It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:20

New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Jan 2015, 22:06 • #1 
Master Guide
I was going thru some of my old things recently and found a graphite blank I bought over 30 years ago, but never built up. It's a two piece, 8 foot, 6 weight Fenwick Traditional. I remember Fenwick only offered the Traditional rods for a year or two, and advertised them as "bamboo action in graphite". The blank has a very smooth, progressive taper and is indeed, very slow actioned. Anyone ever own or fish one of these rods? I guess I'll have to build it up this year; it should be an easy casting rod. I have never seen a factory built Fenwick Traditional, either close up or even listed for sale. Anyone have any experience with this rod?

Post 13 Jan 2015, 22:23 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I wonder if it's anything like the Streamer rods. It sounds interesting.

Let us know how it turns out.

Post 14 Jan 2015, 08:19 • #3 
Emeritus
My first ever fly rod was an 8' 6 weight Eagle from that era. Still have it. These had very smooth medium actions in graphite. Never heard of the traditional. Were they supposed to be even more delicate?

Post 14 Jan 2015, 08:45 • #4 
Master Guide
I have one made from a blank. It's as you describe it, smooth, slow and progressive. Mine is made with Fugi Moonglow guides and other less than stellar components and still fishes very well. Really nice fish on feel. Build that sucker and take it fishing.

Post 18 Jan 2015, 13:37 • #5 
Master Guide
I have always wanted to try one of those, I should have got one when they were available in the 80's.

The only Fenwick I have know is a old HMG (maroon blank) 8 feet/4pce for a 6 wieght and it is one of my favorite fly rods. Real nice smooth action and handle very large fish in tight cover.

Post 20 Jan 2015, 13:04 • #6 
Master Guide
The original HMG is a nice progressive action, but this Traditional is even slower. I gave an 8.5 footer streamer to my youngest grandson...it's also a nice progressive, but this Traditional is slower. It has a flatter taper in the butt than the HMG or Streamer. It will likely be a really slow graphite. I have seen the original Fenwick magazine ad for the Traditional, and it compares it to traditional "bamboo action". The Traditional rod was listed in several lengths and weights, but I have never seen a factory built model. I remember I bought the blank because I loved and still love the older Orvis graphite rods with their advertised "Orvis Action", which bends down into the corks. Maybe I can find the time this year to get it built up.

Post 02 Feb 2015, 12:20 • #7 
Sport
I have an 8.5 ft., 6 wt. Traditional blank that was built out by a friend that specialized in cane rods. The action is best described as a "traditional bamboo action". I used the rod so much the guides had to be replaced. When my friend replaced the guides he put an agate stripping guide on the rod and black snake guides. The same as some of the cane rods he built.
It's a very nice rod to fish. You'll enjoy it.

Dennis

Post 07 Feb 2015, 23:29 • #8 
Master Guide
Thanks, Dennis and all who commented. I have had this blank since the early 1980s and I guess it's long past time to get my butt in gear and get it built.

Post 17 Mar 2017, 14:51 • #9 
Sport
Hi,
Here is some pictures of a vintage Fenwick "Bamboo Action" Traditional Series factory built :

I have just received this rod. ( it's a 9' 4wt GFFT Fenwick), hadn't try it yet but seems to be an action between Sage Circa and old Orvis Spring creek... More lighter, thinner and faster than the old Orvis but with the same bend :)
Hope I'll enjoy it :rollin

If someone knows more about those traditional series i'd like to know more about
For example, between what period those Fenwick Series were produced...
The magical would be a picture of an old Fenwick Catalog showing this rod :)
Thanks!

Last edited by whrlpool on 17 Mar 2017, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
Displayed pics using IMG code

Post 17 Mar 2017, 16:35 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I have a GFF806T (without the "Bamboo Action" marking). I will have to compare the Fenwick with my Orvis Trout. I didn't think this was a slower rod when I initially cast it. In fact, compared to the original grey, greenie fenwick's, this seemed a bit stiffer and heavier. On a separate note: Scottaddict, the loop yellowline that you have in your photobucket album looks fantastic.

I also would love to have more info on the T series HMG rods. I am not sure the gff806T I have has anything in common with the Bamboo Action GFFXXXT rods.

[edit -- update after casting]
I just went out to test a 1975 orvis 806 vs the gff806T. These were significantly different. The GFF806T bent mostly in the tip section, with only a bit of flex in the butt. The Orvis flexed well past the stripping guide. I am guessing the gff806T is a bit different than the gff904T. I purchased this GFF806T due to this thread when it came up for a reasonable price. It is a fine rod, but stiffer than the 1st generation (grey blank) GFF806 . The GFF806T has a staggered ferrule and is very light (weight) compared to other brown HMG's I've tried.

WB4TJH, did you build this blank out? I'm curious how it turned out.

To feed back against my earlier comment about the fenwick streamer. The streamer special is heavier (for graphite) slower rod. Though I had a 9' version.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41863&p=226084#p199728

Last edited by carlz on 17 Mar 2017, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Mar 2017, 18:02 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
We don't usually get the whole story on graphite inquiries because most of us focus our posts on the namesake material of the forum. Nevertheless, here's a related piece in the vein of "soft" graphite rods by Fenwick; some of the discussion touches on the Traditional. viewtopic.php?p=85331#p85331

Post 18 Mar 2017, 07:53 • #12 
Sport
Hi,
Thanks to have put my pictures in a good form whrlpool, and also for the link ;)
If found this information about Fenwick Traditional Series in the Field & Stream on Google Books - seems that their production began in the early 80' ( dont know if i should post this in the link indicated by whlrpool or here... :

Ps: (On a separate note for @carlz : thanks for your apreciation of my Loop Yellow 8'8" 4wt, it's a fantastic rod with lot of feel and soul, but it isn't like glass at all... even that the colour looks like... Anyway it's one of my favourite graphite rod for trouts and graylings, very delicate presentation rod- i also have the "big brother", a Loop Yellow Line 9'2" 6-7wt that i use for Bass where my Fenwick Ferralite 8' is not usefull ;) )

Last edited by Scottaddict on 18 Mar 2017, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Mar 2017, 07:57 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Nice find that fits this thread well--plus I see you got the direct pic posting down now. Thanks. I was getting too curious about graphite of that time, which I remember but paid little attention to, and was very tempted to go up in the attic to paw through my Fly Fisherman mags of the same time period.

Post 18 Mar 2017, 09:05 • #14 
Master Guide
Old thread, I started thread asking about these models some time ago. I had a 9' 5wt that was stolen
I've looked for a couple years trying to find with no luck.
To this day it would be my favorite rod

Post 18 Mar 2017, 12:52 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
There was a lot of very nice soft graphite blanks back in the 80s.I had a nice 9 ft. 5-6 wt. St. Croix I built that flexed right down into the grip.Another one was a Lamiglas HLS graphite that was one of the softest 6 wts. Ive had.I wouldnt mind one of those Traditional blanks though.Ive never heard of them before.

Post 03 May 2017, 05:33 • #16 
Sport
Hi,
Just for the info:
I have tried some fly lines on this Fenwick Bamboo Action 9'#4 :
- Scientific anglers WF4 and WF5,
- Rio LT Intouch DT4 and DT3,
- and a Lee Wulf TT 3-4, this last one Is the best between all lines tested on this rod in my oppinion ;)

Post 23 Feb 2021, 17:10 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I have a factory-built 866T on the way.
Excited to try this elusive vintage fly rod.
(hoping the 8'6" #6 flexes more deeply than Carl's 806T...)

Post 23 Feb 2021, 18:08 • #18 
Guide
Jim Bashline, in his book Night Fishing For Trout, had much praise for Fenwick's Traditional series.
Pgs. 34-35.

He called the 8ft 6wt, "one of the finest all round trout rods I've ever seen or used."
Quite high accolades, I'd say.

He was also fond of the 8 1/2' 8wt. for night applications(using a 7wt. line). "They(the Traditional series) had that marvelous "tip in hand" feel that is so advantageous when night fishing."

Post 02 Mar 2021, 10:04 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
corlay wrote:
I have a factory-built 866T on the way.
Excited to try this elusive vintage fly rod.
(hoping the 8'6" #6 flexes more deeply than Carl's 806T...)

rod received. (*does* have the "Bamboo Action" marking, BTW)
first wiggle says it *is* indeed more "flexy" than most (vintage) graphite rods I've handled.
might just be a matter of a skinnier butt-section, making it a bit parabolic? But I'm hoping for a true, slow-progressive.
No opportunity to test-cast it yet - March came in like a Lion yesterday...

Last edited by corlay on 02 Mar 2021, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post 02 Mar 2021, 15:45 • #20 
Guide
Please let us know how you like it. Supposed to hit 50 degrees in central PA tomorrow.

New Topic Add Reply