It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:21

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Echo BAG Rod
Post 25 Jan 2017, 09:36 • #26 
Sport
With the painted, spey/switch blanks I can see them adding in carbon, but is that possible with the translucent fiberglass blanks, like the Bad Ass Glass?

I have an 8wt BAG and it is exactly what I expected. I think it's a great rod. I honestly can't tell the difference between a few ounces here are there in rod weight...so much of it is how it feels in hand. I've cast it with several different lines and they all work well, albeit they all load the rod differently.

I have an 8'6" 8wt FY 200 Wonderglass, which I love, as well as a FF909. I haven't cast them all side by side yet, but I plan on getting out and casting this weekend and I will post a comparison report.

Post 25 Jan 2017, 10:18 • #27 
Inactive
mysticfisher wrote:
With the painted, spey/switch blanks I can see them adding in carbon, but is that possible with the translucent fiberglass blanks, like the Bad Ass Glass?

I have an 8wt BAG and it is exactly what I expected. I think it's a great rod. I honestly can't tell the difference between a few ounces here are there in rod weight...so much of it is how it feels in hand. I've cast it with several different lines and they all work well, albeit they all load the rod differently.

I have an 8'6" 8wt FY 200 Wonderglass, which I love, as well as a FF909. I haven't cast them all side by side yet, but I plan on getting out and casting this weekend and I will post a comparison report.

hey mysticfisher, may I ask what reel you are using with the BAG 8wt?

Post 25 Jan 2017, 11:23 • #28 
Sport
Lamson Speedster--at least that's the one that I'm using right now as I prepare for a trip to Belize. I wanted a high retrieval reel for flats fishing.

dpenrod wrote:
mysticfisher wrote:

hey mysticfisher, may I ask what reel you are using with the BAG 8wt?

ImageImage

Post 05 Feb 2017, 16:21 • #29 
Administrator
I took the nine weight to Belize and though I haven't cast them side by side, the Epic 990 and BAG nine weight felt a lot a like to me. I need to pull them both out to compare.

This fly rod has a good feel to it and I like the action of it. Might like it better if it was a foot shorter but maybe that's because I've been using the 7'9" Epic Bandit so much.

Post 13 Feb 2017, 22:34 • #30 
Master Guide
Well it's certainly a handsome rod in your picture, Cameron. Thanks!

Post 22 Feb 2017, 17:38 • #31 
I have the 9wt BAG and have it lined with Rio Intouch Pike/Musky 9wt. I love the way this rod feels in hand.

Post 04 Apr 2017, 12:49 • #32 
Master Guide
I spent considerable time casting the BAG 9wt this weekend at the fly shop. It was paired with an Airflo tropical 9. The short I believe. It's an interesting rod for sure. As far as accuracy it was really nice from 25 to 75'. We set up casting targets for competitions so I am confident about the distance. Like many glass rods, if you let it do the work it will reward you. It tracked well, handled the constant 10-20 mph gusts we had all day and recovered quite reasonably well.

The bad... It's a club. No two ways about this or around it. It is really tip heavy at 9' We had an 8 oz. reel on it and if you wanted to balance it on you finger you were about 8" from the cork/winding check. The rod will benefit from a down locking reel seat and a reel weighing about 10 oz.

At $275.00 it is certainly interesting. I don't think I'm manly enough to fish this rod all day. I'm saving up for the Scott Meridian.

Post 02 May 2017, 10:42 • #33 
Guide
My new whip :evil
Picked up the 12 wt for the Spinner Sharks that never showed up this year. Hope to see front-line action with the 'Poons now and huge frog flies for Bullseye Snakehead.

Post 03 May 2017, 00:49 • #34 
Master Guide
Are those Behemoths? What do you think of them?

Nice rig, for sure.

Post 03 May 2017, 16:22 • #35 
Guide
I like 'em. I've seen guys on the internet spool them with 14 wt lines and target Makos. Not too heavy either.
All the tackle including lines set me back only $650. Not bad for a prime big game rig.

Post 03 May 2017, 19:46 • #36 
Master Guide
Not bad at all. Thanks.

Post 18 Jun 2017, 14:36 • #37 
Master Guide
Couldn't talk myself out of the 10wt. Will be arriving this week--hopefully before Thursday when I plan to get out again.

Post 30 Jun 2017, 00:44 • #38 
Master Guide
Had the BAG 10wt out from 11am to 9pm today, lined with Rio Pike/Muskie 10wt intermediate tip (400 grains).

I think this is a great rod.

Swing weight was more than manageable even though the rig wasn't anywhere near balanced. I like the length. I was fishing for tiger muskie and didn't need to break out any truly massive flies (read: articulated monstrosities/truly huge streamers, etc.) but I was casting 7-8" foamhead divers all day effortlessly to 60' (all that is really needed where I fish for tiger muskie) in 20-25 mph wind that constantly changed directions. And yes, I did measure. :) I didn't try to push it distance-wise because I didn't need to and probably won't need to in the near future. That said, in the right hands this thing could be a true cannon.

Effortless is really the way I'd describe casting this rod. If I let the rod do its thing the line just shot out, regardless of the direction of the wind. When I lost focus and reverted to muscle-ing it the rod gasped at my presumption and I ended up with a shoddy cast. I bring this point up because one of my other muskie sticks, a TFO TiCr X 10wt almost encourages bad form in windy conditions in my hand, anyways. I like the TFO a lot but it actually responds fairly well to forcing a cast and I tend to develop bad habits (that somehow work well enough) when I use it for awhile.

Arm/shoulder fatigue: NONE. Like I said, I fished from 11-9 and took a handful of 10 minute breaks. I feel great. If it stayed light out longer I'd still be at the lake fishing. I like the TFO and my other graphite muskie rods a lot but I can't say that at the end of a long day of fishing them.

Final thoughts: the price is right and the length and weight are (surprisingly) right (in my hands, at least). I am not a great caster by any means (as many of you are!) but I had a blast casting this rod. It did everything I wanted it to. The TFO is now a backup.

The fish: well, I didn't land any! I hooked into two in the 35" range and lost them both. I honestly don't know how the one managed to shake the hook. The other bit through my 60lb mono bite tippet literally when I was about to land it. Next time. :)

Post 18 Jul 2017, 23:15 • #39 
Sport
Was cruising on Instagram and explored the #glassisnotdead and found one post about a new BAG rod

https://www.demystifly.com/single-post/ ... ly-Fishing

Going to be an 8' model with weights from 6-10, and lighter in hand according the reviewer. I wanted to try this rod in an 8wt, but being 9' in length detered me, I like shorter rods ( if Barclay keeps making 7' 4wts, I'm going to be in trouble).

Post 19 Jul 2017, 08:14 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Whoa, now we're talking!

Post 19 Jul 2017, 10:18 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
Apparently Rajeff has been listening to us! This is welcome news. Could the 8' 10wt be a bandit killer??

Post 19 Jul 2017, 11:45 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
horsehead wrote:
Apparently Rajeff has been listening to us! This is welcome news. Could the 8' 10wt be a bandit killer??

The only Bandit killer is going to be the price of the Bandit....

Post 19 Jul 2017, 12:08 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
brockton wrote:
horsehead wrote:

The only Bandit killer is going to be the price of the Bandit....

Yep, that!

Post 19 Jul 2017, 15:50 • #44 
Guide
I'm certainly very interested, might have to buy one of these in a 10wt.

Post 20 Jul 2017, 05:56 • #45 
Sport
Great news! I am specially exited about the 6 and 7 wt. models. I think they will perfect for coastal trout fishing where i live (and for streamer fishing in general).
I use the Fenwick 806 and 807 a lot, but it will be Nice to have a modern choice ( with saltwater fittings) at a much lower price than the Epic's.

Post 20 Jul 2017, 12:00 • #46 
Administrator
YES. I am very excited about these new additions to the Bad Ass Glass line up. After messing around with the nine foot model last summer on the trip to Belize, my suggestion to Tim Rajeff was to consider one or several models at eight foot in length.

I'm sure that I wasn't the only one who was saying it and stoked to see the soon to be released six through ten weight models.

Bandit killer? It'll sure give everyone options in more line weights and at a price point that won't hurt that much either.

Post 20 Jul 2017, 16:13 • #47 
Sport
Does anyone know when the new 8' rods will be available?

Post 20 Jul 2017, 16:19 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
According to the article, October

Post 26 Oct 2017, 03:12 • #49 
Guide
Who using BAG, how good it is with integrated shooting heads, ex. RIO Outbound Short? thinking of dedicated "pike streamer" or "hucho hucho" rod in 8-9 wt range

Post 26 Oct 2017, 21:00 • #50 
Sport
If anyone gets their hands on of the 8' quickshot models, is love to hear it! Coming out November 1according to the website.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply