It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:54

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 May 2014, 19:17 • #26 
Master Guide
Wiley's Flies in Raybrook NY, Adirondack Mtns, carries my stuff along with Redington Buttersticks. The gang that hangs out there fishes glass too.

Post 01 Jun 2014, 09:16 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Harry Murray's Fly Shop in Edinburg, VA has Scott glass and I would assume the Orvis Superfine glass as well, however I haven been by in awhile to confirm the Orvis.

The Sporting Gentleman in Media, PA has the the Orvis Superfine glass, Hardy and some Epics along with a few vintage rods if that counts.

Slate Run Tackle Shop in Slate Run, PA has the Orvis Superfine Glass.

A&G Outfitters in Dickson City, PA has the Orvis Superfine Glass.

FWIW - I was present when TCO Fly Shop in Bryn Mawr, PA was REMOVING their Scott glass from inventory back in March. :(

Last edited by Bamboozle on 02 Jun 2014, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Jun 2014, 09:48 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Since the death of The Blue Heron fly shop there are no real fly shops in Ft Worth. North Dallas has an Orvis store which is really a clothing store with classic fly fishing gear on the walls. They do carry some fly rods for show and have the new 764 glass rod on display. They were appalled when I asked to test cast it. I asked about the 805 and the clerk told me it wouldn't be officially introduced until late summer.

Post 03 Jun 2014, 05:17 • #29 
Sport
The Evening Hatch fly shop in Lake Harmony,PA had two new Orvis glass rods.

Post 20 Jul 2014, 08:22 • #30 
Sport
frogmorton wrote:
Since the death of The Blue Heron fly shop there are no real fly shops in Ft Worth.

I for one have mourned the death of the Brick and Mortar Shops. The last one here in Rochester NY carries about 20% of what he used to carry. He maybe had 8 rods in the rod rack, perhaps there is still hope as records and record stores have rebounded, perhaps fly shops will do the same.

Quote:
North Dallas has an Orvis store... They were appalled when I asked to test cast it. I asked about the 805 and the clerk told me it wouldn't be officially introduced until late summer.

Our local Orvis Retial Store was very excited to have me test cast their glass rods, and they had the 805 for months now. Must be a Dallas thing. And that is not a put down, our Store has a Pittsford thing, you'd have to live here to get the reference. Just saying that if you don't look the part of Pittsford they don't pay much attention to you.

Cheers, Alan

Post 20 Jul 2014, 08:53 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
frogmorton wrote:
Since the death of The Blue Heron fly shop there are no real fly shops in Ft Worth.

Frog, I think Backwoods would take exception with this statement. Although it mostly carries camping, clothing, kayaks and other products, you can go up stairs to the fly fishing department, ask to cast a Redington Butter Stick, and you'll be obliged. Just ask for Stephen the manager who used to work for blue heron...

In truth, places like these might be the model for cities of the size of Ft Worth, outdoor product businesses who wish to carry fly fishing gear and sell other products, thus making money on the store. In my own experience there, I feel that backwoods is my local fly shop with tying materials and all the goods blue heron used to carry. I'm grateful they're there for me, and I choose to support them.

Les

Post 20 Jul 2014, 14:07 • #32 
Master Guide
Bob Marriotts in Fullerton, Ca. has in stock Buttersticks, Echo glass, Orvis Superfine & Scott F2.

Post 21 Jul 2014, 08:22 • #33 
Sport
Schultz Outfitters, Ypsilanti, MI has Orvis and Scott. They also had Cameron and Seele at their "demo" days event last month. One of the very best shops I've seen.

Post 28 Sep 2014, 21:55 • #34 
Sport
Dupage Fly Co. in Naperville Illinois has the Redington Buttersticks and Orvis Superfine Glass.

Post 09 Oct 2014, 18:12 • #35 
Guide
Funny thing, I tried the first Orvis Superfine 7.5' 4 wt at our local Orvis store and went back and bought it a week later. The 4 wt was the only glass rod they had in there. I went in last week and they only have the 3 wt and 4 wt and haven't seen a 5 wt yet. They did mention that they had not sold a lot of the glass rods since they came out.

I am very happy with the 7.5' 4wt. I fish it in the same water I used to always fish a 7'7" Scott G and sometimes fish an old yellow glass Scott 7' 5wt. The Orvis won't throw a line quite as far as the G but is much easier to throw casts that land very softly. It is an excellent rod for 90% of my small stream fishing.

Ed

Post 09 Oct 2014, 20:48 • #36 
Master Guide
Ed,
The 805 is an awsome rod for our tailwaters down here. Icast the 4weight and it is really nice but I went with the extra length. Ozark Angler in Little Rock carries Orvis glass,Redington Buttersticks and Hardy glass.

Post 16 Oct 2014, 11:36 • #37 
Guide
Since most of my fishing is smaller streams, a shorter 4 wt fits my needs perfectly. I would like to try one of the 5 wts on a larger river like our Yuba . . . . that's where i normally fish an old Fisher Original Graphite. It's big water and usually requires lots of lead and two flies under an indicator.

Ed

Post 01 Mar 2015, 23:49 • #38 
Guide
We stock new & used:

Orvis
Echo
Diamondback
Scott
Sage
Hardy
Winston
Lamiglas
Phillipson
Leonard
Lee Wulff
Fenwick
Fisher (S.A.)

Bob
aflyshop.com

Post 02 Mar 2015, 06:55 • #39 
Guide
A user friendly site would be nice..

Post 02 Mar 2015, 19:09 • #40 
Sport
Gates AuSable Lodge, on the banks of the AuSable River in Grayling Michigan. Seele and Orvis glass rods- talk with Josh

Post 03 Mar 2015, 16:20 • #41 
Administrator
Trouts Fly Fishing in Denver carries Swift Fly Fishing Epic fly rods, Orvis, and Redington glass.

Post 04 Mar 2015, 14:39 • #42 
Sport
Oak Orchard Fly Shop in Buffalo, NY carries Scott, Echo, T&T and Redington.

Post 01 Jan 2016, 17:11 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
Lakestream Fly Shop in Whitefish, Montana stocks the Redington Butter Stick. They also are retailers for Orvis and Scott and will order just about anything they can upon request.

I don't know their policy on special orders, but they let me test cast the Butter Stick before I bought it. Great shop, fantastic guys, and they'll teach you anything you want to know about fly tying (assuming the right guys are working that day).

Post 01 Jan 2016, 19:01 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
Homewaters in Eugene Oregon has Fenwick and Echo glass. Super service from a small shop.

Post 12 Apr 2018, 10:48 • #45 
Sport
The Rocky Mountain Rod Shop in Golden, CO has new glass rods, glass (+graphite) blanks and rod building supplies. Last time I was in, he had some good deals on older Epic blanks. Kent can also custom make whatever components, or rod you want. He made me a nice stacked bamboo reel seat for my last build.

Post 12 Apr 2018, 19:14 • #46 
Master Guide
jhipps wrote:
The Rocky Mountain Rod Shop in Golden, CO has new glass rods, glass (+graphite) blanks and rod building supplies. Last time I was in, he had some good deals on older Epic blanks. Kent can also custom make whatever components, or rod you want. He made me a nice stacked bamboo reel seat for my last build.

That's really good to know. My daughter will be going to CO School of Mines in the fall so I'll be visiting Golden frequently.

Post 12 Apr 2018, 23:21 • #47 
Guide
jhipps wrote:

Stop giving away my secrets!!

Post 03 May 2019, 04:16 • #48 
Sport
In our online shop my father and I carry rods of various fiberglass builders like Yamame and ********* Rod Co. We try to concentrate on small builders and normally we have some rods in stock. If we don´t have a rod in stock we will be able to get it for you in short time. Custom made rods, especially made by Yamame are always an option for you.

We also carry 406 lines and Approach reels. Another strong part of our business is supporting smaller German brands like Maier & Fazis and Otter knives.
Our aim is to make fiberglass fly rods more common and popular in Europe again.
As we are based out of Bochum in Germany we are able to deliver within Europe in due time and with fairly small shipping costs.

https://www.thereelthing-fishing.com/english/fly-rods/

Post 03 May 2019, 05:05 • #49 
Master Guide
If you know want you want and its from national scale company as opposed to a 'one of' custom rod maker, your local shop may well be able to get it for you, so its worth a try. And you thereby do something to help keep them in business.

Heddonist

Post 03 May 2019, 06:38 • #50 
Guide
Fly shop of the Big Horns in Sheridan Wyoming carries ********* Rod Co glass and Thomas and Thomas glass rods. Also Sweetwater fly shop in ********* Montana carries ********* glass rods as well, and if I am not mistaken Yellowstone angler also carries ********* rods.

Mike

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply