It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:50

New Topic Add Reply
Vince Cummings
Post 25 Nov 2013, 19:04 • #1 
Sport
How rare are Cummings rods?
This side of the pond they are as rare as rocking horse sh*t.
How good are they?
Would you buy one?

Re: Vince Cummings
Post 25 Nov 2013, 21:34 • #2 
Guide
I grew up fishing VC glass rods. His glass rods are rare, even in the States. They are very good, especially the shorter 4 wts in the Superlite and Ultimate series. Back in the 1980-90's, they sold for $65-95. In recent years, there's been a bit of a Cummings craze with asking prices in the $650-900 range.

Last edited by kinzua on 25 Nov 2013, 22:21, edited 2 times in total.

Post 25 Nov 2013, 21:44 • #3 
Master Guide
Yes. They are rare, very good, and I did buy one.

If you have the opportunity to get one, jump on it.

Post 25 Nov 2013, 22:06 • #4 
Piscator
Cummings rods are super-progressive tapers. Most of them will cast and fish a range of 4 or 5 line weights. They probably take advantage of glass properties more than any other maker's rods, and are tapers that can't be duplicated in bamboo or any other material.

Post 25 Nov 2013, 22:19 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Welcome!
Quote:
this side of the pond they are as rare as rocking horse sh*t.

That's the best line I've heard in a long time.
Tight lines and Cummings rods seldom disappoint loops
Andy M

Post 25 Nov 2013, 23:06 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Yes I would buy one. You live near or on the Tay? Wonderful.

Post 26 Nov 2013, 02:35 • #7 
Sport
I have at least a half doz. Cummings built rods. Unfortunately they're built by the wrong Cummings. I'd love to have a Vince Cummings rod to add to mine I just can't afford one.
Mike Cummings :)

Post 26 Nov 2013, 03:06 • #8 
Sport
I have a sniff at one.
8'
#5/6
2 piece
Royal Graphite

I am told that Mr Cummings early graphite rods were constructed from low modulus graphite and as a result were less stiff than other early graphite rods. Any truth in this?

Would you buy this rod?

Post 26 Nov 2013, 03:30 • #9 
Sport
Rockthief wrote:
Yes I would buy one. You live near or on the Tay? Wonderful.

I stay on the Ericht, which feeds the Isla which in turn joins the Tay approx. 2 miles down river. We have Salmon, Sea Trout, Trout, Grayling, some Rainbow escapees.

We fish Salmon from mid January until October.
We fish Trout mid March until October, although usually by the end of May most of the trout have moved down to the Isla and the Tay to the colder water.

Scotland is a great place to live and raise a family, I am an Anglo Irish incomer, but in Scotland all are welcome.

Post 26 Nov 2013, 03:32 • #10 
Sport
mjc3834 wrote:
I have at least a half doz. Cummings built rods. Unfortunately they're built by the wrong Cummings. I'd love to have a Vince Cummings rod to add to mine I just can't afford one.
Mike Cummings :)

That's funny, but seriously, I wish I could build one like yours, nice looking rod.

Post 26 Nov 2013, 06:33 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Cummings was very early in experimenting with graphite rods. But all first generation graphite was relatively "low" modulus compared to most produced just a few years later as "modulus" (stiffness, essentially) became the trend. Once it wore out that "high modulus" relative to fiberglass was superior, first generation graphite became "low" modulus, and then "high modulus" advanced, e.g. the Fenwick "HMG" (High Modulus Graphite), which was soon "low" modulus as "IM" I"' improved' modulus") became a surrogate way of indicating stiffness, along with a number, such as IM3 to indicate still stiffer fibers, which were soon "low" relative to IM 6, and so on. This evolution of materials, as opposed to some composite material unique to Cummings, who purchased blanks from various suppliers, is probably how they came to be thought of as less stiff.

Cummings rods would be "low" modulus graphite, but I don't think they were any "lower" than any other first generation rods. The actions he produced, though, could certainly have favored a rod that would feel softer/slower than most on the market, fairly stiff tips being a problem in early graphite.

Post 06 May 2021, 14:48 • #12 
Sport
Sorry to dredge up the past, but I have a 7’ Vince Cummings FL270 that throws a 4 and 5 equally well with the 4 better rod long and 5 for in close. It is tobacco brown wrapped in a greenish gold. Anyone have any additional info? I can attest to the roll casting prowess of these rods. Thanks.

Post 11 May 2021, 20:51 • #13 
Guide
I have a 7' 1 piece Vince Cummings glass rod called a "Timberdoodle Farm Special". Sweet little rod and casts a wide variety of line sizes.

Tom

Post 10 Jun 2021, 13:42 • #14 
Guide
I just went fishing with my Vince Cummings Water Witch 7 1/2" rod.

It is no joke that this rod can cast a number of line weights, very well indeed.

I had previously fished it only with a 3 wt and and 4wt lines, and was very happy.
Because I picked up the wrong line spool, I ended up fishing it with a 6DT line and couldn't have been happier.
This rod blows me away on its ability to adapt and be agreeable to any line.

I need to find an 8' or 8'+ rod with the same characteristics. Two rods and done for my typical fishing environments.

Post 10 Jun 2021, 15:14 • #15 
Piscator
if you only get one rod, Water Witch is it.

Post 26 Jun 2021, 07:24 • #16 
Master Guide
Kelleystand,

That sounds like a sweet rod. I just did some searching and it seems these really are as rare as rocking horse poop. I’d love to know more about where you got yours and Vince Cummings fiberglass offerings in general!

Post 26 Jun 2021, 18:08 • #17 
Guide
Anyone have an idea if all of the river rats/water witch rods shared the same tendency with lines today to fish lines lower than the marked lines? For my 7' 1/2" listed as a 6/7. I fish it as a 5 the most.

I see the River Rat 85 (8.5 foot 8/9) wondering if it would like to be fished at 6/7? Anyone have expect with the 85?

Post 27 Jun 2021, 11:08 • #18 
Master Guide
Had the 85. Would say it was best enjoyed with 7-8 lines but capable of 6-9.

Post 29 Jun 2021, 17:57 • #19 
I have a 7ft ultimate 4 wt. that I got right from Vince in 85-86 that throws a great dry fly, Mike

Post 09 Aug 2021, 20:17 • #20 
Sport
Just coming back to this thread. I saw the fl-270 on the eVil site over the winter. Found a very reasonable Cummings spin rod, too. And also an 85 river rat. Only lawn cast so far as I have plenty to move on before I get to those. The fl-270 is really smooth, like a silaflex, but not too slow. Great recovery and sensitive with just a little line out. I look forward to fishing it some day.

New Topic Add Reply