It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:14

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Epic Packlight 5pc rod??
Post 29 Feb 2016, 11:40 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I just saw this on Swift/Epic's website..

http://swiftflyfishing.com/collections/ ... 76-5-piece

Their 476 in a 5pc blank. Available only in Tangerine Dream (a new color, too?) at this point. Wow.

Last edited by JoeFriday on 29 Feb 2016, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Feb 2016, 11:48 • #2 
Master Guide
Oh My!

Post 29 Feb 2016, 12:21 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Love the idea, but hate the color.

Post 29 Feb 2016, 15:54 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I don't even like the idea. The more pieces for a given length, the more the action takes a hit, and the shorter the rod for a given number of pieces, the more the action takes a hit. I'm not trying to sell the virtues of 1 and 2 pc rods but I am a proponent of going with as few pieces as needed. That usually means for me the number of pieces to get a rod of a given length on a plane. That usually means about 3 pieces for rods up to about 8'6" and 4 pieces after that. 5 pc's for a short rod? I could maybe understand 4 pieces but 3's plenty even for backpacking a 7'6" rod, certainly not 5. I suppose its OK if you want to hide a rod in your shorts for some reason. But otherwise, I think it's not a good tradeoff for maximum performance of a rod blank. In full disclosure, I do own an 8'4" 5wt 5pc but even that fits in my briefcase. I use it on business travel if I manage to sneak away. I certainly don't think I need it for most of my fishing excursions.

Post 29 Feb 2016, 16:34 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
CrustyBugger wrote:
I don't even like the idea. The more pieces for a given length, the more the action takes a hit, and the shorter the rod for a given number of pieces, the more the action takes a hit.

I agree with you *only* if the identical taper is cut-up into 2 vs 5 sections.

But competent rod designers can make a very good performing rod in 5 sections,
if the taper is designed for that specific configuration.

I have handled some very nice 5pc rods.
Coincidentally, they are all Japanese-made...

Post 29 Feb 2016, 16:46 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
So, Crusty.. you're adamantly opposed to someone producing 5pc rods. Except for the one you use.

Post 29 Feb 2016, 18:37 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Adamant, I don't think I was adamant. People can produce what they please. I think I was offering opinion on short 5 piece rods. I like my my 8'4" 5pc (which isn't exactly short) well enough but would probably be happier if it was a 4 piece or a 3 piece. What I was trying to point out with the 8'4" 5pc is that I have found a nice use for it but it's a very specific use and it sees very limited use compared to my other rods. I'd rather fish with my other rods for typical use. The 8'4" 5pc is still a superb rod but I'm sure it would have been a better 4pc or 3pc with fewer ferrules to muck up the action. A 7'6" 5 piece? I'll bet you can find 3-piece rods you would like much better.

Post 29 Feb 2016, 19:27 • #8 
Master Guide
I have fished numerous multi piece rods and I don't see much if any action difference with them in the last 40 years, starting with the Scott 5 piece rods. I have a Campanella 7'7" 3wt 6pce rod that is as smooth and fluid as any rod I own. The Winston LT's are top rate too. I also have directly compared 2 piece rods simply cut to 4 (TMR 8'3" Streamer Special) and see no perceptible difference at all. The above are all 'spigot ferrules'.
Tip over butt rods I have used were Sage SP (Smooth Performance) and the SLT and they are very nice or rather exceptional too.
Bamboo in three piece as compare to 2 piece once again no problem. I prefer 3 piece and other than a slight increase in weight the rods are exceptional; if you don't believe that try a Payne 201 or 200 or numerous other tapers. And these are metal ferrules.
So in my opinion in rods in the early 70's and before multiple ferrules (excepting Bamboo) were most likely a problem but they are no longer an issue at all.
I would imagine some of the more perceptive among us could perceive a degradation in action so I am glad I am not handicapped like that or I might be forced to simply use 1 piece rods.

Post 29 Feb 2016, 19:40 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
CrustyBugger wrote:
Adamant, I don't think I was adamant. People can produce what they please. I think I was offering opinion on short 5 piece rods. I like my my 8'4" 5pc (which isn't exactly short) well enough but would probably be happier if it was a 4 piece or a 3 piece. What I was trying to point out with the 8'4" 5pc is that I have found a nice use for it but it's a very specific use and it sees very limited use compared to my other rods. I'd rather fish with my other rods for typical use. The 8'4" 5pc is still a superb rod but I'm sure it would have been a better 4pc or 3pc with fewer ferrules to muck up the action. A 7'6" 5 piece? I'll bet you can find 3-piece rods you would like much better.

I'm sure you're right. I'm not really that interested in this particular configuration. Particularly since I own a Winston LT 8'3" in 5pc. But, as you've already pointed out, it could be useful in some situations. A fly rod can be a bit like a camera... the best one is always the one you have with you.

Post 29 Feb 2016, 20:19 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
rsagebrush wrote:
I have fished numerous multi piece rods and I don't see much if any action difference with them in the last 40 years, starting with the Scott 5 piece rods. I have a Campanella 7'7" 3wt 6pce rod that is as smooth and fluid as any rod I own. The Winston LT's are top rate too. I also have directly compared 2 piece rods simply cut to 4 (TMR 8'3" Streamer Special) and see no perceptible difference at all. The above are all 'spigot ferrules'.
Tip over butt rods I have used were Sage SP (Smooth Performance) and the SLT and they are very nice or rather exceptional too. Bamboo in three piece as compare to 2 piece once again no problem. I prefer 3 piece and other than a slight increase in weight the rods are exceptional; if you don't believe that try a Payne 201 or 200 or numerous other tapers. And these are metal ferrules.
So in my opinion in rods in the early 70's and before multiple ferrules (excepting Bamboo) were most likely a problem but they are no longer an issue at all.
I would imagine some of the more perceptive among us could perceive a degradation in action so I am glad I am not handicapped like that or I might be forced to simply use 1 piece rods.

The rods affected most would be the spigot ferruled rods. The blank is the same regardless of the number of sections. In bamboo and tip over butt ferrules, each section can or has to be designed with its own taper so it can be more readily compensated for if the manufacturer takes the extra time and energy to do it. But that only goes so far because metal ferrules and tip over butt ferrules are bulky compared to spigot ferrules. And the taper isn't the same on Payne 2pc rods as they are on 3pc rods. Payne knew how to build a 3 piece rod. Not all manufacturers did though. And I didn't say that a nice rod couldn't be built with more sections. I said it would be a better rod with fewer sections. And I know lots of folks that can tell the difference, not just me. Another example is Tom Morgans 2 piece rods vs his 4 piece rods. Personally, I prefer Tom Morgan's 2 piece rods MUCH better than his 4 piece versions.

But heck if it doesn't make a difference these days to have multiple ferrules, why not make a rod that's just made of ferrules? Then you could store it under your hat.

Post 29 Feb 2016, 21:11 • #11 
Love this idea. With this rod and an 8 foot for 7/8 wt in five pieces, 80% of my fishing needs would be met when needing to pack light when traveling for business or those family vacations that are strictly not fishing vacations...This is very tempting. Look forward to hearing any reviews on this rod and hope they make a multi piece in a heavier line class as well...

Post 01 Mar 2016, 00:09 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I'm not backpacking and hiking into the wilderness. So, I don't care if a pack rod has more pieces than I have fingers and toes. Good news for those that do all that stuff. I hope it's a winner for who ever gets one.
About the color (squint and make believe it's brown Crusty ), it's a standard opaque color offering on the CTS site. My guess is Swift went with an opaque color because the only thing you'd see would be ferrule joints if it was translucent.

Post 01 Mar 2016, 01:49 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I don't think it's a bad idea, I go on a backcountry jaunt once or twice a year and it would be nice to have a 5 or 6pc glass. The new Douglas Outdoor graphite 6pc I checked out in Somerset were nice, those were a spigot ferruled 8' 3wt and I think a 7'6" 3wt. I think it would be a challenge at below 8' with tip over, but doable I think. You would probably have to change the taper though. I've been thinking about doing an 8'6" and 8'9" 5wt and 6wt 5pc for when I finally go to New Zealand or Slovenia (one can dream). Will probably do spigot ferrule on those. Just so I can travel with my rods and in New Zealand backpack with them. Speaking of backpacking JP Ross just put out a 6pc 3wt they are calling the Muir. Anyone cast any of those yet?

Epic Packlight 5pc rod??
Post 01 Mar 2016, 03:09 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Carl is just testing the market potential. He simply used one of his favorite rods to test this.

Epic Packlight 5pc rod??
Post 01 Mar 2016, 06:56 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
dustdog12 wrote:
Speaking of backpacking JP Ross just put out a 6pc 3wt they are calling the Muir. Anyone cast any of those yet?

No, but judging by photos from the website it has a grip and fighting but more suited to a heavy duty 7 or 8wt, not a backcountry 3wt. Really not sure what he was thinking...

Post 01 Mar 2016, 08:45 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
aurelio had Mark Steffen build him a short 7'6" 5 piece 3/4 and it is the nicest Steffen I have ever fished, and I have fished a lot of Steffens. If you ever hike up and down the goat trail to get to the red river you'll appreciate having a 5 piece rod.

Post 01 Mar 2016, 08:50 • #17 
Master Guide
Crusty,
They make one of those 'Hat Rods' Axisico Airrite (Air Lite) it is a 10 piece 6'9" 3wt and it is quite nice, still you would need to have a rather big head. The last 3 ferrules are reversed. And your complaint was ferrules not tapers, if the rod is well designed I have not seen a problem with the number of ferrules. After fishing the Scott 5 piece rods in the late 70's ferrules had been perfected. I believe the cost of the xtra ferrules is what is prohibitive.

For the last several years my preference has been 4 piece rods as packable and convenient and being the Cretin I am there is no difference.

Post 01 Mar 2016, 09:34 • #18 
Master Guide
I think it is pretty cool, and I especially like the rod tube. I may end up getting one to build sometime. For some reason, I always get excited about 5pc. and 6pc. configurations; probably because it reminds me of all of the backcountry trips I used to take. Now that I have younger kids, most of my outings are short and quick trips to local waters. For the local waters, I greatly prefer 2pc and 3pc. rods. They put together quickly and easily, and there are fewer ferrules to potentially come loose. I can quickly assemble (and disassemble) my rod and concentrate on fishing only. Nonetheless, I find myself daydreaming about backcountry trips whenever I see a new 5pc. or 6pc. rod. And in my experiences, the quality multi-piece rods are very good. I have a 6pc. 6'6" 3/4wt. Lamiglas rod that is a fantastic casting rod. Additionally, Larry Kenney's 8'0" 5wt. 5pc. rod is my favorite in his lineup. Just my two cents.

Colt

Post 01 Mar 2016, 09:40 • #19 
Master Guide
Crusty, do you want to sell your 8'4" 5wt 5 piece?

I like the 84x/5 scotts much better than the 86x/2 versions. At least in 4 and 6 weights, I'm still waiting to find the 845/5 I want.

Post 01 Mar 2016, 09:47 • #20 
Master Guide
I'll buy one
That Axisico is a good casting rod, the one I've tried.

Epic Packlight 5pc rod??
Post 01 Mar 2016, 10:53 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
No, I'm not looking to sell it. I've had that rod for nigh on 30 years. I didn't say I didn't like it, I do. I would liked to have seen that taper in 2 or 3 pieces though. And it does serve a nice purpose here and there. It has some sentimental value now. There does seem to be something magical about that rod. Every time I haul it out, it seems like I catch a large fish or a lot of fish on it. Go figure.

Post 01 Mar 2016, 15:15 • #22 
Master Guide
The 5 piece Scotts are very good rods IMO, I have 2 in graphite 4 and 6wt and sold another one 3wt. I have one in glass, a 5 piece 7 weight.

I also have a brown Scott 8'4 5wt 2 piece, it's a nice enough rod, but I'd trade it in a second for a g 845/5 (an old one with the all cork grip / reel seat).

Post 02 Mar 2016, 08:34 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
ibookje wrote:
Carl is just testing the market potential.

Well, it'll be interesting to see how these sell. Once the introductory special expires, this will be Epic's most expensive blank by 20%. And an Epic studio build is just over $725 US. And then there's the color, which perhaps bugs me more than others.

Post 02 Mar 2016, 08:45 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
I'm not a fan of the color, either. I'd like to see it in something close to Olive or Mocha. Or, if it had to be something different than their usual array of colors, a ruby red would be eye catching.

Make it so.

Post 02 Mar 2016, 09:04 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
I don't even like putting together 3 piece rods, let alone 4 or 5, plus I don't do any real back country hiking that would necessitate this rod, but I guess I'm in the minority, because I really like that color.

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply