It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:57

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Japanese Glass Rods
Post 21 May 2012, 23:26 • #26 
Guide
I liked the look of all these rods. The Tobacco Glass especially caught my eye. Do you get these Japanese rods on Ebay? I have never seen them sold anywhere, but I wasn't looking either. Now I'd like to take a look. Is there a website to go to that has more info on the Japanese glass rods?

Post 17 Oct 2014, 20:37 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Duff wrote:
Photo from Gearboy's 2012 Tiemco catalog. ..

Love to try the Naoto Shibuya 7'9" #3 5-piece but at 78,750 JPY it's really expensive. The Tiemco rods have a wonderful look I think - very traditional.

Has anyone had a chance to cast this rod? I keep thinking about it.

Post 17 Oct 2014, 22:37 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Odd to see a two year old post revisited. I never heard of the Shibuya rod. It had better be beyond awesome to go for that kind of coin.
I had as many as four Japanese rods up till recently. I sold off a pair of Tiemco made Fenwicks. They were made in China and heavy. They were powerful rods too. I had the 7'3" #3 "Triple Apple" and 7'6" #5 "Indian Summer". Good rods with short grips.
I still have a pair of Old Beech "Quiet Loops". The 7'0" #4 cast fine with a WF4. The 7'0" #2 feels underlined with a WF2. I prefer it with a DT2 or WF3. Some folks are stating that the Japanese glass rods they have are slow action. The Fenwicks and Quiet Loops are progressive and relatively quick for glass. The Quiet Loops a a bit heavy but quite good. I tried to sell the #2, failed and tried it with a DT2. Now it's a go to small stream rod!

Japanese Glass Rods
Post 18 Oct 2014, 07:21 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Not sure if odd but like to see topics that contain substantial information that can be built upon, plus cool to see how thoughts and opinions change over time. I really like the grip and reel seat in the Naoto photos.

Other than the Injuin and Kabuto rods, anyone else buying rods from Japan? Always like reading about less known rods like the IZCH, fenwicks, axisco, and many others from navy bass.

Post 18 Oct 2014, 07:24 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
There are a series of Tiemco videos with this rod. They are nice high quality fishing videos. In fact one has some great "casting glass" tutorials. However they are in Japanese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0D_QtvF1qY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZmp1idI3lw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVOcN1kFL9w

And this one is just fun to watch, thought the same guy is using a different rod (I can't tell if it is bamboo or graphite, but it is a beautiful rod).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uyQZ5OFZsw

These are fun to watch if you can't get out to the stream.
And for entertainment, YouTube has a CC feature with "translate". You can get the same experience as translating the Blue Dunn website in video form.

Post 18 Oct 2014, 08:17 • #31 
Piscator
ARReflections wrote:
Other than the Injuin and Kabuto rods, anyone else buying rods from Japan? Always like reading about less known rods like the IZCH, fenwicks, axisco, and many others from navy bass.

Of course the difference is custom rods v. off-the-shelf production rods. The prices reflect the difference, but Japanese tastes are still pretty nice, though they like small grips - SoK, I do, too.

My good friend Curtis bought an Izch trout rod and was disappointed with the quality of the finish.
I couldn't be happier with my Izch salt rod, and there may be a difference in finish quality, since my rod was a hand-rolled blank on order and finished by the master, though the price was in line with a custom rod.

Post 18 Oct 2014, 08:50 • #32 
Guide
Do you fellows ever take any of these rods fishing, or are they merely for collectible/ornamental value? They are quite pretty, so I could see both angles.

Post 18 Oct 2014, 10:46 • #33 
Master Guide
Here is a photo of my UDA (Campenella) 7'7" 6pce 3wt. It has a solid graphite tip. Lovely finish and casts great with a Sylk DT3 or even a 4, a really nice medium fast rod with great control due to the tip. Typical Japanese attention to the smallest detail. I believe the blanks are made in Japan too. Blue Dun sells them and they have great service.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post 18 Oct 2014, 11:13 • #34 
Piscator
Dizzydean wrote:
Do you fellows ever take any of these rods fishing, or are they merely for collectible/ornamental value? They are quite pretty, so I could see both angles.

search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=bulldog1935&fid%5B%5D=2&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search :rolleyes

Post 18 Oct 2014, 12:30 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Great looking rod, rsagebrush. Did you buy that direct from Blue Dun? If so, is it fairly easy to do?

Post 18 Oct 2014, 12:45 • #36 
Master Guide
Duff,
The speed of shipping would put some CONUS vendor's to shame.
Quite easy to order and very courteous people as are all Japanese.

Post 18 Oct 2014, 14:21 • #37 
Master Guide
Rsagebrush-

I have been eyeing that UDA Campenella rod for a while now and it is awesome looking! I know the tip is solid graphite, but is the rest of the rod glass?

Wes

Post 18 Oct 2014, 16:57 • #38 
Master Guide
Just the tip is graphite, the other sections are fiberglass according to Blue Dunn.

Post 18 Oct 2014, 17:03 • #39 
Master Guide
Rsagebrush -

Is the rod semi transparent?

Regards

Wes

Post 18 Oct 2014, 18:17 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
very cool looking rod. Appears as if it might be a black blank that's been painted? notice the spigots are black.

Post 18 Oct 2014, 18:31 • #41 
Master Guide
Wes,
No, the blank is painted that color.

I have no idea if the blank it black and would not think that because the spigots are black the blank would be. Contact Blue Dun on those particulars as they may be able to give you the answer.

Post 18 Oct 2014, 18:55 • #42 
Master Guide
So I looked, the blanks are indeed black.

Upon second thought this rod could actually be graphite. But there is mention of 'Classic Glass"
Then 'Graphite Series' I might have sinned on this board.

Anyways, it is a really nice rod.

Post 20 Oct 2014, 23:22 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
Rsagebrush,
If the rod is graphite, that's OK. If you like it you like it. It's not like you discovered you're dating your cousin.

Post 21 Oct 2014, 07:50 • #44 
Master Guide
Thanks Rsagebrush!

Post 21 Oct 2014, 07:53 • #45 
Piscator
as long as he repented... :hat
I would think a graphite tip with a balance glass blank would make a very nice parabolic taper.

Post 21 Oct 2014, 10:04 • #46 
Guide
Kerry Burkheimer told me a few stories about how Russ Peak made some graphite tip/ fiberglass butt parabolics that he seemed to really like. Also Rsagebrush, I think your rod might be carbon. Look at the male ferrules. Unless its a glass rod with graphite ferrules its a graphite rod. Very pretty either way.

Last edited by Dizzydean on 21 Oct 2014, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post 21 Oct 2014, 12:19 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
Dizzy- two things

1) i once owned a Peak rod with graphite tip and fiberglass butt sections. Pretty neat rod. Moved it on because its worth allowed me to trade for a bamboo rod I had been coveting

2) the Axisco 'Arrite Stream' japanese-made rods are fiberglass with carbon spigot ferrules

Post 21 Oct 2014, 12:52 • #48 
Guide
Yea, it could be either way, hard to say with the painted blank. Its a beauty either way. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you enjoy fishing it, that's what matters. Personally Ill fish carbon, glass or cane, they all can be made into fantastic rods. Its like other art. Graphite pencils, oil paintbrushes or spray paint cans. They can all be used to make something beautiful, it just depends on the hands of the creator and their inspiration.

Post 21 Oct 2014, 14:08 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
Instead of looking at the male ferrule, try looking into the female side with a light and see what the inside of the blank wall looks like

Post 21 Oct 2014, 20:09 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
Corlay listed one and two.
3) Hardy "Glass Perfection" has graphite ferrules.
Besides, the Campanella is drool worthy no matter what it's made of.
How does it cast compared to glass rods and graphite rods? Is there a rod you can liken it to?

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply