It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:52

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Scott F Series
Post 15 Jul 2018, 16:18 • #51 
Sport
IMHO, owning a FF663 and having owned a F703, the FF 663 is a fine rod and suites my taste just fine. Buying every new model is good for Scott’s bussiness and I’ve liked Scott products since the ‘60s. However, as I wrote, I’m content.

Post 17 Jul 2018, 14:47 • #52 
Glass Fanatic
https://youtu.be/1OdFSlc3eMY

Hmm.... Jim doesn’t sound as clear & determined as he usually does?

Post 17 Jul 2018, 21:12 • #53 
Glass Fanatic
Duff wrote:
...To most folks a cap and band might seem like an economy move.

IMO, people aren't thinking Scott's using cap/ring for cost some reason. I'm thinking a lot of people are uncomfortable with a cap/ring. They're programed to want the up locker with a reversed half wells. ALSO, has anyone asked Scott if they'd be willing to build a longer one with the cap/ring seat? I know T &T is willing to provide that service. I'm figuring you could get one of those 7'2" rods with the cap/ring seat Duff. Just gotta ask.

Post 17 Jul 2018, 23:42 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
Cap and ring with a cork insert is my favorite, even on 6 and 7wt rods. Simple and functional.

Post 18 Jul 2018, 11:34 • #55 
Guide
Well I am placing an order for the 5 piece today. I will let you know how it goes once I get the rod in. I hear those comments about carrying a 6wt to mountain lakes (which I often do), but I am thinking dry fly only and fishing inlets/shore lines, etc. where I am not making hero casts. Plus, I have a lot of small creek stuff around where I live to hit too. Anyways, I am very excited to fish this rod and compare to my F 754 and F2 703.

Post 19 Jul 2018, 08:17 • #56 
Guide
Looking forward to your thoughts.

Post 19 Jul 2018, 09:41 • #57 
Glass Fanatic
Really??
They must be kidding!

Post 19 Jul 2018, 11:22 • #58 
Guide
I just called Scott and if I want the cap and ring grip vs the up locking it is an additional 150 for the customization... not sure if it is worth it?

My g2 4wt has the uplocking reel seat and I like it, but I am with you guys on the shorter rod and the cap and ring... so conflicted lol

Post 19 Jul 2018, 13:36 • #59 
Inactive
$150 sounds steep for a change like that, no?

Until some consumer reviews come out it sounds like the changes in this new line were motivated to sell rods, not necessarily improve them. I'm also still confused about the press release insinuating that the F2 was a faster glass rod that they're rifting from to get back to basics.

Post 19 Jul 2018, 15:16 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
$150, the message is "hell no we don't want to do custom anything". I watched the video and just sounds like marketing bs/spin to generate rod sales, and not develop a better rod. Faster certainly does not necessarily mean bad, just like slower does not necessarily mean better. Me thinks Scott is confusing itself.

Post 19 Jul 2018, 16:10 • #61 
Glass Fanatic
That's what I love about the F2 653 has somewhat of a strong butt to land bigger fish but feels good with small ones too.If the new ones are slower I rather buy a Lammy and save the bucks......aurelio

Post 19 Jul 2018, 18:49 • #62 
Glass Fanatic
I'm surprised by Scott's response. T&T will let you choose your grip for free. The Lotic is $105 cheaper too. I'm with Aurelio. For $700 it better be perfect for you. Otherwise, save the money. Get something really good and a lot cheaper.

Post 24 Jul 2018, 05:17 • #63 
Glass Fanatic
The 663 F2 was the pick of the litter with the others in the line up really not all that exceptional. I hope that the tapers in the new series prove to be great fishing tools, but they couldn’t have made poorer choices cosmetically.

Post 28 Jul 2018, 12:16 • #64 
Guide
A video is now out. Check out that bend at 0:48.

Post 28 Jul 2018, 13:36 • #65 
Glass Fanatic
Good to see that, thanks! The rod being demonstrated is very flexible. Like others, I just wish that Scott would sell blanks.

Post 28 Jul 2018, 18:59 • #66 
Glass Fanatic
Tomah wrote:
Good to see that, thanks! The rod being demonstrated is very flexible. Like others, I just wish that Scott would sell blanks.

Didn't they used to sell just blanks? I wonder why they stopped.

Post 28 Jul 2018, 21:09 • #67 
Glass Fanatic
I had a new F series in my hands today at a small vendor fair in Ketchum, Idaho. Well, they sure are ORANGE, and not in a good way. Pretty inferior cork too. I did not cast any of them but was not at all impressed with them visually.

FWIW, I went next to the Winston booth and the grips were the same poor quality thin rings with fills and “whitewash” but were actually rough to the touch - same quality cork as Scott but really indifferent sanding. Hard to believe these Winstons cost $850 and more. It’s funny because I went inside the fly shop that was hosting the companies and they had some glass Buttersticks. I was surprised to see the cork as well as the reel seats on them were, in my opinion, vastly superior to the Scotts and Winstons ... and at almost 1/3 the cost.

Post 28 Jul 2018, 23:18 • #68 
Glass Fanatic
That is really strange about the cork DUff. Did you talk to anyone and mention the apparent lack of quality in the cork on such high end rods?

Post 29 Jul 2018, 00:07 • #69 
Glass Fanatic
GE, yes, I talked to the reps about the cork and they just said that quality cork is difficult to source. Both Winston and Scott reps agreed that they could be better and the Winston guy said the rough grips must have skipped quality control. Well for as much money as they are charging the grips should be built with the highest quality rings and sanded perfectly smooth. Winston used to make a big deal about pounding on the highest quality flor grade individual cork rings and then shaping and sanding them. Earlier Winston grips were beautiful, none better really. They are a joke today.

I realize we here on the FFR are spoiled by the builders that frequent this forum. They would never put out a rod with grips like I saw today ... and they don’t charge an arm and a leg. I have seen a constant downward quality spiral in commercial rods over the last fifteen to twenty years. Things they said they would never do ... they are doing, all seeming to squeeze out the last drop of profit. Sorry about the rant.

Post 29 Jul 2018, 01:00 • #70 
Guide
Concerning the discontinued availability of blanks, a Scott rep at the Denver FF show a few years ago told me they quit making them available because of warranty concerns. My impression after the discussion was they feel no one can build one of their blanks correctly, thus voiding any warranty.

Post 29 Jul 2018, 05:28 • #71 
Glass Fanatic
Too often modern glass tapers are unnecessarily slow. I think it is a marketing prejudice. There is definitely room for faster tapers.

Post 29 Jul 2018, 09:34 • #72 
Glass Fanatic
Maybe just trying keep the myth alive? :D

giogio wrote:
Too often modern glass tapers are unnecessarily slow. I think it is a marketing prejudice. There is definitely room for faster tapers.

Post 29 Jul 2018, 09:58 • #73 
Master Guide
Scott and Winston have been using poor quality cork on their rods for years. I bought a 9’ 5 wt G2 and Winston boron ll 5 wt. when they were first released and was shocked how bad the cork was for a $700.00. It’s insane his much a factory rod costs today and the finish on most of these rods is very average.

The cork on the Orvis SFG Rods is guite good for a factory rod. Where are they getting their cork rings from. Futher a friend called me the other day to meet him to cast his new Blue Halo 8’ faster action 5 wt. I was was impressed with the overall built quality of the rod and how it cast. The cork on it was of high quality and this is a $300 rod as the Orvis rods are $400. So I guess paying more doesnt always mean one is getting the best

Post 29 Jul 2018, 10:02 • #74 
Glass Fanatic
ibookje wrote:
Maybe just trying keep the myth alive? :D

giogio wrote:

I think you are exactly right.That myth should nave died when Steffen introduced his 5/6 models. FWIW, I think Mark was convinced by members of this board that there was a market for a medium weight glass rod. Before then he made glass rods only in 2,3 and 4 weights. The success of that series and McFarland's Spruce Creeks really changed the way anglers and rod makers thought about glass as a material for more versatile fly rods.

Post 29 Jul 2018, 13:58 • #75 
Glass Fanatic
This is inexcusable.
Why always mention, both in writings as well as on videos, about using the best quality Portugese (they always mention this too) cork as well as shaping the grip by hand (you always see a footage with a grip on a lathe while being sanded) while all they have been using the past 15-20(?) years were just preformed grips from (Chinese?) suppliers... :(

This is basically plain lying?

Little kern golden wrote:
Scott and Winston have been using poor quality cork on their rods for years. I bought a 9’ 5 wt G2 and Winston boron ll 5 wt. when they were first released and was shocked how bad the cork was for a $700.00. It’s insane his much a factory rod costs today and the finish on most of these rods is very average.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next New Topic Add Reply