It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:23

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Jun 2018, 05:46 • #76 
I have the 7' #3/4 paired with a Rio Lightline #4, and it is a perfect match, the rod have very nice full-flex action and is very fun to fight fish with.

Post 11 Jun 2018, 06:47 • #77 
Guide
proheli wrote:
Hello All.

I'd appreciate some line recommendations for my 7' 3/4wt. I had a 4.5wt line which I thought was way too much, and then a true 4wt line, which I still feel is too heavy, so now I guess I am looking for a nice 3 wt line, or 3.5. I think with a 10' leader I can safely assume I won't ever have more than 25-30' of line out. Is there a more classic line that someone thinks might really suit this rod? Mostly drys, but I could do some light nymphing with it. Maybe Cortland 444? I'd even try silk if that was really the ticket.

Thank you.

I had that rod and liked it with a Scientific Anglers Trout double taper 3 weight. A 10' leader should be fine.
tt

Post 11 Jun 2018, 11:59 • #78 
Master Guide
scud dog wrote:
Spotted this on the Hardy site. They are introducing a new glass series, the Sirrus. They are saying it's going to be released on 9/12/2016. They are tan; 3pc with spigot ferrules; feature spiral wraps and they are to be endowed with Sintrix technology. All that said, the most intriguing thing I read is they are being described as parabolic. The sintrix resin system will allow them to be really light (see the link below). Lengths are 6, 7, 7.5 and 8.

But are the world's Sintrix deposits being too rapidly depleted? And are the working conditions of the Sintrix miners humane and safe? These questions need to be addressed. Sincerely, GWW

Post 11 Jun 2018, 12:50 • #79 
Glass Fanatic
Tongue-in-cheek ? Or am I missing something? Otherwise, not sure of the question, since silica is the most abundant mineral on earth, and I can't see how its miniscule use in composites could have much impact on anything, except maybe a better composite from 3M (Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing).

Post 11 Jun 2018, 13:03 • #80 
Glass Fanatic
According to them

http://www.hardyfishing.com/Hardy-sintr ... ology.html

Post 14 Jun 2018, 02:32 • #81 
Glass Fanatic
dustdog12 wrote:

Still, the funniest hype ever was from Orvis when they were selling the rods with the Trident dampening baffles.
However, the new 805/6 has lots of backbone with a good fish on. It's on the light side for glass and it dampens quickly. It also retains the glass rod feel. So it's easy to mock sales hype but you can feel the difference in the rod. There's some truth in there. It's not ALL sales hype. That said I think it'd be really cool to see if that Sintrix resin would hurt or enhance some of the better glass rod tapers such as your tapers Dusty

Post 17 Sep 2018, 01:58 • #82 
Glass Fanatic
As far as I know these resin technologies are aimed at increasing strength by arresting the propagation of microcracks. They are most useful in conjunction with high modulus carbon fibre which is very stiff but fragile. They basically enable the use of higher modulus material in areas subjected to greater bending without running into breakage issues.

If anything, in a glass rod, you might reasonably expect this tech to increase toughness and durability (maintaining stiffness over time). I seriously doubt that there would be any palpable difference in casting. If as rumoured the Sirrus is hybrid glass/carbon then I suspect the Sintrix tech is mostly for the benefit of the carbon fibers in the laminate.

Finally had a chance to wiggle these rods in a shop. To me (based on the limits of the wiggle test) the 7' is deep bending slow taper while the 7'6" and 8' rods are much faster.

Post 20 Mar 2019, 09:34 • #83 
Glass Fanatic
I had been trying to find reviews of the Sirrus glass rods ever since they came out. I followed everything written on this board about them. There did not seem to be a consensus on the action of the rod. I finally decided the only way I could really find out for myself was to buy the rod, and a decent tax refund helped in that regard. I ordered the 6' 2/3 weight rod from Harris Sportsmail. After a relatively long wait, during which time I decided my rod had been lost at the Chicago postal facility, my rod finally came in yesterday. I took it over to my buddy Kurt's house so we could try it out. I only took one reel with me, a CFO III loaded with SA GPX WF3 line, which is a half line weight heavy. In lawn casting neither of us felt this rod was a slow, deep loading action, especially considering the heavy line. I felt it was a medium-fast for glass action, that damped quickly with minimal tip bounce. I have had a couple of opportunities to cast a Steffen 6' 2/3 weight rod, and I felt there was a strong similarity. Kurt agreed with this, though he felt the Steffen was slightly slower. At the Texas Glassic, OKMike will bring his Steffen and we will have a chance for direct comparison. I hope to have a chance to fish this rod within the next week, but so far I think I will really like it. I will also be trying it out with different lines in 2 and 3 weight.

Larry

Post 21 Mar 2019, 07:27 • #84 
Master Guide
Larry I have had my eye on one of those for a while! Real nice looking rod and I love the rod tube with cork cap. I’m having a hard time deciding do I need the 2/3 or 3/4 model. Maybe I need both;). The Sirrus reels are also nice. They do have a couple plastic parts but I have never had a problem with my 3/4 reel ever and use it a lot. Enjoy that rod!

Russ

Post 21 Mar 2019, 10:44 • #85 
Glass Fanatic
Russ, the only way to determine which rod you prefer is to buy both. Whichever one you don't like, I can help you with the disposal.

Larry

Post 22 Mar 2019, 18:35 • #86 
Hello Russ and Larry.

Big difference between the 2/3 and the 3/4 IMO. I almost got the 2/3. I just don't have a creek that small anywhere. It can almost seem whippy with lighter line, where the 3/4 is really going to flex. I think you can really tell the Sintrix is stiffening up the glass near the but of the 2/3. Its a strong little rod. I did get the 703/4, which is probably still med action for glass. I have almost the same line you are using on the 2/3. I have a SA MPX 3wt. It was definitely Goldilocks trying out the three lines. The 4 and 4.5 wts overwhelmed the rod with 30 feet of line out, the 3 got lost in air, even without wind lol, but the 3.5 was just right, really just right. I'm sure there are other great lines, but the MPX really hits the sweet spot on my 3/4.

Post 22 Mar 2019, 20:26 • #87 
Glass Fanatic
Today I had the opportunity to try the 2/3 weight rod on different lines. As mentioned the other day we tried it with a SA GPX WF3. Today I started with a Barrio Small Stream WF2, which we thought was a little too light to properly load the rod until you had about 30 feet of line out. A Barrio Small Stream WF3 felt just about perfect, but then so did a Cabela's Prestige DT2 and a SA Heritage Ultra WF3. A GPX WF2 was not bad, but not as good as the previous 3. We then went down to a nearby small creek. I rigged up with the SA Heritage Ultra WF3. I noticed I had a very light tippet left on from trout season but didn't bother to change it as I figured all I was likely to hook up with today was perhaps some small sunfish. Fishing from the bank, I cast a small bead chain bluegill fly out along a ledge parallelling deeper water. As the current swept the fly along and under the ledge, I suddenly hooked up with something I knew was not a small sunnie. Instead I had hooked a smallmouth bass of approx. 2 to 2.5 pounds. With some careful maneuvering, I was able to get the fish to the bank. However, at 71 years young, I am getting too stiff to bend forward and grab the fish by the bottom lip, I had no net, and I knew if I tried to squat on the sloping muddy bank and reach for the fish I would probably go in head first. Therefore I grasped the line and tried to gently pull the fish closer to the bank, whereon the tippet promptly snapped. Well, it was fun while it lasted. I think I am really going to enjoy this little Hardy. It reminds me quite a bit of my Old Beech Quiet Loop 3 weight rod.

Larry

Post 23 Mar 2019, 07:44 • #88 
Glass Fanatic
Good report! I can certainly relate about pitching forward while bending over. As the feller says, we pay a helluva price for all that wisdom...

Post 03 Aug 2019, 02:48 • #89 
Sport
Now that these rods have been in hands and fished, is there an opinion as to their purported "parabolic" action?

Post 03 Aug 2019, 11:26 • #90 
Glass Fanatic
I have fished 2 or 3 rods with parabolic or semi-parabolic action , and I would say the Hardy Sirrus is in no way a parabolic action. Of course, I can only speak for the 6' 2/3 weight. I went back to the Hardy site, and noticed no mention of parabolic action for the Sirrus.

Larry

Post 05 Aug 2019, 15:36 • #91 
Sport
On the Hardy web site, all Sirrus glass models under "Rod Action" have an entry "Parabolic." When Scud Dog initiated this thread, he mentioned the "intriguing" description of their parabolic action. I've recently purchased and fished a Ijuin Yomogi, and love its semi-parabolic action. Interested to know if the Hardy 7-footer has this action type.

Post 05 Aug 2019, 21:00 • #92 
Glass Fanatic
kilgoretoast,
I just missed that on the Hardy site. Didn't look far enough. However, that doesn't change my impression of the 6' 2/3 weight. I can't speak to the other lengths and weights. Perhaps my impression has been colored by other rods I have cast over the years. The most truly parabolic rod I have cast was an old Garcia Conolon Charles Ritz rod. That was an 8'6" 8 weight which made a distinct impression on me, mainly relating to how much I would hate to have to fish that monster for several hours. I would probably be unable to use my right arm the next day. I had another rod described as parabolic I picked up 2 or 3 years ago, where most of the action seemed to occur in the mid-section of the rod. I sold it to a friend and haven't missed it. I do like my Ijuin Yomogi, and to me it is perhaps semi-parabolic, feeling somewhat similar to a Berkley Curt Gowdy 6'3" 6 weight I had, though lighter in action.

Larry

Post 06 Aug 2019, 13:13 • #93 
Sport
Thanks Larry. Yes, the "parabolic" action type for the Sirrus was buried a bit in the specifications... I had to hunt myself to find what I THOUGHT I had read when the rod was introduced. I'd like to get some further impressions of the 7-ft Sirrus because several posts have mentioned that model as "deep flexing"... is it semi-parabolic in action?

I'll bet that long, heavy Conolon parabolic was an arm workout. A rod-builder friend of mine has advised me that "true" parabolic rods can also be poor at "protecting" tippets on the hook set.

I'm curious about which Yomogi rod model you own, the 61/2-ft? Mine is the 71/2 ft, 4 wt, and it is a delight to cast and fish. I bought it expecting a smaller stream rod, but find it most effective on mid- to larger-sized rivers. I never thought I'd say that about a 71/2-ft fly rod! So, I continue to seek a smaller-stream/creek semi-parabolic... hence my interest in the Sirrus and shorter Yomogi.

Post 06 Aug 2019, 13:38 • #94 
Hello, I have the 703/4 and I don't think there is anything parabolic about it. I've got some pictures of the rod bent and you can see for yourself. I'll post them here later tonight.

EDIT: Well, it won't let me post pictures. I click the Img button and nothing happens, but I was just looking at the photos, and from "slight flex to "bent in half", I can't see anything parabolic, it's just smoothly progressive as far as I can tell. "Parabolic" is easy to spot, because the first and major bend in the rod happens about 3/4 of the way down the rod.

Ive cast a few other glass rods, but I’m no expert, other than I liked a couple of the F2s. I know 5 people, including myself, who have the Sintrix. One sold his 7’ right away. Three of us really like it, and the other is a shop owner who can fish what ever he wants and the 764/5 is his go-to for small and medium water in the Rockies.

P.S. the 703/4 is much more slow bendy than the 602/3. With a 2wt line the little wand is down right snappy.

Last edited by proheli on 06 Aug 2019, 19:21, edited 5 times in total.

Post 06 Aug 2019, 16:48 • #95 
Glass Fanatic
My Yomogi is the 7' 3 weight. I like that rod, but so far I really haven't fished it all that much. It seems like I usually reach for the Hardy, or the CTS, or the Old Beech Quiet Loop when I reach for a 3 weight. I really need to make some decisions about which rods I want to keep, and pass on the rods I don't use much so somebody else can enjoy them.

Larry

Post 07 Aug 2019, 15:26 • #96 
Sport
Thanks for the great feedback. My gut told me the "parabolic" characterization of the Sirrus was questionable. In a local shop, I "waggled" the 6-ft and 7.5-footers (the only models they had). My (very limited) impressions were that the 6-ft was "quick" and nothing parabolic about it. I'm not saying this would be a poor "brush rod" at all... probably would be quite nice.

The 7.5-footer seemed like a solid progressive -- which I might have purchased, but I've been fishing a Superfine glass of that length/weight for a few years. I like it, and suspect there would be quite a bit of overlap with the 7.5-ft, 4 wt. Sirrus... both nice progressive action rods... but not parabolic action.

Thanks for the very informative posts!

Kilgore

Post 15 Aug 2019, 10:13 • #97 
Master Guide
I don’t recall ever casting a 3 piece rod that I would call “parabolic” or even “semi-parabolic.” For taper design reasons that Chris Barclay and I have discussed at some length, I’m not convinced it’s even possible, although with enough length and some crafty placement of inner plugs, I suppose it might be. Three piece parabolic bamboo rods might exist, but the maker has a lot more options for modifying bamboo tapers than he does in glass. Parabolic actions are mostly found in 2 pieces (sometimes with staggered length sections) and 4 pieces.

I haven’t had the pleasure of casting the Hardy Sirrus rods, but their 3 piece configuration would tend to make me expect them to be progressive tapers.

Post 18 Aug 2019, 05:39 • #98 
Hi Larry, I'm very interested in the 6' 2/3 weight rod, have you come up with a favorite line for it yet? I have a Barrio Small Stream # 3 lying on a shelf at home that I do not use at the moment, is that a line you would recommend for 10-30 feet casting distance with the rod?

Post 18 Aug 2019, 11:42 • #99 
Glass Fanatic
lxoye,
I think the Barrio Small Stream line would be an excellent choice for that rod. The Small Stream WF2 and WF3 are lines that I use often. Another excellent line for that rod was the Scientific Anglers Heritage Ultra WF3. I don't think that line is still available, but I think the 406 line would probably be basically the same in WF3.

Larry

Post 25 Mar 2020, 14:40 • #100 
Sport
I own a 3-pc 7'6" Yomogi 4 wt? When I'm asked what is meant by "parabolic" action, I just hand them that rod.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply