Re: Scott F Series
Post 17 Jan 2019, 19:42 • #176 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds great .......Aurelio

Post 02 Feb 2019, 10:55 • #177 
Glass Fanatic
nativetrout wrote:
this has been a pretty empty thread.....LOL. Id love to know more about these as they are one of the more attractive glass rods Scott ever made IMHO. i literally read through 5 pages and got very little actual info on one of these that someone has handled.

I recently had the opportunity to cast four of the new F series models, all but the 723-5. I've listed my thoughts below. There's been lots of comments above about the color, cork quality, finish and seats and so my focus is on how the rods cast. I'd also note that if you scroll up a few pages that DavidFin reviewed the 662-4 and 663-4, Aurelio posted comments on the 583-4 and 663-4 and a number of people have discussed the 724-4.

Disclaimer/Limitations: I cast each rod with a SA Mastery Trout in the corresponding line weight with a small yarn ball as the fly. I did not cast any of the rods side by side and because of lines at the casting pool there were sometimes gaps, though not long, between turning one rod back in and being able to cast the next. With a couple of the rods because people were waiting for the pool to open my test session was very short but I made more casts with some others as no one was waiting. But regardless, my time spent with each rod was brief. The rods are listed in the order that I cast them. With all that said...

622-4: I've only cast one other 2 wt in my life and so I don't have much to compare it to, but I liked this rod a lot. It felt nice in the hand, had a soft/slow action and made a delicate presentation. To me the sweet spot was in the 12-20' range. I could hit the first casting hoop which I'm guessing was at about 30', but my accuracy suffered--not wildly off the mark, but not as good as at the shorter distances. I'm not sure how this rod would handle anything more than a single dry, but I think it would be great for that--subject to the wind of course, but that's true with any 2 wt.

583-4: When I first read about the new F series, I kind of laughed when I saw Scott decided to make the 583. I fish a lot of tight waters, but 5'8" just seems almost ridiculously short. I then read how much Aurelio likes his, but I was still skeptical. But after casting it....what a sweet little rod! Despite the very short length, it felt like a normal rod. I can't believe how well it roll cast for being such a short rod. And though it does great at short distances, it's also a little rocket launcher (for a 3 wt). I loved it at 30-35.' A total winner.

663-4: I have a hard time saying why, but this rod didn't wow me. I was surprised because I know most people consider a 6'6" 3 wt to be the sweetheart of Scott's glass offerings, certainly it was widely considered the gem of the F2 series. While the rod is by no means heavy, it did feel noticeably heavier than the 583 which I had just cast (not surprising given the seat hardware and the 10" difference in the length), and maybe that had something to do with my reaction. Though as I said the rod is not heavy and after a couple of casts I forgot how light the 583 was and the 663 felt fine/normal. I certainly don't think it's a bad rod and as mentioned above I have a hard time pinpointing the specific reasons for my reaction, but when I was returning both the 662 and the 583 to the display rack I was thinking whether I could justify paying so much for the rod (each being such a short, specialty stick) and with the 663 I was just thinking about the next rod.

724-4: I had previously cast the 724 a couple of times and even fished it for about an hour maybe a month ago. So I made just a few casts with it the other day so I could compare it to the others. I continue to really like the rod. I don't know that any 7'2" rod can qualify as an "all around" rod, but I do consider it a terrific "all around small water rod." I've cast it with dries and a dry dropper and based on how it handled the dry-dropper I think it would do fine with small/light streamers.

If I Could Have Just One Rod in Series: I'm going to hedge here and also remember I have not cast the 723 and that with the exception of the 724 I only spent a couple of minutes with each rod. My hedging has to do with what I'd be looking for the rod to do. For an all-around rod, I'd go with the 724. I generally like to fish the longest rod the conditions allow (better line management, better reach if rock hopping and dapping). I fish a lot of tight streams and rarely find a 7'2" rod to be too long. The 4 wt is IMO the most versatile rod, will do the best in the wind and even a 5" trout will put a decent bend in it. If I was looking for a small stream rod for dries and wasn't worried about wind, I think the 622-4 would be terrific. But if I wanted a short/small stream rod that had more power (so longer casts and/or larger flies) but was still nice in close I'd go with the 583-4. For me, the call between the 724 and the 663 is much easier than the call between the 622 and the 583.

Of course, YMMV....

Post 02 Feb 2019, 11:17 • #178 
Inactive
I wound up picking up the 4wt to use as an all rounder with a WF line. I could wax poetically about it, lace a review full of metaphor.... but all I can say is that I'm worried this rod will make me lose interest in all my other 4wts, which is my favorite rod wt.

Post 02 Feb 2019, 16:38 • #179 
Glass Fanatic
Great review Ed and that little 5' 8" will handle a 2wt. Line also and size 14 dry dropper combos are no problem........Aurelio

Last edited by aurelio corso on 03 Feb 2019, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post 02 Feb 2019, 17:52 • #180 
I haven’t even fished the 724 yet, and now after reading more, I’m really interested in tthe 5’8” 3wt...

Post 05 Feb 2019, 07:42 • #181 
Sport
I have them both. I have only cast both but will be fishing them shortly.

Post 05 Feb 2019, 07:56 • #182 
Yeah, I've only casted the 724, but I'm thinking that 583 will have it's place on tiny brookie streams and will be a good addition to the quiver, eventually.

Post 14 Feb 2019, 11:18 • #183 
Glass Fanatic
Anyone fish the 5pc. 3wt. yet?.........Aurelio

Post 24 Feb 2019, 02:44 • #184 
Sport
The 406 Vintage taper in Wf4F was bang on perfect for the 724-4. Match made in heaven casting in the park, I will report back on the fishing combiantion after a few weeks. I rarely fish fresh sadly but have a trip in the next week with some mates.

Put the smaller line on the Islander IR3LA, balances the 724 very nicely.

Post 07 Mar 2019, 18:34 • #185 
Guide
You guys are killing me. Aurelio put me on the F2 653/3 years ago (probably the best small steam rod I’ve fished), now I’ve been seduced by the FS 583....

Post 08 Mar 2019, 08:18 • #186 
Glass Fanatic
JB,the 5'8"Scott F Series will handle the same size flies and nymphs as your F2 653 and fish as big,the only advantage of the F2 is I feel a little more confident in fighting bigger fish due to the little stronger butt.I believe that's why Ed was not to impressed with the new F 653 after casting the 5'8".Nice to see you post it's been a while............
Aurelio

Post 09 Mar 2019, 13:02 • #187 
Guide
Aurelio I’ve been busy dealing with other things the past few years and am just getting some spare time. I have not picked up a fly rod in at least two years, which is certainly not the norm for me.

I was curious as to how the tips looked on the new F series, I’m interested in the 583 as a brook trout rod, but am hesitant due to prior issues with deep sanding marks that compromised the tip on my F2 653. I had to send my first one back for replacement.

Post 09 Mar 2019, 14:51 • #188 
Master Guide
I just couldn’t resist adding another Scott rod to the quiver!
So the little 5’ 8” 3 wt. had to join the family.. Now I need to decide on the one that stays in the quiver..
Rod

Post 09 Mar 2019, 16:30 • #189 
Glass Fanatic
Way to go Rod! I'm really interested to hear your thoughts after you've had a chance to use it. As I said further up in this thread, though my casting time with the 583 was brief I really loved it--I quickly went from "a rod this short is just ridiculous" to "hmmm, I may want to get one of these." I really liked most of the line-up that I cast and I continue to think that the 724 is the most versatile, but the 583 was my favorite given how it cast coupled with the fun factor.

A great addition!

Post 09 Mar 2019, 16:54 • #190 
Inactive
I've cast 3 of them so far and fished 2. This may be the most consistent series from a major company ever, at least in my experience. I don't think there's a dud in the lineup, though I don't know much about the 5 piece.

Post 09 Mar 2019, 22:52 • #191 
Glass Fanatic
JB,they stiffened the tip ever so slightly and the blanks are unsanded and very good looking but I like the handle on the f2 653 better.If you do need a really short rod the 5' 8" is amazing once you get a little line out and handle the same size flies and nymph's and cast as far and into a little wind like your F2.....Aurelio

Post 11 Mar 2019, 00:32 • #192 
Sport
Fished the 406 WF4F Vintage Taper on the F724/4 - talk about a match made in Heaven. Better than the SA Amplitude Infinity Smooth Trout.

Deadly accurate combo and throws very smoothly quite a long distance.

Post 11 Mar 2019, 08:42 • #193 
Master Guide
Still wish they would sell these as blanks. Would be fun to build one up without the mops they use for finish application.

Post 11 Mar 2019, 12:05 • #194 
Glass Fanatic
Marty Romeo wrote:
Still wish they would sell these as blanks. Would be fun to build one up without the mops they use for finish application.

[LIKE]

Post 13 Mar 2019, 11:43 • #195 
I had Scott replace the handle on my 724 with the F2-style slide band configuration. What a good-looking and fun fishing tool.

It's mostly an aesthetic preference, but if you have one of the new FS rods don't be afraid to ask Scott to change the grip for you. Reasonable turnaround time and price.

Post 13 Mar 2019, 12:42 • #196 
Inactive
You mean a custom order from scratch, right? I just called Scott, they said $100 (not including shipping) to swap out the seat and handle, but they wouldn't guarantee the butt section wouldn't be crushed in the process and that would cost the buyer extra if it happens. All in all doesn't sound worth it unless you start new. On the 653 it's a shame, but I don't mind it on the 724.

Post 13 Mar 2019, 15:00 • #197 
I sent my "original" 724 that bought new w/ warranty back to Scott, who made that change as "customization" order, not a warranty repair. I was under the impression that they were building a new butt section with the new grip, but I could be wrong.

Post 13 Mar 2019, 15:28 • #198 
Glass Fanatic
Cap and ring makes a lot more sense to me especially at this length. I wonder if the preponderance of uplocking seats isn't just a self perpetuating habit for a great number of rod buyers.

Post 13 Mar 2019, 15:39 • #199 
Inactive
JDarling, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Post 13 Mar 2019, 15:50 • #200 
Sport
Maybe I missed it in the first 7 pages of this thread but is anyone else scratching their head as to why Scott made these all 4 piece rods? I can appreciate the packability argument, but have also hiked multiple miles with 3-piece sub 7 ft rods and have not encountered an instance where a rod case a 3-4 inches shorter would have provided any measurable benefit. If I'm interpreting the reviews correctly it appears that the new rods don't load in close as well as the previous models, and I can't help but wonder if that is result of the extra ferrule. If true that is disappointing as I choose my small stream 3wts for their ability to accurately present a fly at short distance with only a few feet of line out the tip of the rod. Was looking forward to the 2wt...

Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next New Topic Add Reply