It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:09

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Japanese Glass Rods
Post 26 Jun 2023, 10:12 • #126 
Guide
Amen to that. Who the heck wants a 7" grip on a 3wt rod.

Post 27 Jun 2023, 10:00 • #127 
Glass Fanatic
Someone with big hands, someone who uses a variety of reels, someone who needs to be able to relax the hand by varying the grip position--and so on. I, too, would prefer a relatively short grip, but longer ones offer the most options to a wider range of potential users/buyers. The Japanese rods are marketed to a narrower population and user niche. Essentially, a long grip can be used as a "short" grip. A short grip cannot be used as a "long" grip.

Post 27 Jun 2023, 10:59 • #128 
Glass Fanatic
whrlpool wrote:
Essentially, a long grip can be used as a "short" grip. A short grip cannot be used as a "long" grip.

My issues with "long grips" are mostly directed at short rods (<= 7') and/or slow tapers.
An overly log grip reduces the "effective length" of the taper.
Sometimes quite significantly, especially if long grip + long reel seat.

Post 27 Jun 2023, 11:53 • #129 
Glass Fanatic
I've had boo with short grips and would have preferred larger grip. Can be a little cramping on the hands if too small. Of course just my opinion.

Last edited by GRASSNGLASS on 28 Jun 2023, 12:10, edited 2 times in total.

Post 27 Jun 2023, 12:52 • #130 
Glass Fanatic
Yes. But suiting the market and keeping production simple is the driving factor with run of the mill 3-weights, as opposed to the more specialized market. The question was not which grip is more suitable, but "who . . . wants." The answer is all the people who buy them, whether they think about why they did or not.

Post 27 Jun 2023, 13:02 • #131 
Master Guide

If the grip fits fish it … I’m with Corlay and have a serious addiction to Japanese 3wts.

Post 27 Jun 2023, 16:06 • #132 
Glass Fanatic
Cyguy wrote:
I’m with Corlay and have a serious addiction to Japanese 3wts.

hey there - tell us some more, about that yellow Campanella. ;-)

Post 28 Jun 2023, 08:56 • #133 
Master Guide
Hi Corlay,

Well that is a spectacular 7’ 3wt Campanella Yellow Sally #3 of 50 special edition. Hiroki says this is their first fiberglass rod and they poured their heart and soul into it. They have done collaborations in the past but this is the first “pure” Campanella glass rod. It has a

superb sticky action and the craftsmanship is excellent. Ken says they are getting ready to release some more glass and it sounds like these will be a regular stock item, not special editions like the Yellow Sally or River Song collab. The Ryobi 255MG balances it perfectly and it loves a Japanese Custom SA Finesse 3wt DT. I’ve used a Tiemco LDL leader with it and it handles that very well also.

Last edited by Cyguy on 28 Jun 2023, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

Post 28 Jun 2023, 15:25 • #134 
Glass Fanatic
GRASSNGLASS wrote:
I've had boo with short grips and would have preferred larger grip. Can be a little cramping on the hands if too small. Of course just my opinion.

Do you just (try to) hold the grip?
Try 'sliding down' with your lower palm down the spacer part a bit

Post 29 Jun 2023, 08:38 • #135 
Glass Fanatic
There are different ways to hold a fly rod, and different ways for any one user to hold it according to what is being done with it. The blank and grip length and contour can also take into account the rod's feel and action as Corlay mentioned. Nevertheless, the hand should be able to find a natural position on the grip--as opposed to the grip confining/determining the hand position. I often prefer to hold low onto the reel seat but would never build a grip that made me hold only that way. There is no one shape or length for all users who might consider owning a given factory model. The 5-inch grip is good to have on the market, but not for everyone anymore than a 7-inch grip is.

Post 04 Jul 2023, 10:15 • #136 
Master Guide
All the Japanese rods, Fly, conventional and fixed line that I have seen and used have all been exceptionally creative and generally great fishing instruments.

The are fanatical about detail.

Post 21 Jul 2023, 10:57 • #137 
Glass Fanatic
whrlpool wrote:
There are different ways to hold a fly rod, and different ways for any one user to hold it according to what is being done with it. The blank and grip length and contour can also take into account the rod's feel and action as Corlay mentioned. Nevertheless, the hand should be able to find a natural position on the grip--as opposed to the grip confining/determining the hand position. I often prefer to hold low onto the reel seat but would never build a grip that made me hold only that way. There is no one shape or length for all users who might consider owning a given factory model. The 5-inch grip is good to have on the market, but not for everyone anymore than a 7-inch grip is.

Excellent point, while I also like to hold the rod way down on the grip/reel seat when casting I change grip and hand when fighting a fish and then it's natural for me to move the hand up the handle. I suppose that since the Japanese trout/char seem to be very small, making the grip more versatile for fish fighting isn't a priority.

Post 22 Jul 2023, 07:57 • #138 
Glass Fanatic
If anything Japanese builders will keep the classic fiberglass heritage alive

Post 22 Jul 2023, 15:42 • #139 
Guide
A couple of years ago, a Japanese maker “custom” built an 8’ 3 wt for me. Custom features included the fiberglass blank color (brown), wrap color (clear), striping guide material, reel seat style (cap & ring), reel seat wood (stacked bamboo), grip length (13 cork rings) and shape (Garrison modified to my specific diameter measurements).

I’ve had other rods (glass and cane) custom built with similar grip size and shape and even Winston modified their grips on a glass and graphite rod to meet my requirements.

It is a comfortable, functional work of art…the wait was more than worth obtaining a true custom built rod.

I’m weighing whether or not to order a cane rod from him.

Post 30 Jul 2023, 14:34 • #140 
Master Guide
I’m late to the party - never fished a Japanese glass fly rod. Decided to rectify that yesterday and ordered an Ijuin Yomogi 663 blank. Looking forward to building and fishing my first Japanese 3wt soon.

Post 01 Aug 2023, 21:59 • #141 
Master Guide
El Duderino guarantee it will not be your last Japanese rod! They are like Lay’s potato chips …

Post 03 Aug 2023, 07:04 • #142 
Piscator
It can get worse. (S-glass B/C)
Image Image Image
................................Image

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 New Topic Add Reply