It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:51

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Dec 2016, 04:17 • #51 
Guide
They are in catalog, but when i select - "Due In Stock 16/01/2017"

I'm not in a rush. Most small streams in my area (which this small rod should be used for) are closed for fishing now, until early February

Post 28 Jan 2017, 22:46 • #52 
Glass Fanatic
Has anyone gotten one of these or has anyone ever fished one of these yet?

Post 05 Feb 2017, 16:03 • #53 
Administrator
scud dog... I took the 7' 3/4 weight to Wyoming this past summer. I like it a lot. My opinion differed than others on the board on the taper. I thought it was on the slow side but others have disagreed. Might have been since I was using a decent sized hopper. Might have been the fly line. Who knows. I did like it a lot.

http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot. ... opper.html

Post 10 Jun 2017, 23:53 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
The Hardy Sirrus are on sale again.
Does anyone have one? Opinions/ reviews?

Post 11 Jun 2017, 21:22 • #55 
Master Guide
Love all things Hardy.I wanted to like the rod but after playing around with it not a big fan.It was quick and just didn't have the feel I associate with glass.

Off topic side note I did see the new marquis today stunning in every way.I think harrissportsmail has them on sale for 203 usd for the baby version.

Post 12 Jun 2017, 11:57 • #56 
Master Guide
Lordideme wrote:
Off topic side note I did see the new marquis today stunning in every way.I think harrissportsmail has them on sale for 203 usd for the baby version.

Unit Price: £206.07 is what I can see. Where did you find such a low price? Thank you.

Post 12 Jun 2017, 20:52 • #57 
Master Guide
http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Mobile/ ... ardy+reels

The best place to buy hardy reels.

Post 23 Jul 2017, 20:31 • #58 
Master Guide
I have to say I'm kind of disappointed with the cosmetics. It seems like they've kinda caved to the prevailing fashion -- specifically, the blank color, hardwood real seat, and grip shape. The Hardy fishing website calls it "classic styling", but it's really not. It's what I could call "modern custom standard".

There's nothing in the Sirrus that says "Hardy" to me except the machine-printed text on the rod. Given the way they're consciously referencing their past classic designs with their recent reel releases (the Duchess, the Marquis LWT, etc.), I wonder if they haven't missed an opportunity to do the same thing with their rods.

My recent foray out with my Hardy "Stream" (their last fiberglass iteration, which had pretty classic fittings) reminded me how much I like just holding a piece of history in my hands (yes, I know they're made in China, but to English specs. That's a whole other argument probably best left to another thread). Classic Hardy styling in the Sirrus would be a swelled grip that flows straight back to a Hardy Universal or a cap-and-ring reel seat backed by cork -- like this:

So what are your thoughts? Think Hardy gives up sales if they don't go "custom" with hardwood? Or am I just crotchety and old?

Post 22 Sep 2017, 19:05 • #59 
I’ve got the 3/4 7’. I recently spent a week in North Carolina on a small river and even did a drift boat trip. I like this rod a lot. I really like it. I’ve tried a few others and to me this has really been much smoother. I had a 4+ weight line in it but could tell it was way too much. Now I’ve got a true 3 weight and the rod casts sooo nicely. I’ve ordered a Sunray Jeremy Lucas in 4wt, t’s a light 4 wt, and I’m very excited about how this will perform. My only situation is this. For my purposes I think I want the 2/3. I’ll probably trade this one for it and maybe get a New G to handle 4wt duties. Or maybe a Superfine Glass. Love to hear what other owners think about these, especially the 2/3 since I haven’t heard anything.

Post 23 Sep 2017, 07:27 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, proheli! I have a 7'6" 4wt Superfine Glass and like it. It's a bit on the quick side, with a powerful butt, and also works well with a DT5 line at my usual (<40') casting ranges for stream fishing. It has a light feel and is one of my favorites. Good hunting!

Post 27 Sep 2017, 14:56 • #61 
Sport
Not thinks. New Hardy sales reels made from Korea.
And new rods - not good as olders - also made in Korea (Greys).
I'd rather buy 2 old Hardy reel (Hardy Marqus or Princess) coils than new ones that are made in Korea
Or buy Danielson reel made in Sweden :P

The Sirrus rods also sales in Russia: price at 400$, very large i thinks.

Post 28 Sep 2017, 01:42 • #62 
Guide
motosacto wrote:
I have to say I'm kind of disappointed with the cosmetics. It seems like they've kinda caved to the prevailing fashion -- specifically, the blank color, hardwood real seat, and grip shape. The Hardy fishing website calls it "classic styling", but it's really not. It's what I could call "modern custom standard".

by classic look you mean this all-cork retro styled handles with sliding band ?
love that too.

Post 28 Sep 2017, 02:01 • #63 
Guide
Michael wrote:
Not thinks. New Hardy sales reels made from Korea.
And new rods - not good as olders - also made in Korea (Greys).
I'd rather buy 2 old Hardy reel (Hardy Marqus or Princess) coils than new ones that are made in Korea
Or buy Danielson reel made in Sweden :P

it's kind of fetish thing. all mass produced reels made on CNC machines, does it really matter in which country machine is operated?
I have 3 Hardy reels, all Korean, no problems with it apart from lack of "collector's value". I'm going to sell one , and chances are that i'll get only 1/4 of initial price on ebay
Loop classic or Opti reels also made in Korea, but they aren't cheap anyway (I wish it would ).

Post 06 Oct 2017, 23:21 • #64 
Guide
easternffer wrote:

it's kind of fetish thing. all mass produced reels made on CNC machines, does it really matter in which country machine is operated?

Yes, it absolutely matters where the machine is operated, but not for quality reasons (any longer anyway).

Post 27 Oct 2017, 08:38 • #65 
Guide
Cameron wrote:
scud dog... I took the 7' 3/4 weight to Wyoming this past summer. I like it a lot. My opinion differed than others on the board on the taper. I thought it was on the slow side but others have disagreed. Might have been since I was using a decent sized hopper. Might have been the fly line. Who knows. I did like it a lot.

Im confused... is 3/4 really 3wt or 4wt? does it feel overpowered with 4wt line or just enough?
same question about 4/5.

Post 27 Oct 2017, 18:00 • #66 
Glass Fanatic
easternffer wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Im confused... is 3/4 really 3wt or 4wt? does it feel overpowered with 4wt line or just enough?
same question about 4/5.

This isn't holy scripture, it's a recommendation by the manufacturer/ designer in most cases. On the 3/4, the recommendation for the first number would be a DT3 and the second would be for a WF4. Taste vary, but a lot of times it works fine. On modern rods with one line recommendation, it's generally for the WF line and one line smaller in a DT will often work too.
Remember the magic word; recommendation/ suggestions. Taste vary.

Post 01 Jan 2018, 11:51 • #67 
Glass Fanatic
BTW, Amazon has the 764 on sale for $299.

Post 03 Jan 2018, 21:08 • #68 
I have the 7’ 3/4 wt. I started with a Rio Perception 4wt WF, which is a 1/2 line heavy. It’s much too heavy for my tastes and deadens the rod. I had bought it on a Rio staff person’s recommendation, oh well. Then I threw on a $10 3wt WF I found on Amazon just to see what would happen and it basically transformed the rod. It feels light and smooth now, like the rod and line are one. So now I’ll purchase a better 3wt for Spring.

Post 04 Jan 2018, 03:38 • #69 
Guide
>I have the 7’ 3/4 wt. I started with a Rio Perception 4wt WF, which is a 1/2 line heavy. It’s much too heavy for my tastes and deadens the rod

probably wrong line choice for particular rod. there is a lot of lines now, which are slightly overweighted to match trend of extra-fast rods

RIO has Lightline WF - according to spec "designed for slower action rods; especially bamboo, glass and “classic” action graphite rods". I didn't use it either but probably will try for my next rod

Post 05 Jan 2018, 18:47 • #70 
Sport
scud dog wrote:
easternffer wrote:
Cameron wrote:

same question about 4/5.

This isn't holy scripture, it's a recommendation by the manufacturer/ designer in most cases. On the 3/4, the recommendation for the first number would be a DT3 and the second would be for a WF4. Taste vary, but a lot of times it works fine. On modern rods with one line recommendation, it's generally for the WF line and one line smaller in a DT will often work too.
Remember the magic word; recommendation/ suggestions. Taste vary.

Newbie question...why would you upline a WF from a DT line. Doesn't the first 30' for a WF3 or DT3 weigh the same?

Post 05 Jan 2018, 20:31 • #71 
Master Guide
Yes. The idea is that *if* you're casting more than 30 feet, the DT may overload the rod, whereas the WF with the thinner running line won't as much. That is if you're fishing a WF with only a 30 foot head. Many WF lines have much longer heads, so ymmv.

Post 05 Jan 2018, 20:53 • #72 
Sport
Gotcha, thanks salvelinus

Post 31 May 2018, 14:35 • #73 
Hello All.

I'd appreciate some line recommendations for my 7' 3/4wt. I had a 4.5wt line which I thought was way too much, and then a true 4wt line, which I still feel is too heavy, so now I guess I am looking for a nice 3 wt line, or 3.5. I think with a 10' leader I can safely assume I won't ever have more than 25-30' of line out. Is there a more classic line that someone thinks might really suit this rod? Mostly drys, but I could do some light nymphing with it. Maybe Cortland 444? I'd even try silk if that was really the ticket.

Thank you.

Post 02 Jun 2018, 20:49 • #74 
Glass Fanatic
http://www.flylineshop.com
Good lines. Great prices. Free shipping.
IF I want a line for a rod I know I'll fish a lot; Airflo DryElite.
Despite being warned. In spite of mixed reviews, I fell victim to 20% off plus free shipping from the UK. I bought the new Hardy 805/6. So far I've had it out for three outings. Twice with an Airflo DT5. Once with a WF6. I like it better than the Hardy "Troutfisher" as far as general casting ease. Really, two different rods as line weight goes.
As lines go, it's pretty good with the DT5 and seemed really good today with a WF6.
While there were caddis emerging about twenty to thirty feet away, it got the line there accurately and with ease. If anything, it was begging for more line. I'm sold. Good rod. :)

Post 03 Jun 2018, 08:20 • #75 
Glass Fanatic
proheli wrote:
Hello All.

I'd appreciate some line recommendations for my 7' 3/4wt. I had a 4.5wt line which I thought was way too much, and then a true 4wt line, which I still feel is too heavy, so now I guess I am looking for a nice 3 wt line, or 3.5. I think with a 10' leader I can safely assume I won't ever have more than 25-30' of line out. Is there a more classic line that someone thinks might really suit this rod? Mostly drys, but I could do some light nymphing with it. Maybe Cortland 444? I'd even try silk if that was really the ticket.

Thank you.

If you plan on fishing a 7' 3wt rod with a 10 ft leader at 25', you better be using a very small fly. I generally fish a shorter leader with a short rod. For a 7' rod, maybe 7' or 8' leader maximum. IMO :)

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply