It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:40

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Echo BAG Rod
Post 27 Oct 2017, 04:47 • #51 
Glass Fanatic
4.5 oz. for the 8' 6 weight is still too heavy, to me.

Post 29 Oct 2017, 11:29 • #52 
Master Guide
easternffer wrote:
Who using BAG, how good it is with integrated shooting heads, ex. RIO Outbound Short? thinking of dedicated "pike streamer" or "hucho hucho" rod in 8-9 wt range

I use the 10wt for tiger muskie. It is excellent with the lines you are interested in. I use the Rio Pike/Muskie 10wt line on mine and it's a really fun rod that I cast all day without issue. My post above has more info. I am speaking of the 9' model, not the new version.

Post 26 Sep 2018, 18:36 • #53 
I ordered the 9' 8wt BAG for bass fishing in lakes. Seemed to handle large poppers well but I didnt like it will a sink tip or full sink line. The 9' rod had an unfortunate incident with a clouser to the 3rd section of the blank and it snapped on the next cast. I sent it back to the fine folks at Echo and they sent me back the 8' 8wt quickshot. I was initially a little disappointed because I wanted a 9' rod but after casting it in the yard I was very impressed with it. I think the 8' model is leaps and bounds better than the 9'.

Post 27 Sep 2018, 06:45 • #54 
Master Guide
Unless you absolutely need a 9 wt and have no room for a second rod, I'd go for a 10 wt for the hucho huchos. They come BIG and like big flies too.

Heddonist

Post 27 Sep 2018, 08:24 • #55 
Glass Fanatic
Heddonist wrote:
Unless you absolutely need a 9 wt and have no room for a second rod, I'd go for a 10 wt for the hucho huchos. They come BIG and like big flies too.

Heddonist

yep, that. Every time you cast monster flies and catch monster fish on a 9, you'll be wishing you had gone with the 10.

Post 06 Oct 2018, 23:31 • #56 
Master Guide
skunked_ wrote:
easternffer wrote:
Who using BAG, how good it is with integrated shooting heads, ex. RIO Outbound Short? thinking of dedicated "pike streamer" or "hucho hucho" rod in 8-9 wt range

I use the 10wt for tiger muskie. It is excellent with the lines you are interested in. I use the Rio Pike/Muskie 10wt line on mine and it's a really fun rod that I cast all day without issue. My post above has more info. I am speaking of the 9' model, not the new version.

Thanks for the info! I just ordered a 10wt on ebay new closeout $129 free shipping. I needed a big singlehander for king indicator fishing and musky.

Post 07 Oct 2018, 13:53 • #57 
Master Guide
That's a great deal!

Post 27 Nov 2018, 10:48 • #58 
Guide
https://themissionflymag.com/2018/11/26 ... -the-horn/

Very neat article in this issue called "Shining Bright". The author basically reviews the 8'6" 8wt BAG Quickshooter while fishing for TigerFish in Kruger National Park! The Mission is always cutting edge.

Post 27 Nov 2018, 19:10 • #59 
Guide
Are they being made from S glass now?

Post 28 Nov 2018, 02:55 • #60 
Master Guide
fishfirst92 wrote:
I've been looking at getting the new Echo BAG in the 9' 8wt, but am a little fresh to glass rods. I fish an old Fenwick Feralite 5wt so I have experience with it, would you guys recommend I start with the Echo BAG to get used to heavy line glass rods or would you propose a different rod?

I agree with gearboy... the Fenwick Feralite FF85 or FF858 is a great place to get started with heavier 'glass rods.

The only thing better than the way they cast is the price! Fenwick sold a lot of FF85s and you can find them at bargain prices.

Tight lines,
Bob

Post 02 Dec 2018, 00:26 • #61 
Guide
It is WHAT it is....what do people expect for a rod under $300? you want it to be finished like a Russ Peak with super premium Flor grade cork and a hand machined rod tube cap? come on...... I own the original 9'er and the 8' quick shot and they are AWESOME. Heavy....sure, cast good....absolutely! Ive fished for BIG bull trout with my 8' quick shot this summer and it was so much fun. The rod was a cannon with a great feel. i was hucking BIG articulated meat and cranking on 24-28" fish every day. The rod is a workhorse. I love it. I fished my 9'er in the salt flats and crushed bones with it for hours. Shoulder hurt...YES....did I have fun? ridiculous. I love the look of these rods, I love the rod tubes which are the same blue glass as the rod, I love the action and the fact that ITS NOT overly well made. I beat the hell out of these rods and they fish great. to complain about swing weight when you are buying 9' 8-12 weight fiberglass rods is kinda absurd. What are you comparing them to guys? If theres other glass rods out there being made in these sizes, Id like to see the comparible weight charts. As far as compared to graphite, thats a stupid comparison, especially on a FIBERGLASS fan page. We don't fish these rods looking for optimal SWING WEIGHT. We need to give credit where its due when industry guys like the fellas at echo appreciate our fetish and try to make a rod thats different, budget friendly, and versatile. I don't see Scott or any other big company putting out large glass rods and if they did, they'd be $700+ bucks. There'd be no discussion cause TWO members of the board maybe only casts one at a fly fishing show. Can you tell Im a fan of these rods......

Post 02 Dec 2018, 05:58 • #62 
Master Guide
I liked my closeout special $129 9' 10wt so much i bought the $129 12wt 9'er.

Spent several hours with it casting off docks around my lake cabin last week and i think i like it more that the 10wt. It seems to throw tighter loops and possibly has a bit faster action. (this was with big pike/muskie flies).

For the money im very pleased. Didnt think much about fatigue.

Post 02 Dec 2018, 09:26 • #63 
Glass Fanatic
couldn't agree more with the comment above about not worrying about the actual weight of glass rods (too much)...Hell, my Bandit build is right at 5.5 oz and my 8'2" Seele 12wt comes in over 7 oz. It's beefy, but is fun as hell. That's why we fish glass, because they're fun as hell. At least that's why I fish glass.

I've been thinking about one of those newer BAG's, but it always comes back to not having a hole in my lineup that needs filling (not that it's ever stopped me before)....prolly end up with the 7wt for trout streamers at some point...

Post 08 Dec 2018, 19:47 • #64 
Master Guide
It’s a great rod. I griped about the rod not being an Epic grade rod but it’s built as something more affordable and it is of good quality and I really enjoyed fishing it this year.

Post 09 Dec 2018, 07:33 • #65 
Glass Fanatic
I've wondered a few times how fellows that fret over a fraction of an ounce on a rod/reel feel about 12-16 ounce beverages.

Post 04 Jan 2019, 04:26 • #66 
Master Guide
I got the 8’ 9 weight BAG Quickshot. Briefly cast the rod off my backyard dock. Initial impression is that it’s amazingly powerful and an easy and smooth rod to cast. Tried only one line, a nine weight SA Sharkwave Titan Taper spooled on my Nautilus X XL Max. Reel felt light for this rod, but the line seemed about right.

My previous heaviest glass rod was the 7/8 weight CGR. The 9 weight BAG Quickshot feels to be a massive upgrade from the CGR in available casting and fish fighting power. I plan on taking 9 weight fishing soon. I think it’s going to be too much rod and unnecessarily heavy for the 5 pound marsh redfish I typically run into. I more see the nine weight getting into action from the boat deck or kayak against the bigger adult redfish I find in the surf or passes or if I want to tangle with those abundant 15 and 20 pound jack creavelle that tend to roam the same areas. I discovered a temperamental spot or two with 30” snook holding in cover and this nine weight could be just the right tool for those. If the 3 and 4 feet Tarpon show up again in numbers locally like they did a few years ago, I’ll be ready.

It’s fun to have something like the BAG Quickshot to take on new adventures. Glass seems superior to carbon against fast, powerful and heavy fish that might easily destroy the more brittle graphite in one unfortunate moment. I just saw a photo of several 12 weights shattered by Tarpon. Not a one was glass.

Post 26 Jan 2019, 04:54 • #67 
Master Guide

Got out in the kayak with the 9 weight BAG Quickshot yesterday afternoon. According to the various NOAA gauges in the vicinity, the wind was between 10-15 knots during the time I was out fishing. The wind and waves kept me pinned in to a little pocket close to the launch that at least offered some protection from the waves if not the wind.

The Quickshot proved to handle the wind well. I used my Allen Atlas III at 6.35 ounces and a 9 weight SA freshwater Titan taper line. I’m not sure that reel is heavy enough to counterbalance the rod. I didn’t notice the weight issue casting as much as when I was stripping in the fly. My hand kept wanting to move up the rod handle to account for the heavy rod.

I think it’s hard to judge the rod on just one brief outing in windy conditions. The 9 weight Quickshot is a viable glass alternative to graphite for handling the wind, that I can say for sure. I’d like to try the Quickshot on a less windy day to get a better feel for the reel and line I was using. I might put on a Ross CLA the weighs 8.1 ounces and see what that does for the balance.

Post 11 Feb 2019, 22:02 • #68 
Master Guide
The Ross CLA 5 balances the rod better. The balance point is now at the top of the grip which is fine since I tend to cast with my hand way up the grip on this rod (probably because of how the rod balances and the natural heaviness of a 9 weight fiberglass rod). Now with this Ross reel, I’m not fighting the rod at the tip wanting to dip when I strip in the fly. I might be able to find a heavier reel than the 8.1 ounce Ross to shift the balance even more towards the reel seat, but at some point the total weight of it all enters into the fatigue factor. I dock cast a borski slider off the dock for a while and the rod is a very enjoyable and powerful rod to cast.

As long as a rod balances somewhere on the grip, it should be alright. Some rods/reel combinations I have balance on the handle close to the reel seat and that’s alright with me, too. Some rods I cast with my hand at the base of the grip, some the middle, some the tip, some I move around my hand, it’s really during the stripping in the fly that I notice the balance issues.

Post 14 Feb 2019, 21:04 • #69 
Master Guide

Fished the Quickshot 9 weight this afternoon. The rod is a fiberglass answer to graphite in the wind. Heavier than carbon, but plenty of power. Still bends like glass, which is nice when a fish dives under the kayak.

Post 15 Feb 2019, 03:30 • #70 
Master Guide
Awesome! Perfect situation for the rod.

Cheers,
Graeme

Post 19 Feb 2019, 21:59 • #71 
Sport
Chiming in late here but FWIW been using a BAG 8' 6-wt with a Cortland Compact 6/7 line for local snook around docks but catching more jacks and ladies. It's heavier than the Fenwick FF806 I was using, but it has more beef in the lower section and has done well pulling small snook of less than 28 inches from the dock lights. Most jacks have been midgets with a half dozen or so around 3 to 5 pounds that put a pretty good bend in the rod. Grip has a lot filler but for what it cost it seems like a decent rod of fairly good overall quality. Also been throwing small poppers in FW ponds in my kayak for largemouth bass. At first the color seemed "loud" and outlandish, but it grew on me so it looks "normal" now. Plan on getting an 8-weight soon.

Post 21 Feb 2019, 19:25 • #72 
Master Guide
I’d like to try a 7 weight Quickshot. I think the 6 weight might be a little light considering the wind we typically see and the flies I normally use. The 6 might be alright some days, probably nice to have both.

Post 21 Feb 2019, 22:26 • #73 
Glass Fanatic
you should probably just get the complete lineup....just to be on the safe side. ha!

Post 22 Feb 2019, 05:40 • #74 
Master Guide
I know, right.

Post 23 Feb 2019, 08:33 • #75 
Master Guide
I just got an Echo 8ft 7wt BAG, I got some WF7F Bass taper for free from an Ebay store. I cast it in my front yard, it appears to like a different line. That line is suppose to load up quick so maybe it likes longer taper. But the rod felt good I'm gonna fish it on the river. I'm gonna treat it like a bass rod for now.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply