It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:21

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Sep 2018, 13:24 • #76 
Glass Fanatic
CrustyBugger wrote:
The 322980 is a fantastic 7wt, superb really. People can bitch about the cigar shape but it’s pretty darn easy to sand the grip down to how you want it, for crying out loud. It’s certainly thick enough to sand it down to something you like.

Yes. I picked up a pair of 222-series Silaflexes from the local classifieds a couple of years ago and ended up selling them because the big grip was uncomfortable for me and they were in such great shape that I felt bad about altering them. I now regret this decision (particularly with the 7ft’er) and have resolved that the next one I get my hands on is going straight on the lathe.

Post 22 Sep 2018, 23:10 • #77 
Master Guide
Here’s another vote for the 8.5’ Steffen 6/7. My smallmouth fishing is done on big rivers with either a single popper or a popper/dropper combo. Every time I fish the Steffen 6/7 for smallies, I feel like it’s the perfect tool for the job - strong enough to push a heavy popper/dropper combo as far as I need, but still has plenty of feel with smaller fish.

The Fenwick FF85-3 and FF806-4 are both great vintage options, but the Steffen 6/7 is noticeably lighter in hand and a bit crisper in action.

I generally reserve my Steffen 5/6 for trout because it’s a little light for my smallmouth fishing since I’m usually throwing poppers.

Post 24 Sep 2018, 09:24 • #78 
Master Guide
I have a total of 5 glass rods that I use for Smallies:
Steffen 8' 7/8 2pc, this one gets fished on the smaller rivers, I found that it really likes a Wulff Triangle Taper 7wt.
********* 8'-9" 7wt 4pc, this one gets used the most, especially when the water levels are near normal or low, this rod will also double as a big trout streamer rod.
McFarland 8'-8" 6/7 4pc, got this blank from back in the Seele days, by far the stiffest glass rod I own, it loves casting big streamers with a 7wt.
CTS Quartz 8'-6" 8wt 4pc, nice stick for casting big surface poppers, I use it mostly out of the boat or float tube, more use on Large Mouth Bass in the lily pads.
Epic 8'-8" 8wt 4pc, when the flows are up on my home turf Hudson and Mohawk rivers, this one gets used, sometimes a big Pike is encountered so it helps to have the extra power in an 8wt to get them in. Its also wrestled in a few Channel Cats, they are like trying to move a hooked bucket up river.

Post 24 Sep 2018, 23:08 • #79 
Glass Fanatic
I’ve really gotten into stream fishing for smallmouth fishing this year. I fish mostly on small streams using weighted closuer minnows so I prefer using a shorter rod. My two favorites are the Browning Silaflex 322980 and the 7.5 ft Cabela’s CGR 7/8.

Post 25 Sep 2018, 18:50 • #80 
Glass Fanatic
And yet another vote for the ********* 8'9" #7.

Post 26 Sep 2018, 01:06 • #81 
Master Guide
I'd go with a Fenwick FF85 2 piece. The rod has backbone and can handle monster smallies if need be, but also still feels amazing with a 9 or 10 incher on.

Post 26 Sep 2018, 03:34 • #82 
Glass Fanatic
Which of these rods has a low swing weight? I have a lot of rods which will launch a 7wt line with some weight, but they all are pretty heavy. Something out of S-glass? A round 8’?

Post 26 Sep 2018, 05:51 • #83 
Master Guide
The formula for swing weight requires a PhD to useso I pass on comparisons with any meaning.

But I doubt you will get a lighter in hand tougher rod then the Epic 686. Fitted out with serious guides and reel seat and an Ambush line it will belt out medium size steamers and bugs with the best of them and handle good size smallies/trout to boot. Mine made by Shane is a marvel.

Heddonist

Post 26 Sep 2018, 12:02 • #84 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Heddon. Anyone here tried both the Epic 686 and the Steffen 6/7? I’m sure they are both terrific, but are there some differences of note?

Post 26 Sep 2018, 12:21 • #85 
Master Guide
Newfydog wrote:
Which of these rods has a low swing weight? I have a lot of rods which will launch a 7wt line with some weight, but they all are pretty heavy. Something out of S-glass? A round 8’?

Fenwick Feralite FF806....

Tight lines,
Bob

Post 26 Sep 2018, 13:25 • #86 
Master Guide
The Epic 686 and Steffen 8-6 6/7, difference is in my opinion, the Epic is a 6wt and the Steffen a 7wt. Both are great casting rods, the Steffen is more of a 7wt, plus it is a bit heavier in the hand also. Generally speaking to, most Steffen blanks are more progressive in taper than an Epic blank, tips tend to be softer with stronger mid and butt sections on the Steffens, while the tapers on the Epics tend to be more of an "even load" though out the blank. Just different designs in taper, both will get the job done and quite well.

Post 26 Sep 2018, 15:14 • #87 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks guys, just what i was looking for.

Think I’ll get Mark S to make me a rod while the bass sleep this winter.

Post 27 Sep 2018, 18:11 • #88 
Glass Fanatic
wjude wrote:
The Epic 686 and Steffen 8-6 6/7, difference is in my opinion, the Epic is a 6wt and the Steffen a 7wt. Both are great casting rods, the Steffen is more of a 7wt, plus it is a bit heavier in the hand also. Generally speaking to, most Steffen blanks are more progressive in taper than an Epic blank, tips tend to be softer with stronger mid and butt sections on the Steffens, while the tapers on the Epics tend to be more of an "even load" though out the blank. Just different designs in taper, both will get the job done and quite well.

Yes. I find the 686 to be a pretty deep flexing blank. It’s fast in that it recovers quickly and without bounce, but it’s not a tippy rod. I don’t have the 6/7 but the 3 Steffens I do have are all consistently more progressive in style. And amazingly similar to one another in feel, actually - I think that’s the most amazing thing about Mark’s rods: seems like a Steffen feels like a Steffen whether it’s a 4/5 or a 7/8.

Post 28 Sep 2018, 11:17 • #89 
Glass Fanatic
Newfy - in terms of swing weight, for me the FF806-4 is the lowest. I still like the FF856-5, FF85, FF85-3, and Seele 886-4, but they definitely have the higher swing weight. E or S glass (carbon, for that matter), I guess the length is a big component swing weight.

I guess I like the shorter sticks for wading and the longer ones for fishing out of the canoe.

Post 29 Sep 2018, 12:41 • #90 
Steffen 5/6 with an opst 200 grain commando head. Awesome setup.

Post 08 Mar 2019, 21:09 • #91 
Guide
I am personally looking forward in trying the Blue Halo 8'6" 7wt out on my small Ozark smallmouth stream! I have heard nothing but good reviews on the rod.

Post 18 Mar 2019, 12:23 • #92 
Master Guide
Last year, the CGR 4 wgt. definitely moved it’s way up my list.

Post 18 Mar 2019, 19:10 • #93 
Master Guide
The Scientific Anglers System 8 is a fantastic rod... surprised it has not been mentioned. The SA System 7 (if you prefer a little lighter line). Pretty common rod and sells below its value quite often.
The Fenwick FF85 (7-8-9) with a WF8 is another good one, sells for very little. The Sceptre 7-8-9, think is was a 8'6" rod... another good taper (not very often seen).

Post 19 Mar 2019, 05:58 • #94 
Piscator
Both great big water rods.
In my little limestone creeks and endemic bass, System 5 is perfect, and I wouldn't pass up a System 6 for smallmouth fishing.

Post 19 Mar 2019, 08:58 • #95 
Glass Fanatic
Any short 7.5 or less 6wt for streams,must roll cast well and load short.Now that my son has a boat that can handle Lake Michigan I will have to see what works.Something that will throw closers at least 75 feet.Many 7lb sm were caught out on those break walls last year.Thinking of teeny lines and my 8.6 Gowdy parametric.

Post 19 Mar 2019, 13:03 • #96 
Glass Fanatic
Not sure I have a favorite, but, I like several that are 8' & 8'6" in 7 & 8 wts and they aren't special to small mouth but can catch almost any fish in the creek or lake. I sorta believe any rod in that size would work as well as any other- some days I really prefer one over another, then a week or three later I'll like the other better; small differences in swing weight or balance or action suiting my own mood better on a given day. If I had to choose just one it'd be an unlabeled 8 1/2 foot 8-9wt that I pulled out of a barrel at a discount house forty some years ago. It's only fault is weight in hand and I only notice that after a few hours. The FF80, FF85, FR2000, yellow St Croix and a dozen others that names don't matter all did what they were supposed to. I have even caught small mouth with graphite rods. I'd like to compare all the above mentioned tools one day.

It'd be interesting to fit out all these rods with the same grips, reel seats and guides and paint them all orange or pink for anonymity; then have a group of you all fish with each and pick a favorite by number. Repeat it six weeks later and see if there were changes in choice.

Post 23 Mar 2019, 19:38 • #97 
Master Guide
Fiberglass fly rods were just made for smallmouth bass fishing. So many great vintage and more recent options. Have only lawn cast the Epic 686 which felt right for bass fishing. Looking forward to trying the longer options from ********* and others but for my experience the ones below are pretty special.

Fine river rod for bass with a name to fit.

Morgan Unity by Leiderman almost too pretty to fish.

Vintage classics in 7 weight Winston and SA McKellip custom

SA 7 a favorite bass rod in action on smallmouth bass

Masked European angler with his own amazing Steffen 8/9 a fine big water bass rod

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply