It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:08

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Echo BAG Rod
Post 23 Feb 2019, 10:58 • #76 
Master Guide
I’ve cast my 9 weight Quickshot with SA Titan taper, both in 9 and 8 weight. The rod casts both lines well, but I like the 9 weight line a little better with it. I think for the type of fishing I do, both for bass and in the Texas saltwater, a relatively short head, aggressive type of head works best.

Lines do make a difference. I got a Wulff TT in an 8 weight and the 7/8 weight CGR does not like that line at all. But I have a 7/8 weight graphite rod that likes the Wulff line.

Post 13 Apr 2019, 08:10 • #77 
Glass Fanatic
clarkman23 wrote:
I've been thinking about one of those newer BAG's, but it always comes back to not having a hole in my lineup that needs filling (not that it's ever stopped me before)....prolly end up with the 7wt for trout streamers at some point...

Hate quote myself....but here we are several months later and the 7wt did indeed make it into my quiver primarily for trout streamers! I can't wait to get it out on the water.

Post 26 Jun 2019, 10:10 • #78 
Glass Fanatic
As though I really need another 6wt... I picked up a 6wt BAG a few weeks ago.

I read somewhere that half weight heavy lines worked well on this rod. So far that seems to be the case -- the SA Amplitude MPX and Airflo XCeed WF6F lines have cast nicely for me, at least at the casting pool. It does seem to cast farther than any glass 6wt I own. Not to sound shallow, but I was "like, wow" :lol

I took it out in the packraft last weekend on a small lake in the northern Sierra and it did pretty well, but apparently nobody was catching anything unless they were going really deep, which I hadn't counted on.

Probably overkill for most of the fishing I do :)

Post 26 Jun 2019, 20:45 • #79 
Glass Fanatic
yeah, in the short time I had with my 7wt, I discovered (or confirmed what many here who have used it) that it was quite the powerful rod....yet was still corked on even little 13"+ Bull Trout.

Post 02 Jul 2019, 21:08 • #80 
Sport
It’s crazy seeing this thread back up after starting it almost 3 years ago. Update to original post, I now own two BAG rods. I’ve owned a 8wt in the original configuration for awhile and Ive has a 6wt quickshot for about a year. Both rods have performed well in both fresh and salt. I do love these rods but I have found their niche. The BAG rods sling streamers very well. Large articulated meat is no problem for the 8wt. However smaller flies and delicate presentation are not their forte. Some of this may be due to my casting but I doubt it. My SA System 8 is a rocket but it will also drop a Chernobyl ant on a dinner plate. The BAG just won’t do that for me. I’ve bent both of my rods tip to butt on multiple occasions. I can say that I’d wouldn’t feel good about that with my vintage rods.

Post 25 Sep 2019, 08:50 • #81 
Guide
Last week I was invited on a float by an old friend Russ Maddin & his sidekick Captain Chewy (Jon S.) in Northern MI. Amongst the sticks on board were the BAG QuickShot in 8-10 wt iterations. The program was to float the big river (no anchoring!) and chuck big articulated streamers for whoever wanted to play. If you follow Russ on IG you know what type of flies I'm speaking of.
The QuickShots were equipped with 250 or 350 grain sinktips and 3Tand 70 series reels. I really liked them, it was challenging bc I have not fished a river like that in forever and the fish were scarce, but the BAG were more than capable. I even got to fish
a big name prototype graphite rod but favored the glass. The fact that both guides were on a pleasure trip spoke of their confidence in Echo as well.
All in all a great time! Hope to get back sometime and meet the SandMan (King Salmon)!!!

Post 06 Oct 2019, 19:13 • #82 
Master Guide
I used my 6 weight Quickshot this morning in the Texas surf. It’s a really nice rod for that. I was tossing size 4 tungsten weighted borski sliders with ease. Probably going to be my go to rod for the surf. Light enough to be fun to cast and bendy enough to make smaller fish fun. I want to try it next out in the marsh for redfish.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply