answer to my question, do tell me what do you think is. Tight lines!

First, note that some online retailers are totally fine with you purchasing a rod, test casting it, and returning it. Give them a call before you do to make sure you understand their return policy. But trying out a rod first is a pretty standard thing, and if you don't like it you're only out shipping.

Do you need a rod that can deal with wind? If wind isn't a huge issue, I'd suggest the FS 622. It'll do great for what you described - short distances with only a single dry fly. I certainly wouldn't get another 4wt if you're finding that your F2 is a little stiffer than you'd like.


Last edited by johan851 on 06 Jul 2019, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 05 Jul 2019, 13:36 • #238 
New Member
Joined: 07/03/19
Posts: 7
Thank you johan851 for a prompt response.

Quote:
First, note that some online retailers are totally fine with you purchasing a rod, test casting it, and returning it. Give them a call before you do to make sure you understand their return policy. But trying out a rod first is a pretty standard thing, and if you don't like it you're only out shipping.


That is a great piece of advice. I will do that. I would like to narrow my choices though before ordering.

Quote:
Do you need a rod that can deal with wind? If wind isn't a huge issue, I'd suggest the FS 602. It'll do great for what you described - short distances with only a single dry fly.


It's hard to answer it simply with yes/no. The stream I want this rod for is a freestone stream, quite wide (40-50 feet) but shallow and full of bigger rocks. As a result, there are only small trout there (8-10 inchers) and wind is often an issue... but fishing there is a stalking game, it's all about being stealthy and hiding behind rocks to catch anyting. It is all short, precise casts. I don't know how would a 2 wt. behave in such an environment - the lightest line weight I have ever fished is a 4, so I would have to rely on the experience of other fishermen. I read the description though and it does sound very tempting... this 2 wt. seems to be made for what I described. Have you or anyone fished it? How did you like it?

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't get another 4wt if you're finding that your F2 is a little stiffer than you'd like.


I guess you are right about it. For a second I thought a very slow 4 wt. would do the trick but finding one is another thing. Most companies focus on making their rods stiff in the butt section, so that reaching as far as line weight allows isn't an issue. The thing is, this is not always a good thing if you fish small streams and are after smaller trout. Tight loop with short line and delicate presentation is far more important in such a scenario. That is why I thought I should get a Scott FS rod.


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 05 Jul 2019, 13:51 • #239 
Glass Fanatic
Joined: 11/24/14
Posts: 1892
Location: US-NC
Pablo wrote:
Do let me know which rod would you suggest and if you think the new FS is not the answer to my question, do tell me what do you think is.

If it's not too short for your waters, I would suggest the 64p that is for sale in the classifieds. It can do more than throw dries, but it does that very well and I think would match well with what you're describing.


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 05 Jul 2019, 16:09 • #240 
Glass Fanatic
Joined: 10/09/09
Posts: 2402
Location: US-NM
Ed gave you some good advice the 64p is softer than the F2 or F........Aurelio
Or maybe one of those multiple piece Axsio Japan Rods.


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 05 Jul 2019, 17:13 • #241 
Sport
Joined: 12/31/18
Posts: 54
Location: US-WA
Pablo wrote:
I read the description though and it does sound very tempting... this 2 wt. seems to be made for what I described. Have you or anyone fished it? How did you like it?

I've cast it but not fished it. Very light touch required, a little flick, and it throws nice loops.

My buddy purchased it and has fished it. From what I've heard so far, he loves it... so long as he's got a single fly on and it's not too windy. :)


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 06 Jul 2019, 07:06 • #242 
New Member
Joined: 07/03/19
Posts: 7
WNCtroutstalker, Aurelio, johan851 – thanks for your feedback guys, lots of useful info. I checked out C. Barclay rods and not only 64p, but also Blue Ridge Special and Driftless Special seem to be very interesting sticks. I am also tempted to try out some 2 wt. I guess I will ask one of my buddies to lend me just any 2 wt. rod to try fishing with such a light line weight. Based on this experience I will either rule out the FS 622-4 or go all in. It seems, from what I read, that FS 622-4 could be the thing I am looking for.

In the meantime, though, has anyone fished the FS 723-5? Any reviews on its performance, how far does it bend and how well does it cast?


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 06 Jul 2019, 08:32 • #243 
Guide
Joined: 05/15/17
Posts: 318
Location: US-PA
Pablo, check out: https://tellurideangler.com/fly-fishing ... -fly-rods/ for great reviews. They're also great on the phone, too.


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 06 Jul 2019, 09:43 • #244 
Glass Fanatic
Joined: 11/24/14
Posts: 1892
Location: US-NC
Pablo wrote:
I checked out C. Barclay rods and not only 64p, but also Blue Ridge Special and Driftless Special seem to be very interesting sticks. I am also tempted to try out some 2 wt. Based on this experience I will either rule out the FS 622-4 or go all in. In the meantime, though, has anyone fished the FS 723-5? Any reviews on its performance, how far does it bend and how well does it cast?

Pablo,

As I had posted earlier in this thread (a few pages up), the 723-5 is the only rod in the new F series that I haven't cast - so I can't help you there unfortunately. But as for the 622, I thought it was the most full flexing of all of the new Fs that I tried. To me its sweet spot was in the 12-20' range (it was so soft/slow I bet it would load for even shorter casts but I don't recall trying casts with just the leader - the test leader was around 7' I think and so I probably always had at least 5' of line out), I felt like I was really pushing it to get it to 30' and then my accuracy was off. You mentioned that you often encounter wind and so I guess I'd be a bit wary of going with a 2 wt, and so I think your idea to test another 2 wt to see how the line behaves in the wind is a good idea before taking the plunge. But since you still like and apparently intend to keep you F2 774, I can see where the idea of this new rod being something "more different" is appealing. DavidFin's idea to inquire of the TA staff also is a good one.

As for the Barclay rods, I've cast both the BRS and DS. Both are terrific - all of Chris's rods are. My recollection is that the DS is more full flexing and that I thought it would be especially good for dries. Since you're considering the Scott 622, you also might consider Chris's Gila Special 2 wt (I have not cast that model). I would encourage you to reach out to Chris for more info. No one knows his rods better than he does. Barclay rods are truly special -- the build quality is exceptional and they cast and fish great. I doubt you'd be disappointed if you went that route. Good luck to you.


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 06 Jul 2019, 13:05 • #245 
New Member
Joined: 07/03/19
Posts: 7
DavidFin, WNCtroutstalker - thanks for your feedback!

Quote:
But since you still like and apparently intend to keep you F2 774, I can see where the idea of this new rod being something "more different" is appealing.


I love it. The problem is, contrary to how it is/was usually advertised, it is not really a small stream rod, at least to my taste. It is a perfect dry-fly-only rod that I use for medium streams where fish range from 10 to 16 inches. It will handle bigger fish, too. It is really a fun rod to fish with, especially if you combine it with Wulff's TT. However, I am certain there are better rods for the streams where the 12 inch trout is considered a trophy fish.

Quote:
My recollection is that the DS is more full flexing and that I thought it would be especially good for dries.


Great info! Thanks for sharing. I will definitely reach out to Chris once I test a 2 wt. rod.

Quote:
the 723-5 is the only rod in the new F series that I haven't cast - so I can't help you there unfortunately.


Thanks for your feedback. If anyone on the forum has fished this rod, please share your experiences.


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 06 Jul 2019, 18:54 • #246 
Master Guide
Joined: 08/15/10
Posts: 522
Location: Elizabethtown & Germania, PA
Pablo, I have the Barclay brown glass 7'2" three weight, Synthesis 68 and 66. All are ideal for what you want to do. If there is no wind the 66 is great fun. If I need to fish a three, I prefer short rods so the 68 usually gets the nod over the 7'2" unless the stream is a bit bigger. There's a 7'2" for sale in the classifieds right now at a good price.


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 07 Jul 2019, 19:31 • #247 
Glass Fanatic
Joined: 07/22/11
Posts: 1608
Location: US-TX
aurelio corso wrote:
Ed gave you some good advice the 64p is softer than the F2 or F........Aurelio
Or maybe one of those multiple piece Axsio Japan Rods.
The axisco is very nice if multi piece (10 pc 3wt although I use a 5qt line) is okay. It can do what you are looking for and then some. Photos from a couple days ago from a small creek in Texas.

ImageImageImage


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 08 Jul 2019, 05:18 • #248 
New Member
Joined: 07/03/19
Posts: 7
Thank you guys, lots of useful info!


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 10 Jul 2019, 12:03 • #249 
Sport
Joined: 06/24/19
Posts: 28
Location: US-CA
Nice review, thanks!...great observation about performance differences lawn casting vs fishing. In my experience, also dependent on fly types (wet/dry), and the individual's home waters...(high alpine vs eastern wooded vs midwestern pasture, etc.).


Top
  
Quote
Re: Scott F Series
Post 11 Jul 2019, 23:44 • #250 
New Member
Joined: 04/24/18
Posts: 16
Location: Pennsylvania
Really considering one of the 3 weights from this lineup. Having a 6'6" 2 weight and plenty of 4 weights in the 8' range, I want to find 3 weight to compliment them for small usually overgrown water. Would the F583 be the right rod to fit in the quiver? Seems like the most intriguing.


Top
  
Quote
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next New Topic Add Reply



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group