It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:15

New Topic Add Reply
Fenwick FF804-2J
Post 22 Nov 2013, 16:26 • #1 
Sport
Can anyone tell me more about this rod?
I know that it was made in Japan (at least I think it was?) Does anyone know when, and if it is comparable with the american made ones?

Re: Fenwick FF804-2J
Post 26 Nov 2013, 08:21 • #2 
Master Guide
Hi Soren,
I have never personally seen this model, but here is some info posted by our administrator jgestar in this site's Wiki a few years ago:

Discontinued Tiemco Models

Fenwick Classic Glass - these rods were produced around 2000. These are very retro looking Fenwicks with brown blanks, classic Fenwick cork grips, and the bakery twine butt wrap. But the reelseats are bright hardware, skeleton down locking, with walnut inserts. Fenwick never marketed 4 weight glass fly rods in the US. It's too bad, because these are smooth and soft rods, but very capable casting machines once you slow down your casting stroke. If Fenwick had included these 4 weights with the Fenglass rods marketed in the US in about 2000, the whole line would have sold much better. There were three Classic Glass models: FF764-2J, a 7½ foot, 2 piece, 4 weight; FF804-2J, an 8 foot, 2 piece, 4 weight, and FF756-4J, a 7½ foot, 4 piece, 6 weight.

Post 26 Nov 2013, 09:28 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Pictures?

Post 26 Nov 2013, 11:17 • #4 
Administrator
I can't think of anything to add beyond the quote from the Wiki. The rods look very much like the Fenwick retro rods sold 10-15 years back. The rod tubes were cordura slender tubes instead of the brown triangular plastic. The biggest difference is the reelseat. The FF804-2J has a wood insert with more substantial locking hardware.

Right now the rod is in a box in the basement. I'm not sure when I will be able to get that box unpacked. Pictures may be awhile.

Tom

Post 02 Nov 2022, 21:24 • #5 
Master Guide
Hi Tom,
Ever get to that box?

Post 03 Nov 2022, 03:54 • #6 
Administrator
Maybe...

Post 04 Nov 2022, 06:34 • #7 
Guide
I have one. Besides being a 4wt, it also has a lightning warning in Japanese. And the real seat is wood with higher end chrome fittings . The biggest difference from the American market 7.5” 6wt Classic Glass is that the Classic Glass script is different and the American market is the only Fenwick’s that I have seen WITHOUT the bakery twine.

I have the original tags. Japanese writing also with Fenwick logo and Tiemco . Made in Taiwan. . Rod sock, no tube.
My American market versions are the FF 756-4 and SF 74-4 Spin/Fly with Tennessee grip and rings.
The FF74-4 is almost identical to a non Serial number Voyageur that has the bakery twine. The Eagle logo on the earlier Voyaguer has a thicker black outline like the Woodstreams and for some reason, the inserts in the guides are slightly thicker. But other than the twine, they are identical.

Only the J version says “E-Glass with Feralite ferrule”. They all say “Made by Fenwick Taiwan”

And if you look real close you will notice that the pole under the eagle on the “American market” rods has no rod grip. It’s a double tip rod. I used quotations because I am only assuming these were targeted to the American market. They are all higher end fit and finish than the earlier rods. With the J model having very high grade cork.

Post 12 Nov 2022, 22:03 • #8 
Master Guide
Excellent information thanks.

New Topic Add Reply